Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby jeepskate » January 9th, 2012, 2:15 pm

if there is interest in a metal box, im sure I can figure something out.

Took the dogs out there the other day, liking the improvements. Great job to all.
There's a difference between "American made", and "American made by skilled craftsmen".

"I almost sold my single speed once....."
jeepskate

Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby BikeHewensCreek » January 9th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Thanks jeepskate, but let's first see if parttime's box will stand the abuse. =^]
BikeHewensCreek

Postby lovesierra » January 10th, 2012, 1:43 pm

I'm sure Hewens is a sludge-pit at this point. No ride for me for awhile. It really chaps my butt to hear about the vandalizing though. Like, I see a bunch of drunk 17-year-olds high-fiving each other on the defeat of the Big Bad Mapbox. Seriously, kids...get a life.
My husband and I (and our two-year-old!) love Hewens...it's a fantastic laid-back ride for those days there isn't time for RH, and only an eight minute ride from our house! We really do appreciate everyone's hard work. If there's ever a weekend trail work day, we'll try our best to make it.
---
...lovesierra...

"Things ain't so bad, 'cuz I got the Galaxie 500..."

"Outstanding."
lovesierra

Postby parttime » January 15th, 2012, 11:57 am

Trail is in good shape for the most part, but is still wet in the usual places: after Y3 in the woods, at mounds in the central loop, and near the rocks in the western loop. I was surprised that it was not frozen at each place, and attempted to fix any ruts I created. As stated previously, there is also a huge tree down at Y3, and a large chainsaw is definitely needed. Anyone reading this have access to a good saw? I'm willing to help, but don't have a decent saw, or the chops to take down these trees myself. A reroute may be possible, but these trees are long, and one more trunk goes the opposite direction, block that possible path.

BikeHewensCreek wrote:The trunks are really big, maybe 18+ inches. I'm thinking they are chain-saw only candidates!

Holy crap, these are big!

This tree is about 24" in diameter and is hanging over the trail. My 19" 29er is directly underneath this trunk for size comparison.

There are three trunks in this bunch, the largest about 18" diameter.

jeepskate wrote:if there is interest in a metal box, im sure I can figure something out.

Took the dogs out there the other day, liking the improvements. Great job to all.

It may actually come to this... we'll let you know. :wink:
parttime

Postby hotspurr » January 16th, 2012, 10:29 am

Hi All,

I have a saw that can do the job. Tell me: Are the trees on the ground or suspended over the trail, or both? If suspended, I'd rather wait until the snow melts and good footing is available. In the meanwhile it would be useful to clear away the tangled vines and branches to improve access. Maybe even provide a path under the what looks like a suspended tree? I'll sharpen the chain on the saw to get ready.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby parttime » January 16th, 2012, 3:49 pm

hotspurr wrote:Hi All,

I have a saw that can do the job. Tell me: Are the trees on the ground or suspended over the trail, or both? If suspended, I'd rather wait until the snow melts and good footing is available. In the meanwhile it would be useful to clear away the tangled vines and branches to improve access. Maybe even provide a path under the what looks like a suspended tree? I'll sharpen the chain on the saw to get ready.

Cheers, Norm

The largest tree is suspended, and one can get underneath it. I don't think it's going anywhere, and can probably be left alone 'til spring. The other trunks (3 of them) I believe are all touching the ground at both ends, but suspended slightly above the trail. These are really tough to get over, and I didn't see an obvious path for a potential temporary reroute, but it might be wise to bring macleod and pulaski. I can bring rakes, loppers, small hand saws.

Let me know when you want to head out there, I'm willing to help/spot/labor, whatever is needed. PM me if you need my number.

Patrick
parttime

Postby BikeHewensCreek » January 16th, 2012, 8:11 pm

I can help but unfortunately only on the weekends. If that is the plan let me know and I'll be there too.
BikeHewensCreek

Postby parttime » January 16th, 2012, 10:55 pm

^^^^ Same here, as I have the boys during the day, and I don't think this is an after work project..... although I could be wrong! If this weekend, Saturday would be best for me. I'll be at the 'Worst day of the year' ride on Sunday.

Map box in progress. I'll paint it now that the weather is warmer. Also need to pick up a hinge and lag bolts, and fashion a lid. Simple, sturdy, cheap! And should look good, when done anyway.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt31 ... G_3713.jpg
parttime

Postby BikeHewensCreek » January 17th, 2012, 7:07 am

Looks nice parttime. Saturdays good for me too. Lemme know.
BikeHewensCreek

Postby hotspurr » January 17th, 2012, 8:39 am

Hi Guys,

I'd like to get the trees on the ground removed but I'm already committed for Saturday. Sunday afternoon is a possibility, however, depending on the weather.

The new mapbox looks great.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby hotspurr » January 19th, 2012, 9:27 am

Hi All,

Offending trees have been removed and the trail is open again. Special thanks to Greg Cook for his efforts and support.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby jeepskate » January 19th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Rode today for the first time in a long time, really like the back expansion. First time riding on snow (and ice) definitely made for a slow moving affair. From the cut in on hitchingham till the exit by the pond is great. The beginning till the hitchingham cut through is fairly cut up from mud riding. In between the typical flood spots are pure ice, watch yourself in these areas.

I'm right across the street from this place in Greene farms if anybody ever wans to ride. Same goes for rolling hills.
There's a difference between "American made", and "American made by skilled craftsmen".

"I almost sold my single speed once....."
jeepskate

Postby dnale » January 21st, 2012, 3:12 pm

I was thinking of hitting it tomorrow maybe. Are you recommending studded tires?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
dnale

Postby rgardn20 » January 22nd, 2012, 11:55 am

Just road Hewens. Lots of dog walking and some snow shoe prints that made it hard to ride. Getting to the edge made it easier but not much room. I ride a 29er with studded ice spiker schwables but I dont know that they were needed, A large clrearing knob tire would be fine as there was not much ice.
Yes that is a Harley-Davidson, all 50cc's.
rgardn20

Postby dnale » January 22nd, 2012, 4:45 pm

I just rode. Took the short loops since this was the first I've been out in 2012. No studs just the stock maxxis. After two spills in the first 3/4s of a mile I decided to air down. I wouldn't have believed how it was easier to ride in fresh snow unless I tried it. On the little loop back to the lot watch for the couple of spots where the boards used to be. They are still there just tough to see and it's really tough to turn the front when your wheel is on the ground right next to it. Was nice to be out. Saw a few other bike tracks in places and none in others.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
dnale

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions