Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby bhollen666 » June 6th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Walked through today and put some yellow signs (1, 2) up at the key turning points. I hope that they help the newer riders understand the right path around the trail. Even though these signs were in I still saw one rider without a helmet going the wrong way. Please be on the lookout when riding, especially in the last section heading to the parking area. Even though there's a "No Entrance" sign at the beginning some riders are going right past it, so they could be coming at you in that section.

I hope the signs help and that they last for awhile and don't get ripped out again.

bhollen666 ( 8^D)>----
Email: BikeHewensCreek@gmail.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/BikeHewensCreek
bhollen666

Postby bleve » June 14th, 2009, 8:46 am

I was down this way yesterday and stopped by to check out the trail for the first time. I definately want to thank you for adding the arrows and add that you may want to add a couple more. There were a couple spots where the trail intersected another two track or footpath and I could pretty much tell which way to go due to the flow but I would second guess it for a couple hundred feet. As for the condtion I thought it was pretty good, the only place with standing water / mud was about a 100' section (various spots, not the whole distance) as you re-enter the woods after an unmowed re-route.

I did two laps and found I liked the trail much better the second time around. It's kinda surprising how you're able to accelerate and handle the bike better with just a small understanding of the trail. The first time I was creeping through areas not sure how sharp the next turn was going to be but on the second run I was able to relax and just ride. I was probably also concerned about running into someone head on as I read the post about people riding backwards but I knew there were no cars in the parking lot on the second run.

As a bonus this is a great "nature" trail as I saw the deer I was expecting, tons of different kinds of birds including a pheasant and plenty of ground hugging mammals. I also noticed the meadows had a great flower enhanced aroma. I really enjoyed the short sections through the trees as well.
bleve

Current State of Hewens Creek

Postby missionchips » June 29th, 2009, 7:12 am

Hey all...

Rode Hewens this morning and it was a total mess. FYI.

Because of this, I got to thinking...
What is the current state of this trail? I hear there is a new mountain biking trail going into Rolling Hills. Are efforts going to focus on that now?

Hewens is very difficult to keep up during the summer months due to the majority of the trail going through fields. Obviously, when the trail remains in a wooded area, the trail tends to maintain itself most of the time.

Dare I say shut Hewens down, cut the losses during the summer months, and focus on the new one at Rolling Hills? I've lived in the area for a few years now, and each summer, around this time, Hewens becomes unrideable. I always give it a go and it becomes frustrating. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not out there volunteering my time to fix the trail, just to be honest and open, but I think keeping it up is beyond anyone's means.

Thanks.
missionchips

Postby bhollen666 » June 29th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Mowed all of the field sections of the trail today. I found that the eastern loop had a bunch of face slappers and thorns growing onto the trail, and most of the central loop was starting to overgrow with those tall strong weeds we get at this time of year. However with the riding mower I was able to go through all the field sections and get a decent mowing done.

The face slappers still need attention if someone has some time to volunteer and ride through with a set of pruners.

I didn't get a chance to see the wooded sections of the trail today, hopefully they are clear and passable. I passed one rider on the trail, Blake, who was also happy that the "jungle" of the eastern loop was being mowed.

bhollen666 ( 8^D)>----
bhollen666

Re: Current State of Hewens Creek

Postby michael48197 » June 30th, 2009, 8:00 am

If one doesn't participate in trail activities, one doesn't have much equity to complain about trail conditions. 'Missionchips' should come out and make HCP a better place instead of moaning about it's condition. Others, notably 'bhollen666', are out there every week at Trail Work Tuesdays at Rolling Hills building new trail and still find additional time to maintain HCP and other trails. I, for one, am grateful for all the work that's been done to keep HCP rideable this year. As the trail ages, it will get easier and easier to maintain. HCP could certainly be improved, but without more bodies to help such as frequent users like 'missionchips', HCP will be in stasis.

To 'bhollen666', thanks and keep up the good work at HCP.
michael48197

Postby missionchips » July 1st, 2009, 2:08 pm

To set the record straight, I do appreciate all of the work that has gone into HCP. In fact, I've even mentioned that on this board several times.

I was merely stating that it's tough to keep up. Is that a lie?

I was also asking about Rolling Hills Park and what is the status of HCP once it opens. Fair question?

Thanks to all, I sincerely mean no harm and I've never tried to slam anyone for their hard work.
missionchips

Postby bill_m » July 1st, 2009, 5:34 pm

The end goal is to have HCP and RHP connected by a trail. Washtenaw County Parks and Yspi Township are actively working on making this a reality. Alone, each trail is good. Linked together, they make for a really nice destination trail.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby bhollen666 » July 9th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Rode through today and the mowing is really helping to keep most of the tall, stiff weeds off the path. However the eastern loop and the wooded sections could use some grooming. I at least got all of the sections "open" so that they can be ridden, but there are still lots of HCP thorns to rip my arms and legs today. Plus I picked up a bee in my shorts that stung the crap out of me on the back of my thigh.

Maybe we can hold a single TrailDayTuesday here this week to help clean up these trouble areas?

bhollen666 ( 8^D)>----
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » July 15th, 2009, 11:00 am

We held a Trail Work Tuesday last night at HCP and did some work on the portion of the trail that runs beside the pond and the eastern loop. Most of the trail along the pond has been opened up and needs only raking now. The eastern loop was lopped and pruned to remove as many thorns as possible and opened up from some of the taller, stiffer weeds.

Thanks go out to everyone who attended.

Please note that the township is working on the parking area of the trail along Bemis Road, so you might have to park along the road.

bhollen666 ( 8^D)>----
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » July 18th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Michael finished off the rest of the trimming in the trail following the pond. I mowed the field sections again and did more pruning and lopping. Hopefully it rides well now.

bhollen666 ( 8^D)>----
bhollen666

Postby theboton » July 18th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Hey everyone.

I just heard about this trail and its really close to where I work. Is it suitable for a newer mountain bike rider? I have been doing mostly Cooked Lake and Murray Trails.

Thanks
theboton

Postby bhollen666 » July 19th, 2009, 7:49 pm

@theboton: Absolutely, this is a trail suitable for a newer mountain bike rider. Most of it is flat and winding through fields, in and out of some wooded sections. I have taken neighbors with 10-year-old kids on this trail and they love it and have no problems with it. Give it a try.

Trail Update: I headed back there today to rake through all of the stuff that we did from the Trail Work Tuesday, including all of the sections along the pond and the first and last wooded sections. I also did a little pruning in the field sections between all of the wooded sections, plus took a little time to pick some ripe black cap berries. I rode most of it today and found that it was much faster with all the recent grooming. Give it a try.

The new parking area is great. When I rode out today there were three cars in the lot with room for at least two or three more! Thanks go to the township for that awesome work! Let's hope that it holds up through the seasons.

bhollen666 ( 8^D)>----
bhollen666

Postby ADDam » July 22nd, 2009, 6:42 pm

Hey Bob, did you get those tires mounted up?
ADDam

Postby bhollen666 » July 26th, 2009, 3:24 pm

Flagged a lower branch today, which could be a future widowmaker. http://twitpic.com/bql1g When I was leaving I noticed that the new parking lot was full. http://twitpic.com/bql2t

bhollen666 ( 8^D)>----
bhollen666

Postby kcnado » July 31st, 2009, 11:55 am

Was just poking around the park names I was unfamiliar with, and this one stood out!

Can anyone compare this trail to another so I could get an idea of what it rides like? Trails I know well are mostly in Oakland County - Bald Mtn, Holdridge, Milford, Commerce, Pontiac, addison, maybury, stony, highland, etc.

Thinking about making the drive south to give it a shot!
kcnado

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions