Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Trail Condition

Postby bhollen666 » April 11th, 2006, 6:23 am

I rode through it last night and found that most of it is rideable and ready to go. There are two sections, both near the junction with the east loop, that are soft mud, but they are passable and don't last long.
bhollen666

Postby gregoryjwier » April 12th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Has this trail changed much since around August of last year. Has anything new been made, or are any plans to make new things out there being made. Would anymore mind if I put in a few obstactles to make the trail a little more technical?
-Gregory-
gregoryjwier

Postby dtfd30 » April 12th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Some obstacles out there would be great. If it's alright to do that, PM and let me know when. I'd be more than happy to help.
dtfd30

Postby bill_m » May 30th, 2006, 12:22 pm

This just in from Norm Roller (I was off lolligagging at Boyne on Saturday):

"Thanks to all the 14 volunteers who showed up for the workday at Hewen's Creek last Saturday. Due to your efforts we completed the new section of trail along the northeast side of the pond and got the entire eastern field clipped. Way to go! The new section of trail will be opened as soon as we put in a culvert over the ditch. We'll have some pictures of the workday at the Chapter meeting Wednesday night."

Report from Bob is that the HCP trail now needs mowing badly. I can report that the section of the Poto south from the shortcut at Hi-land Lake for about a half-mile is very brushy. Otherwise the Poto seems in pretty good shape.

What a great turnout for a workday!!! Looks like it is time for the Poto Chapter Mower to start the '06 season!
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

tall grass

Postby Elno Lewis » June 21st, 2006, 11:05 am

Rode Hewens Creek last night. Very tall weeds--scratched the heck out of my arms and legs. Tons of very hungry mosquitos. Flat. Muddy parking lot--if you can call it that. While riding through the hedgerows is ....well, is something that can casualty to your steed very quickly. Contrary to the description, I rode my hardtail without a problem, until the derailler hanger broke (probably a result of my Poto ride last Saturday). Humping my bike out through those mosquitos was tuff. Kudos to the people promoting that trail, but it has a long way to go. I guess I can't wait to see those trees grow.
Palmdale! Come back to me!
I need you and I love you!
Elno Lewis

Postby Elno Lewis » June 21st, 2006, 11:16 am

shucks
Palmdale! Come back to me!
I need you and I love you!
Elno Lewis

Postby J.knight » July 5th, 2006, 10:00 am

HC is mowed and ready to ride. Plus an additional mile or so of singletrack has replaced old two track.
J.knight

Condition as of 23 July

Postby bhollen666 » July 24th, 2006, 7:17 am

Walked through the top half of the east loop last night, trying to cut a passable route through the really tall weeds. I worked through half of the central loop where my DEET wore off, so I rode the rest of the way out. Unfortunately on the new section there are three or four big trees down from the last wind storm which completely block the new trail, making it even tough to walk the bike through them. All of the downed trees are within the last 100 feet or so of the new section, so at least they should be easy to get to if someone has a chainsaw. :twisted:
bhollen666

Postby SteveMTB » July 25th, 2006, 7:59 am

First time there. Decent trail. Nice prairie trail with some woods. Flat as expected. I've got a hardtail and it was fine, not sure how smooth people are expecting.

Bugs didn't bother me at all with repellent on, didn't even notice them.

There are several places in the prairie trail where the grass is hanging over the trail so much I had to get off and search for the trail, then carry the bike over them. In the bramble I also scratched up my arm pretty bad because of thorny bushes overhanging the trail. I got on one trail that seemed to dead end.

Could use some maintenance trimming. Otherwise, nice ride.
SteveMTB

Freshly Mowed

Postby bhollen666 » August 21st, 2006, 11:07 am

All but the eastern loop is freshly mowed and cleaned up. Trail condition seems to be in good shape but could use some additional riding. If you haven't ridden it in awhile you should take another look at the new wooded section at the end of the trail.
bhollen666

Eastern Loop Mowed

Postby bhollen666 » September 2nd, 2006, 8:46 pm

Mowed the eastern loop today. This section of the trail's in good shape and ready for riding.
bhollen666

Postby jnwbiker » October 9th, 2006, 6:36 am

Any update on conditions? I'm thinking about checking it out for the first time today.

jw
jnwbiker

Postby Chase » October 15th, 2006, 5:01 pm

I haven't been there in a few weeks, but last time I was there it wasn't too bad. I live pretty close-by but always get nervous riding by myself where there aren't a lot of other bikers. Seems the trail just needs a lot of traffic on it.
Chase

Postby Chase » October 18th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Rode the Eastern Loop today...wasn't too bad. There were some puddles in spots from all of yesterday's rain and a fair amount of overhang in certain areas. Looks like someones dog has been using the trail as well! :lol:
Chase

Postby caniseeyourid » October 29th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Me and my buddy would like to add an "advanced" portion to the left, where the temporary trail ends, and the permanent trail ends, we would like to include several bridges for over the streams (if there not to wide) and maybe a teeter totter (like hickory glen), but of course with a path going around each obsticle. What would we have to do, to get this plan going and who do we need to see to get it approved?
caniseeyourid

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions