Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby bodomaniac » March 31st, 2009, 12:45 pm

Rode Hewen's last Friday, 3/27 and have the following to report. First, 95% of the trail is rideable. There are a couple of boggy sections, but you can either pedal your way through them (which I don't recommend) or walk around it. Second, there is a HUGE tree that fell across the trail in the second or third wooded section (a little past half-way in the loop) that will require someone with a big chain saw to remove it. Third, the big rectangular terracotta pipe that was being used for a creek crossing in the second to last wooded section is busted making the creek barely crossable by foot. A small bridge should replace if it at all possible, which will likely be a good spring project.

Other than that the trail was in fairly good shape, though there are few places where weed thickets lay partially in the trail instead of to the side that will either need to be pushed back or chopped down completely. If there's ever a trail that should be ridden during the thaw this is it, as it still isn't broken in completely after almost 4 years of use and is way too lumpy in spots. If there are those of you anxious to get out on your bike and get some early singletrack riding in until places like Poto, Brighton and Island lake have completely thawed, please, please, PLEASE plan a trip out to Hewen's and ride as the trail needs the use.
bodomaniac

Postby bhollen666 » April 4th, 2009, 1:39 pm

Walked through the whole trail today except for the northern stretch of field from the eastern loop intersection to the first wooded area with the widowmaker, and bodomaniac is right -- the trail is is pretty decent shape except for the usual stretches in the new wooded sections. I'm going to recommend opening it up again with the following suggestions:

- avoid the muddy areas where we have tried to close them with crossed deadfall. These are still really muddy and will be a mess if ridden through
- the cool bridge that James made for us in the long wooded section has broken and needs to be walked across, take care of that spot
- in the northern wooded section there is a really big tree that bodo' pointed out as soon as you make the right to enter the wooded area where there was a new log pile last year, we're gonna have to walk the bikes over that one until it can be cut out.

Alright let's get out there and ride it, especially that eastern loop which is really opened right now and we can build up some speed on it. Do your best to get through the boggy, muddy, swampy sections and enjoy the ride.
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » April 5th, 2009, 7:13 pm

Finished the central loop today by going through the northern open field stretch of the central loop, pulling weeds and cutting some tree branches that were growing into the trail. The northern section right after the mounds at the extreme north are really "soupy" but I think passable. Of course all of that could change overnight if the snow comes and gives us a few inches of new moisture.
bhollen666

Postby bill_m » April 20th, 2009, 9:23 pm

There will be a workday at Hewens Creek Park on Saturday 4/25.

Start time is 1PM with a rain day on Sunday at the same time. Meet at the Bemis Road gate and then go work on the new western loop trail.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby cbur1650 » April 23rd, 2009, 10:01 am

I would like to help out on saturday. I won't be able to be there until 2:00-2:30. What can I bring? or where should I focus my efforts if I don't find anyone?
cbur1650

Postby bill_m » April 23rd, 2009, 10:44 am

Show up whenever you can. Just follow the main trail along the lake and we will be to the northwest of the lake. With no leaves it should be pretty easy to find the crew.

Bring loppers, gloves and eye protection if you have them. We should have some extra tools as well. Notice we don't need bug spray yet :D

bill_m

Postby BikerRisa » April 23rd, 2009, 1:22 pm

I tried to ride this trail 2 years ago and it was so bumpy I had to quit. is it still like that now or is it more rideable?
BikerRisa

Postby bodomaniac » April 24th, 2009, 12:06 pm

It's still bumpy in sections, which is why it needs to be ridden a LOT when the conditions are soft.
bodomaniac

Postby bill_m » April 24th, 2009, 12:50 pm

The oldest sections in the farm fields were the worst. They have gotten better as people are riding them. We also roto-tilled them about a year ago. The sections in the woods are much better. When the park first opened I was straight up and said full suspension bikes only. Now the trail is pretty good and getting better all the time!
bill_m

Postby ADDam » April 25th, 2009, 2:53 pm

Hey Bill, is there a plan on establishing trails in the SE Corner of the park? I know there's drainage issues, but lots of little bridges would be cool!
ADDam

Postby bill_m » April 25th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Yes, absolutely. The implementation of the trail is happening in phases. Norm and Bob will have to confirm this, but I believe all of the parts have been approved including the DEQ permit for the bridge over the creek in the pines. Now it is simply a function of how many people can build trail how fast! And we should know relatively soon if the connector trail is possible over to rolling hills. Once HC is complete it should be ~12-15 miles and then when you add Rolling Hills it could be a total distance of 30+ miles! And we may get a skills/stunt area in Rolling Hills too.

Contact Bob (The TC) at bhollen666 at att dot net if you want to get involved.
bill_m

Postby ADDam » April 26th, 2009, 12:01 am

Excellent! I live about 1 minute from the park. I would LOVE to see something happen in the pines, and a skills area would be awesome! Is there any decent trails in Rolling Hills currently?
ADDam

Postby bill_m » April 26th, 2009, 7:37 am

No trails yet. But they are flagged and waiting to be cut. Make sure you are on the Poto Chapter e-mail list and you'll get the updates when we are ready to start.
bill_m

Postby bill_m » April 26th, 2009, 8:29 pm

Bob sent a report from Saturday's workday.

You can see it here.

Thanks to the crew!
bill_m

Postby ADDam » April 26th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Were gonna need a bigger parking lot. I think that would bring MANY more people to the park.
ADDam

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions