NMMBA: Glacial Hills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: NMMBA: Glacial Hills

Postby Nelg » April 15th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Getting there. Probably be fine by MSB, but I wouldn't plan on anything much sooner.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Glacial Hills » April 22nd, 2014, 7:34 am

About 90% clear (just north facing slopes) this past weekend - I'll give an update after I'm out there Thursday.

mmba6896 wrote:Coming up for Short's 10-year Anniversary this weekend (4/26) - would love to ride Glacial Saturday or Sunday. Have the worms come out in that woods?
Glacial Hills

Postby SteveF » June 25th, 2014, 9:22 am

vette-ss wrote:I can't say this has anything to do with it, but read up a few posts. I've only been there a few times but there were signs/maps at each intersection. The brand new stuff was lacking but there was still tons to ride on the well marked older trail. It sounds like there was some recent vandalism and a lot of these signs were stolen. I'm planning to be up there next week, so I'm hoping memory serves me well if a lot of the signs are in fact missing.

Yeah, I was going to ride up there early last week while I was in the area but the signage theft put me off. I found it hard enough to find my way around when the signs were there a year or so ago! Next time...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » August 26th, 2014, 8:17 am

Rode here yesterday after the rain and had a great time. The trail sucked up every bit of rain, almost no standing water.

I'm amazed over how much new trail has been added since the last time I was here.
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby dcberti » August 29th, 2014, 8:39 am

I'm planning on heading up for a few days next week. Any recommendations for cheapish lodging near the trail? I was thinking of staying at the Bellaire Inn for 85 bucks a night or so. Good choice? It will be just me.
Thanks,
Dave
dcberti

Postby bockrona » August 29th, 2014, 10:02 am

Glacial Hills wrote:Glad you enjoyed it. The trail was designed with most of the elevation change (and best riding) on the outside loop - I just tell people to stay right or left at every intersection depending on their direction of travel. 17-18-7 has become a pretty legendary stretch although most I ride with prefer to climb that side and come down the north 14-13-10.

Thank you for the tip. I basically rode the outside clockwise the first day starting and ending at 39 while adding a couple mini loops, one was to go back over 18>7. Somehow I got a little messed up on the west end with a missed turn or two. Then missed the turn into Shanty Creek. Worst climb of the day was up into the hotel, I was whooped. http://www.strava.com/activities/169579331

The second day was more of a mish mash. Looped 35>36>24>25>26 a couple times, then looped 23>25>24 a few times, then made sure to hit 18>7 twice again. Skipped a couple outside sections across the top and opted for 10>11>12>13>14>15>33>28. Probably was getting late by then and those numbers were really easy to remember in succession. Made sure to save a little bit to get up into Shanty Creek too. http://www.strava.com/activities/169845593

Next time I will try going the other way and get the 14>13>10 you mentioned. Hoping to get back this fall, but only time will tell.
Anderson Park TC

Redline d660
1999 Schwinn Peloton
1980 Schwinn LeTour
1994 Bridgestone MB-4
bockrona

Postby dcberti » September 2nd, 2014, 7:25 pm

I'm up in Bellaire from the Detroit area for a couple of days. If anyone is available for a ride early in the day tomorrow (Wednesday) and wants to show me around Glacial Hills give me a shout. javid.berti@gmail.com

Dave
dcberti

Postby vette-ss » September 3rd, 2014, 8:03 am

My route on my last visit was a bit like Mike's. Although I try to cover as much ground as possible to see some of the inner portions of the trail too. This came right at 15.0 miles on my computer: 1-9-8-11-10-13-14-34-33-28-27-26-35-41-42-43-51-52-54-53-48-47-46-35-39-38-37-24-23-22-21-20-17-18-7-6-2-1. I park at Eckhardt Rd and for the most part work clockwise. From memory, using this direction the really fun and fast downhill sections are on the southern end parts of the loop (24-17 maybe). I've never ridden counterclockwise. If you have a significant other/family that's not up for riding, they can drop you at Eckhardt Rd lot and you can work your way to the lot at marker 40, then take the highway back into town and meet them there. The road is all downhill from that point.

As you can see from all of my turns above, it does seem like it would be confusing. But, the trail is very well marked. Unless vandals come in and mess it all up, I think it would be impossible to get lost if you have any sense of reading a map. It does break up your flow always stopping at the sign posts. On my last ride, I had the same thought as mentioned above for one of my future trips.....just take random turns not paying any attention to where I'm at, then when I'm feeling near done, locate myself on the map and find my way back.
vette-ss

Postby Glacial Hills » September 7th, 2014, 7:56 am

Still cleaning up the massive amount of timber that fell in the storms Thursday night/Friday morning - hope to have just about everything cleared by the end of the day Monday. Until then be vigilant when riding because there are plenty of hazards out there.
Glacial Hills

Postby Glacial Hills » September 27th, 2014, 8:24 am

c0nsumer wrote:Oh, and one chainsaw worthy tree down spitting distance from marker 37. I think it may be between 36 and 37?

Strangely, there were a couple spots where fallen trees had been cleared and it looked like someone dragged brushy debris back across the trail. Not to block it, but just to cause a problem and get in the way. I cleared a few spots of this today.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll alert the our volunteers to watch the brush to see if this is intentional - although some of our volunteers are not bikers and sometimes forget what works for a hiker may not work for a biker.
Glacial Hills

Postby jumbo » November 12th, 2014, 10:47 am

Any word on whether Glacial Hills will be grooming a section of the trail for fat biking this winter? I know Short's had a fund raiser earlier this fall. Was it successful?
2017 Epic
2016 Fat Boy
2014 Stumpjumper
2012 Crux
jumbo

Postby Glacial Hills » December 18th, 2016, 11:47 am

The groomed fat tire bike trails are in prime shape right now. This year (and years going forward) the fat tire entry will be from the Vandermark Road parking lot rather than Eckhardt. Due to forestry work, we are limited to about 4.5 miles of trail this winter but those 4.5 miles have plenty of roll and fun.
Glacial Hills

Postby FatTire » January 5th, 2017, 8:08 pm

How often is the trail getting groomed and what are the current conditions?
FatTire

Postby Glacial Hills » January 5th, 2017, 8:45 pm

FatTire wrote:How often is the trail getting groomed and what are the current conditions?

It is groomed whenever necessary which is daily right now. We have had dry lake effect snow after the thaw - was a little soft this morning but should set up nicely with the cold temperatures. Expecting prime conditions for the weekend.
Glacial Hills

Postby roadtrip » January 5th, 2017, 11:22 pm

thats awsome, what a great trail. thank you!!
roadtrip

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions