Western: Merrell Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: WMMBA: Merrell Trail

Postby Mountain_Biking » September 11th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Thank you to whoever found my car key, unlocked my doors, turned off my car, and left key in door handle.

I had a flat tire near marker 10. I fixed flat, but didn't zip up my saddle bag. Car key fell out. Get back to car, notice that, but always keep a spare underneath my car. I use that to unlock car door, start the car, which tripped the car alarm. I turn that off, shut my doors and hear the doors lock. So now my car is running with the last key locked in.

I ride back to marker 10, walk the trail for a mile looking for key. Finish the lap, get back to my car and there it is, sitting in door handle. Apple Ipad, Iphone, Wallet, wedding rings all safe.

I asked around but nobody knew who did it. So thank you. It would have been a long night without that good deed. Hopefully good Karma comes back around.
Mountain_Biking

Postby xcrdr » September 11th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Lost a tool bag there sunday. Anyone find it? Either on my first attempt at Nessy of the skinny that starts the tech section going in the red direction. Also, my son tamed Nessy quite nicely. He also loved the rock drop (the line on the far right). As a matter of fact he rode all stunts in all directions and enjoyed himself thoroughly! That trail is a blast!
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fuse Expert :D

2017 Goal: Ride some
2018 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby xcrdr » September 11th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Mountain_Biking wrote:Thank you to whoever found my car key, unlocked my doors, turned off my car, and left key in door handle.

I had a flat tire near marker 10. I fixed flat, but didn't zip up my saddle bag. Car key fell out. Get back to car, notice that, but always keep a spare underneath my car. I use that to unlock car door, start the car, which tripped the car alarm. I turn that off, shut my doors and hear the doors lock. So now my car is running with the last key locked in.

I ride back to marker 10, walk the trail for a mile looking for key. Finish the lap, get back to my car and there it is, sitting in door handle. Apple Ipad, Iphone, Wallet, wedding rings all safe.

I asked around but nobody knew who did it. So thank you. It would have been a long night without that good deed. Hopefully good Karma comes back around.

All's well that ends well! :D
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fuse Expert :D

2017 Goal: Ride some
2018 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby georgemra » September 17th, 2012, 7:30 am

What a fun trail. I tip my hat to those that designed and executed the construction of this trail. I was there on Saturday so I rode it in the yellow direction. It was a good time, but I can see how the Phaser and Siren downhills with the Wilderness climb could be even more fun. Keep up the good work.
georgemra

Postby Jered Michael » September 17th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Wow what a gem! So much fun. Took a spill off that first skinny that goes up about 4-5 feet and then down and even came up grinning. Many thanks to all the good folks and volunteers who helped build this trail.
Jered Michael

Postby TuRBo Todd » September 17th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Rode it Wednesday (red) for the first time. Looking forward to riding yellow tomorrow (hope it's as good, as I like the downhill sections on red). There were sections that reminded me of other trails, but not Luton! They are quite different in my opinion. Anyways, thanks to all who made this trail happen. GR/Rockford is quickly becoming a Michigan mtb mecca!
On 2 wheels, or thinking about them
TuRBo Todd

Postby ReidRules18 » September 19th, 2012, 7:04 am

I finally managed to ride the Yellow trail the other day (after doing red multiple times). And what a blast! I had a smile each time I did the decent, and kept going back for more. I am glad that it is mult-directional it's like 2 trails in 1
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby Hudnut » September 24th, 2012, 5:44 am

Rode for the first time sunday. trail is in great condition and wearing in nicely with no dust or sand anywhere. Can't wait to go back.
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby RickPlite » September 26th, 2012, 9:41 am

Grand Opening Ribbon Cutting Ceremony

When: Saturday, September 29

Where: 2908 10-Mile road. NE Rockford, MI
(Parking lot located down the service drive behind Macatawa Bank)

What: Grand opening of the New Merrell Trail

9:30 - 10:00 ? Arrival, register to win Merrell & WMMBA giveaways
1st 100 people receive Merrell water bottles
Free lunch and beverage tickets

10:15 AM ? 10:40- Guest speakers:
Scott TenCate ( WMMBA) welcome, days events, introductions
Ted Vonk ? Commissioner, Kent County
George Meek ? Supervisor, Plainfield Township
Craig Throne ? VP Global Marketing, Merrell
Kevin Allen ? President WMMBA
Mike Guswiler ? Executive Dir. W. Mich. Sports Commission
Rick Plite ? WMMBA Advisor, Merrell Trail designer & coordinator

10:40 AM - Ribbon cutting ceremony and trail opens to users

11:00 ? 2 PM ? Free lunch catered by Yesterdogs
Free beverages provided by Founders
Music by: Mike Cramer
Raffle; (5) $110 & (4) $200 Merrel gift certificates
Merrell Tech T?s,
Entries into 2013 -Yankee Time Trial, Trifecta Tour

**** Bring your Family, Friends, Mountain bike, Lawn chair ****
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 29th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Trail is very dry and dusty, starting to erode again in spots but still rideable for skilled riders.

Also thanks to Merrell, Yesterdog, Founders for all the free stuff out there this morning. Nothing like riding a few hard laps to come back to free food, beer, and prizes. Well worth dealing and watching a bunch of rec riders freak out and fall trying to ride a trail they have no business on. And it isnt even that tough, fun no doubt, but easy. :lol:
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby c0nsumer » September 30th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Finally got to ride the whole thing today, and apparently the day I (unintentionally) chose had Phaser going downward. That was fun. I'm really glad I made the drive.

Trail is getting dusty and some corners blown out, but that seems like the soil in the area coupled with it being new trail. I imagine a winter and spring will do it good and help it settle in.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby G.Cook » October 5th, 2012, 10:30 pm

So it and Luton will be good to go Sat?
G.Cook

Postby yamaha13 » October 6th, 2012, 6:10 pm

I was thinking"Douche" was a better word
yamaha13

Postby balexander87 » October 14th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Hoping to make it up there this coming weekend. Forecast is showing chances of rain all week. Hoping conditions hold up!

Edit: I've been browsing and participating in this forum for about a year now, and was beginning to wonder why a forum like this with such a great user community could possibly need the "foe" functionality. Thanks, G.M.XC-MTNBKR, for clearing that up for me... and thanks to the mods for the foresight to provide this functionality, seriously.

Edit: Now if everyone would just quit quoting him!!
balexander87

Postby mr_opjones » October 22nd, 2012, 1:02 pm

Nice, what's the drop around 5'?
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions