Mid-State: Hillsdale College - Hayden Park Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Hillsdale College - Hayden Park Trail

Postby barry1me » September 21st, 2013, 8:26 pm

is this trail kept up by Hillsdale college? I want to check this out in the next few weeks. How many miles is it?
barry1me

Postby jake » September 21st, 2013, 8:54 pm

I believe the full loop measures out around 7 miles. Trail was built and maintained primarily by one person who has since moved from the area. I heard that someone has kept up with trimming the trail.
jake

Postby Chris K » September 28th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Rode two laps there today its in pretty good shape, I moved some small dead fall and limbs. Trail could use some racking to clean up the sticks twigs etc but not bad. Still some over growth in the far north section but manageable. Temporary signs were up for a cross country run and it looks like they used part of the single track which worked great, they trampled all the weeds and grass down. Someone also painted orange arrows in the wide open sections in case you have trouble picking up the trail in the open grassy area. I didn't encounter a single person, bike or running/hiking. Trail is finally getting well established and feels quick, we need MORE TRAFFIC out there.

It was referenced in a earlier post but this is 100% private land owned by the college so no hunting is permitted (good place to ride once the bullets fly). At a two different areas you will go past houses, one clearly abandoned just north of Mauck Rd, that is owned by the college and the other one you feel like you are going through their back yard. As I understand it that is also owned by the college and used for student housing.
Chris K

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions