NMMBA: Glacial Hills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: NMMBA: Glacial Hills

Postby WinkyWarrior » April 6th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Looking forward to taking a spin on this very soon! I've recently been "bitten" by the biking bug and I spend many summer weekends on Lake Bellaire. Adding the trail network up in Bellaire will only make the riding all that better!
WinkyWarrior

Postby bergie05 » May 25th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Rode the trail each of the last two days; easily one of the best i have ever ridden, even as new as it is. Section 14 to 11 is as good as it gets.
bergie05

Postby Glacial Hills » June 13th, 2013, 2:02 pm

MLKuhl wrote:Planning to come up & ride here for first time next week. Looks like there are 2 trail heads? Is there parking @ both? Also thought I read you can park @ shorts & ride to trail & where would I start to get most mileage? Any advice appreciated, very excited to ride here, thanks.

Matt

Glen pretty much nailed it. You can ride up from town (Forest Home to Orchard Hill) as there is a trailhead there with a new trail map. Look for a grassy open area on the west side of Orchard Hill that looks like a parking area (as it is our temporary lot and will be gravelled at some point this year) and 50 yards north is the trail entrance. That is the way to get the most mileage right now. I'll be at Glacial on Wednesday and Friday next week - I can meet you if you are around or call me at 231-668-2939 if you need specific directions.

Brad
Glacial Hills

Postby SteveF » June 27th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Nothing steep, tho, Bob. Easier climbs than Arcadia Dunes for sure. (except for the newly cut trail which is loose, soft and slow rolling or at least was when I tried it.) The road to get to it from town is ALL uphill as you guessed, but that makes for an easy ride back the trail riding... 8)
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Re: TOMMBA: Glacial Hills

Postby Nelg » July 23rd, 2013, 8:11 pm

I typically ride out from the Eckhardt road parking lot and take mostly right turns until vandermark. From there we go up Vandermark, catch the road and loop back to Eckhardt. However it's been a couple weeks since I've been there and they are adding lots of trail. Just go explore, the whole thing is a blast!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Re: TOMMBA: Glacial Hills

Postby Mikeyb64 » July 23rd, 2013, 8:23 pm

The sections I like are 29>28>32>17, 14>11 & 15>7. They are all down hill. My favorite is 29>28>32>17. I haven't rode the new trail in the 40's yet (it was too new & sandy on the 1st week of July) but it looks like that will have a nice downhill from 42>45? The trails on the east side of Vandermark are a blast. I thought they rode great in both directions. Think of the trail as a choose your own adventure ride and have fun. I park in the Eckhardt road parking lot and have rode all of the trail but the 40's in both directions.
Mikeyb64

Postby aarontriton » July 25th, 2013, 7:33 pm

So me and my 9 yr old road 12 miles at glacial. including some of the newly built trail. this trail is a blast. I wasnt sure if my grin was gonna be as big,since we were up here 5 wks ago . and i think it was even better. if you haven,t been to glacial. you need to put it at the top of your list!:mrgreen:

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
14 Devinci Carbon Troy
15 Mongoose Vinson fat bike
aarontriton

Postby vette-ss » August 11th, 2013, 6:40 pm

lunge bob sweatpants wrote:First time to Glacial Hills and very glad I made the drive from Gaylord. Some of the flow reminds me a lot of Arcadia Dunes. The newer cut trail is a bit soft but ride-able. There's a ~10in tree down at what I'm pretty sure was marker 41 right before the split, there was a post but no marker.

Rode for two hours and then hit up Short's for some post-ride "snacks".

I hit up Shingle Mill and then made the drive over to Glacial on Saturday, followed by a stop at Shorts. I've been trying a new trail or two each time I head north. Glacial is a treat. I will be back to this one some day.
vette-ss

Postby chrismaltby » August 17th, 2013, 9:10 pm

Gonna have to check this out. I used to hunt this land when I was in high school. Plus, my sister lives about a mile from the Orchard Hills Parking area. Sweet Sweet Sweet.

Chris Maltby
"There are no races. Only lotteries."

-Jacques Anquetil
chrismaltby

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » August 31st, 2013, 3:47 pm

I was surprised how packed the parking lot was today....Lots of riders and hikers out there. Went clockwise this time along the outer perimeter, however, I think I like counter clockwise better.

Enjoyed Short's again.
Last edited by lunge bob sweatpants on September 10th, 2013, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby vette-ss » September 22nd, 2013, 9:17 pm

bgerlach wrote:Steady rain last night but only spotty showers today - trail is fairly dry now. Unless we get heavy rain all should be solid for the weekend.

Thanks! We made it out there on Saturday under a light occasional mist. Ground was solid, just sticky sand here and there. Had a blast out there; wife enjoyed it too. One of my favorite trails in the state. This will be my go-to trail whenever we get up north.
vette-ss

Postby Glacial Hills » October 2nd, 2013, 8:26 pm

Doug,

Appreciate the compliments and input. From my end:

One way traffic - We have had discussions along these lines and you are correct that it would not be popular (nor enforceable). Adding to the mix is that three units of government own sections of trail and we soon will have a trail easement owned by a fourth entity. At this point, the general consensus is that the level of traffic does not yet warrant such a move. Jut so you know, the layout was done with the idea that one way traffic may occur.

Signs - We do not have the resources to update the signs as frequently as we would like. Just changing all the signs at the intersections is a two day task and the same person who does that also does all the trail layout/flagging plus leads all the building crews plus GPSes the trail, removes all fallen trees, creates the maps, etc. The most current trail map has been installed/replaced at all three parking lots several dozen times in the past two months but they disappear rapidly. Each intersection has the sign that covers that area - the older trail has the older signs, etc. The entire almost 30 miles (by the end of fall) will have new signage (and new numbering) by early next spring with each parking area having a kiosk that includes an overall trail map.

Curve warnings - Also under consideration but there is some debate about those as well.

Hope you come back next year!

Brad

dvroberts wrote:I rode Glacial Hills (about 10 miles) on Sunday, September 29, and believe this is the best mountain bike riding I have ever done (in 22 years of riding). What a lovely experience: I don't remember ever having a smile on my face throughout a bike ride! Sheer heaven!

Having said that, and with great admiration for the folks who have created and maintain these wonderful trails, I'd like to offer my suggestions:

Make the trail system one-way. I know this won't be a popular recommendation, but with so many blind curves and so many people riding these trails, it's only a matter of time before two parties going in opposite directions whack into one another around one of the many blind curves and have a nasty roll down a long, steep hill.
    Being a first-time user of the trails, I had printed out 2 completely different maps of the trails before I came, which confused me. At the trailhead, there were posted 2 other versions of the trails, and all 4 versions seemed like they were made of different trail systems. I know you folks are building out the trails, even today, but I even saw different versions of the maps at trail intersections. I pretty much gave up trying to figure out where I was and just rode, and it was bliss. But it really would be helpful to know where you are!
    As you approach a blind curve, it would be helpful if you had a little red flag stuck along the trail before you reach the curve so you'd know to slow down. Even better would be a little 'caution' sign of some kind. I kept thinking as I nearly went flying off the edge into a steep ravine that I wished I'd known it was such a tight turn! I am 57 years old and not a fast rider, so I imagine my younger mountain biking friends who go faster than I might appreciate this as well?

But really, please don't take the above as criticism. I totally am in love with the beautiful setting and the truly wonderful trails. What a treat to ride here! I couldn't believe how I felt like I was going down those lovely swoopy trails far more than I was going up! And the effort required to go up was very reasonable. This place is a mountain bikers' dream!

Doug
Glacial Hills

Postby SteveF » October 3rd, 2013, 6:43 am

Flag corners, really? Head's up riding would be better, especially on a two way trail and would be lots less work for the trail guy(s) and less clutter in the woods as well.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Mikeyb64 » October 3rd, 2013, 6:57 am

Just rode Brown County all weekend with 600+ other people. No issues on two-way bike traffic on trails that make Glacial Hills look like a highway. 8)
Mikeyb64

Postby Mikeyb64 » April 15th, 2014, 2:15 pm

How are the trails looking up there? Do you think Glacial Hills will be rideable by Mud Sweat & Beers?
Mikeyb64

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions