Re: WMMBA: Merrell Trail

Postby mr_opjones » October 22nd, 2012, 1:02 pm

Nice, what's the drop around 5'?
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby RickPlite » October 22nd, 2012, 1:04 pm

mr_opjones wrote:Nice, what's the drop around 5'?

maybe 3.5'-4'
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby jfactor! » October 22nd, 2012, 1:22 pm

RickPlite wrote:
mr_opjones wrote:Nice, what's the drop around 5'?

maybe 3.5'-4'

Hmmmm.....
:D
jfactor!

Postby Wired29 » October 22nd, 2012, 1:32 pm

RickPlite wrote:
jfactor! wrote:
kyle_vk wrote:for pete's sake someone please get a video of someone conquering nessy (or failing gloriously)!!

Is this Nessy?

yes, or some call it Logness Monster. I haven't heard of anyone attempting the drop off the the actual tail end (raised)

Where is this? I've ridden there twice and must have missed it both times!
Wired29

Postby dirtjunkie » November 17th, 2012, 2:35 pm

There is already some mud being created by the thaw/frost cycle on the Sawtooth section. The rest of the trail is really good. We unclipped and got out of that section without incident, but there were a number of tire tracks thru there. Use your head out there!
dirtjunkie

Postby F7Cannon » November 18th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Made it out for the first time today. Great job to the builders of this awesome trail! I don't care what any one says, I think even the "expert racers" can have fun out here and find several spots challenging. Trail is in great shape with the exception of Sawtooth being muddy, I wanted to check it out so it was no big deal to hop off the bike and walk around it.

Did two full laps today and only left a little blood on the trail, had a blast though. :wink:
F7Cannon

Postby bil » November 23rd, 2012, 8:17 pm

yup some guy and his kid, guess rick had yelled at him before I did, some people are just not very smart
bil

Postby lampenj » December 8th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Here was the video: http://youtu.be/TrAEfNLlPYo
lampenj

Postby AllMountin' » December 9th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Trail was good FATBIKING late this morning, and was beautiful with all the snow on the ground and branches.

I would NOT recommend riding a standard MTB out here right now, except during a hard freeze.

Temps were within a couple degrees of freezing(33-35*F) while I was out there(11am). Trail was a mix of still frozen tread, dry tread, and greasy superficial mud. No issues with the fattie, but there are numerous places where skinny tire tracks have sunk past superficial or slid around in the corners. Much of the grease is on the entry/exit sections, with the Wilderness Loop being pretty good. Sloppy spot at the bottom of Siren, near the reentry of Sawtooth. Some slickness in parts of Sawtooth, but the power line area was surprisingly frozen solid. Wouldn't be so in sunlight. Phaser was terrific.

Riding skinny tires would mean severely compromised traction in some sections, and minor trail damage in others. I would have bailed. Ride FAT, ride frozen, or ride elsewhere IMO.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby bikesatori » December 21st, 2012, 4:40 pm

Think these trails will dry/freeze by this Sunday 12/23/12?? Temps in forecast look quite cool, and dry... just not sure if you folks over there have much snow accumulation on the ground?
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby RickPlite » December 21st, 2012, 4:45 pm

bikesatori wrote:Think these trails will dry/freeze by this Sunday 12/23/12?? Temps in forecast look quite cool, and dry... just not sure if you folks over there have much snow accumulation on the ground?

conditions update: the parking lot and trail head are soft with puddles but the ground is firming up. It is suppose to be in the 20's at night for the next week or so and in the low 30's for highs. The trails should be good starting tomorrow. Same holds true for Luton Park. We have about a 1/2" of snow on the ground and it has stopped snowing.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby bikesatori » December 21st, 2012, 5:03 pm

RickPlite wrote:
bikesatori wrote:Think these trails will dry/freeze by this Sunday 12/23/12?? Temps in forecast look quite cool, and dry... just not sure if you folks over there have much snow accumulation on the ground?

conditions update: the parking lot and trail head are soft with puddles but the ground is firming up. It is suppose to be in the 20's at night for the next week or so and in the low 30's for highs. The trails should be good starting tomorrow. Same holds true for Luton Park. We have about a 1/2" of snow on the ground and it has stopped snowing.

awesome, sounds like a recipe for SHRED, well, responsible shred, not just tear up the trail conditions with dirtbike ruts shred.

Will probably head over to Luton for a lap too if conditions work out!

Thanks for the update, happppy holllllidays!
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby cramer » January 18th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Was nice out there today. Some frozen ruts but otherwise in good shape, no trees down. Snapped a chainring bolt and folded my front ring like a pretzel trying to get over the lip at the top of the powerline hill on Sawtooth in the red direction. Kind of a longish walk out but I could at least coast down some hills. Still had a great ride.
cramer

Postby Mike_D » January 18th, 2013, 3:55 pm

cramer wrote:Snapped a chainring bolt and folded my front ring like a pretzel

You're an animal!!! :mrgreen:
Mike_D

Postby Buck91 » January 18th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Word on the street says rubbers are good, front stud or both studs?
Buck91

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions