Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby bhollen666 » March 28th, 2010, 6:25 pm

The wooded section between marker C and D is almost a complete loss at the moment. I would avoid this completely. At marker C simply head around this wooded section up and right to marker D for connecting to the eastern loop. Big downed tree on the pond loop to the east of the pond which will have to be "portaged."

Email: BikeHewensCreek@gmail.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/BikeHewensCreek
Trail Map: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iW ... directlink
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » April 4th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Rode through all of it today and the surface is really not too bad. Other than the usual wooded section (C to D) there is a little softness in the south central loop and some decent muddy ruts along the extreme north end of the trail. Riding through these would actually be a good idea since that section was really hard and bumpy anyway.
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » April 16th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Planning the first trail day at Hewens Creek on Saturday May 1. We'll meet at the trail head parking area around 08:30 where we'll break into groups to head north into the park and work on the new trail to the north west of the pond. The usual tools will be useful: pruners, loppers, garden/leaf rakes. If we're also lucky we'll get a group of local Boy Scouts that can help to groom and rake the trail back into spring shape. We all hope to see you there.
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » April 16th, 2010, 6:57 pm

We have been thinking about changing the direction of the trail. Have you thought about it, and if so, what would you think?

@Chris: We don't know how to get in touch with you, but we'd like to see you there during our trail day. Drop me an email if you read this forum.
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » April 26th, 2010, 9:14 pm

A change of plans for the work day on Saturday 01-May: we'll meet and start at 0930, an hour later than previously reported here. Planned work area is the wet and muddy area in the second wooded section between marker C and D, where we'll try to reuse some of the dead fall to make the really muddy areas passable. Boots or shoes that can get muddy are a good idea. Hope to see you there.
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » May 1st, 2010, 7:10 am

The work day scheduled for today has been rained out. Instead of rescheduling we'll just start this Monday 03-May on our Trail Work Monday, starting at 6:00 PM in the Hewens Creek parking lot. Hope to see you there.
bhollen666

Postby onlycrimson » May 3rd, 2010, 1:06 am

Anybody know the conditions out here recently? My buddy just got an apartment not far away and I was thinking of riding it when I go to visit.
onlycrimson

Postby bhollen666 » May 3rd, 2010, 9:33 pm

onlycrimson wrote:Anybody know the conditions out here recently? My buddy just got an apartment not far away and I was thinking of riding it when I go to visit.

I was just out there tonight and all the rain has made the second wooded section a total mess. The field loops didn't seem too bad, but they are going to need mowing soon. I'd ride it.
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » May 16th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Trail completely mowed this weekend. I double-wide cut most all of it, to see if it helps to keep the weeds under better control. The second wooded section is still a total loss with mud, plus the ride around that I mowed today is also a rutted, muddy nightmare. Let's hope it dries out soon. The eastern loop is becoming awesome as time goes on, with the trees growing. There's only a few stretches of the eastern loop now that's not under trees. The banked turn at the far eastern end is a puddle of mud currently, so I mowed more to the center as a way around it.

Another trail day tomorrow (weather permitting) where we'll be working on adding trail to the upper north end. We'll meet in the parking lot at 6 PM. Hope to see you there.

Email: BikeHewensCreek@gmail.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/BikeHewensCreek
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » May 17th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Trail working Monday for tonight is canceled on account of the rain. Hope to see you next week.
bhollen666

Postby john_galt » May 27th, 2010, 9:51 am

Just wondering what are the future plans for this trail? Also, is there a "shortcut" to Rolling Hills from here? Thanks
john_galt

Postby hotspurr » May 27th, 2010, 8:27 pm

Hi John,

Future plans for this trail include extending it to the western part of the property and a adding a small section of trail in the old spruce plantation to the right of the parking lot on Bemis. At some point we hope that a right of way will be secured between the western boundary of Hewen's Creek park and Rolling Hills park (1/4 mile), linking the trails in the two parks. We also plan to boardwalk some perenially wet areas and maybe add some technical features in the gravel mounds located in the northern part of the central field. A new map showing a more accurate representation of the trail will be available shortly. We're GPSing it tomorrow morning. If yoiu have time, come on out and join us on Trail Work Mondays. We meet every Monday at 6 PM at one of the Poto Chapter trails. Lately we've been concentrating on opening up the western extension of the Hewen's Creek trail.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby bhollen666 » May 29th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Entire trail mowed again this weekend, as we are right in the middle of the heavy growing season. All of the wooded sections were also groomed to open them up also. I expect that the Trail Work Monday planned for this week will be canceled on account of the Memorial Day holiday. Happy Memorial Day everyone.
bhollen666

Postby kcnado » June 2nd, 2010, 12:21 pm

How are these trails?
Will be in AA for training all next week & trying to see where to MTB.
-----
"If I can't win, I will make the fellow ahead of me break the record!"
kcnado

Postby stunya » June 4th, 2010, 8:04 pm

rode a few legs of this trail today. It was pretty well mowed and stuff was drying up. If anyone finds a cateye 8 wireless unit...id love to pay you to ship it back to me. No idea where i lost it, but definitely along the main trails somewhere.
stunya

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions