Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby bhollen666 » October 5th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Finished the weed whacking and raking and now the entire central loop is opened, mostly thanks to tacmed. I also raked some of the wooded sections which are in pretty good shape for the fall riding season. I repositioned some logs to close off the eastern loop until (if?) it can be cleaned up. The central loop grass is now open to ride, but it would be better if we can get the trail mowed also. Again thanks to help from tacmed the trail is open again and free from thorn bushes to rip at your flesh or cool-weather gear. Enjoy the ride as the leaves begin to change. :twisted:
bhollen666

Postby tacmed1 » October 6th, 2008, 7:09 am

Thanks for the help cleaning up the trail!! Sorry it's taking a while to get it finished, I don't have much free time with my work schedule. I'm also working on getting a set of ramps for my trailer so I can take a riding mower out there some time. Barring any unforseen issues the entire trail should be done and ridable by this weekend.
Vince W
tacmed1

Postby bhollen666 » October 12th, 2008, 6:40 pm

With a little work this week the eastern loop is now mowed and trimmed and rideable. Thanks go to Norm, Reinhold and tacmed for the most of the work I just followed up and weed whacked, prunded the face slappers, and put up some new signs. Now the trail is completely open and ready for riders. Perfect timing because the maples and oaks are coming into nice colors and the sumac is a deep, bright red. Thanks for all the help opening the field sections up. :twisted:
bhollen666

Postby tacmed1 » October 15th, 2008, 10:30 am

Did anyone by chance check the portion of the central loop where you re-enter the trail from the grass 2 track road? (near the red barn). I was working the trail in that direction over the weekend before my blade broke and never made it there. Thats the only section I haven't been able to get to since I was shreded about a month ago.
Vince W
tacmed1

Postby santosdo » October 16th, 2008, 7:19 pm

I rode the whole thing twice today, my first trip out - overall in excellent condition, whole thing is trimmed nicely and very rideable. Look for the little white arrows to guide you along, very helpful, didn't get off track at all. This trail is within a short ride of my house so I'll definitely be back.
santosdo

Postby grnd93 » October 16th, 2008, 8:47 pm

SWEET!
grnd93

Postby bhollen666 » October 19th, 2008, 5:52 pm

All wooded sections raked, groomed, and in some cases reframed and looking good. Got some help today to move the big blowdown in the last wooded section, making it now safer to come rippin down the hill faster. Hiked through the field sections and they are holding up well too. :twisted:
bhollen666

Hewens Question

Postby missionchips » October 20th, 2008, 7:32 pm

I have rode Hewens Creek twice in the past two days and I must say that the trail is easily in the best shape ever. Thanks a ton to those doing the work on it.

Question: I definitely don't want to offend those who have taken the time to make and maintain this trail, but why not make more of it through the wooded areas? They seem to be less maintence and ride smoother. The last 1.5 miles is just pure fun through the wooded areas along the lake and through the new loop that ends at the parking lot.

Thanks again for your work, and I would like to help in the future. This trail has so much potential.
missionchips

Postby tacmed1 » October 25th, 2008, 12:26 pm

I rode the trail yesterday in the rain. Does anyone know whats going on with all the clearing that they're doing next to the lake? I heard a rumor that a new trail is being made at Rolling Hills Park and that the intention is to connect the new trail at Rolling Hills to the trail at Hewens Creek. Does anyone know anything about this? Vince
Vince W
tacmed1

Postby bhollen666 » October 26th, 2008, 9:16 am

I think that the clearing that they are doing near the lake has something to do with the draining of the dam from the pond to the Hewens Drain downstream. I wonder if they had had some problems with the roots interfering with the drain in some way. I believe it was recommended to the (Ypsi) township to take out some of the growth along the drains, and that's what you see below the dam and now on the eastern edge of the pond. To a fly fisherman who love to catch blue gills on that edge in the spring the reduced growth is welcome; I can back cast now to try and latch on to some more 'gills and some of those larger bass in the pond. :twisted:
bhollen666

Hewen's Creek Developments

Postby hotspurr » October 26th, 2008, 2:03 pm

In reference to some recent comments, you may be interested in the following information: 1) The vegetation clearing along the dam is being done as part of maintenance for the dam. Tree roots undermine the integrity of earthen dams. 2) Future trails at the part will include more tree-covered areas, but in the central and eastern parts of the park we have used most of the areas that remain dry most of the time. With the exception of the spruce plantation by the gate (where we plan a trail), most of the other treed areas are lowland forest and very wet in the winter, spring and early summer. 3) extensive new trails are planned for the western part of the park and we hope to begin working on them this winter and next spring. Before we can start, however, we need to resolve how to get over a wet area near the northen fenceline. 4) A new trail (including techincal park) has been designed for nearby Rolling Hills Park and construction may begin as soon as this fall. And, 5) the County is looking at ways we can link the two parks.
If you would like to help with any of these efforts, contact the MMBA and mention Hewen's Creek or Rolling Hills and we will put you on the volunteer list.

Cheers, Norm Roller (734) 426-5737
hotspurr

Postby ADDam » October 30th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Adam G
ADDam

Postby bhollen666 » November 2nd, 2008, 8:17 pm

Hi ADDam,

There are currently plans to add trails to the right of the entrance, which have already been discussed with the township, including putting a bridge over the Hewens Creek drain in that spruce farm. When we begin to work on this section we'll make sure to post a notice on this trail site to try to get everybody out to help.

Also there are plans in the works to add additional wooded sections in the extreme northwest section of the park, which also would use the area to the west of the pond. Work on this stretch may begin soon, at which time we'll be sure to post the request for help.

The MMBA has been sure to work together with the township to explain to them how we plan for and implement new trail. The township has been especially pleased that we mark a section and then observe it over the seasons to make sure that we pick a trail path that won't cause damage to the park and stay viable throughout the year. It takes longer to add new sections of trail to the park this way, but in the end, the township and MMBA are more satisfied with the quality and sustainability of the trail that we construct in the park.

We are glad that you are eager to help with adding trail to the park and look forward to meeting you on our next trail day. Thanks for riding and caring for our trails there. :twisted:
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » November 9th, 2008, 8:00 pm

All of the new signs have been ripped out and thrown someplace, sorry. I was able to find one of the signs on the trail about 30 feet from the place I put it. I'll have to make some more. For the most part keep going right. The only place this rule doesn't work is on the eastern loop where it comes out at the extreme north end. In this case, go left until you see the turn back into the trail heading south. :twisted:
bhollen666

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby bhollen666 » March 15th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Hung a couple of signs today, asking the riders to not ride trails during this thawing time. Most of the wooded sections are pretty soft and muddy with lots of boot and dog prints from walkers along the trail. It would be best to not ride the trails at this time, but maybe stay to the mowed walking sections until some of the sections dry out.
bhollen666

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions