MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby RideCannondale » March 26th, 2007, 8:44 am

So whats up with this trail? I just bought a house in the area and would like to check this place out sometime as I have never ridden there. Is there a trailhead?
Make me a bicycle... Clown...
RideCannondale

Postby WICCMB » March 26th, 2007, 9:57 pm

RideCannondale wrote:So whats up with this trail? I just bought a house in the area and would like to check this place out sometime as I have never ridden there. Is there a trailhead?

You'll probably need a tour - there is some serious trail in there, but it's difficult to follow if you don't know the way. By the way, the trail was still pretty soggy on Sunday - probably would be best to let it dry out some more. There is a trailhead on Garden Rd east of Burns Rd, at the very end. Garden Rd does NOT go all the way through to Wixom Rd - there is only a foot/horse bridge over Norton Creek. You'll want to be on the west side of the creek, coming from the Burns Rd side. The trailhead is at the end, very close to the little bridge.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Diesel » March 26th, 2007, 10:21 pm

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:
RideCannondale wrote:So whats up with this trail? I just bought a house in the area and would like to check this place out sometime as I have never ridden there. Is there a trailhead?

You'll probably need a tour - there is some serious trail in there, but it's difficult to follow if you don't know the way. By the way, the trail was still pretty soggy on Sunday - probably would be best to let it dry out some more. There is a trailhead on Garden Rd east of Burns Rd, at the very end. Garden Rd does NOT go all the way through to Wixom Rd - there is only a foot/horse bridge over Norton Creek. You'll want to be on the west side of the creek, coming from the Burns Rd side. The trailhead is at the end, very close to the little bridge.

Serious as in "lots of it" or serious as in difficult, or both??? I've got an appointment at my accountant's office very near there on Thursday. I might check it out. If it's still wet I'll try Highland, that always seems to be ready early.

Funny, each of the last two years after my tax appointment I've gone cross country skiing there...gotta love the early MTB season this year!!! BTW-these don't happen to be the same trails, do they???
W.W.M.D.D.
What would Matt Damon do???

www.teamsandbag.com
Diesel

Postby soccerjett » March 26th, 2007, 10:29 pm

I don't know about Proud Lake, but now I'm intrigued.

However, I do know about Hickory Glen, which I think is a lot of fun, and just down the road apparently. You really should check out Hickory Glen if you're in the area, I rode it Sunday and it was in really great shape. Basically no mud at all. It's about 6 miles, not hard to ride, but tight and technical. Good times.
soccerjett

Postby WICCMB » March 26th, 2007, 10:41 pm

Diesel wrote:Serious as in "lots of it" or serious as in difficult, or both??? I've got an appointment at my accountant's office very near there on Thursday. I might check it out. If it's still wet I'll try Highland, that always seems to be ready early.

Serious as in kinda like the first couple of miles of Torn Shirt at Brighton. Think steep climbs and descents (at least a few), old school fall-line construction, washed out ravines, etc. There are plenty of climbs in there, much more than you would think by driving down Wixom Rd, or even sitting at the trailhead. There is also some typical singletrack as well as double track. Many areas have horse *beep* as they're open to horses. The problem is, the trail system is not well marked, and it would be very easy to take an off-shoot into someone's back yard, or end up taking the linear trail all the way over to Kensington...... A good portion of the trail is across Childs Lake Rd.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Diesel » March 26th, 2007, 10:45 pm

I see from looking at mapquest that the XC ski trails are on the other side of Wixom Rd from the trailhead that Wish describes.

Is there any parking area nearby???
W.W.M.D.D.
What would Matt Damon do???

www.teamsandbag.com
Diesel

Postby WICCMB » March 26th, 2007, 10:50 pm

The "riding" trails are all west of Wixom Rd. I'm not 100% sure, but I think east of Wixom is mostly "closed" to bikes. There is the parking lot that I mentioned on Garden Rd, or there is the Huron River "canoe" parking lot on Wixom Rd just north of Garden Rd - then you could ride down Garden Rd, and over the foot/horse bridge to the main lot that I mentioned.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby soccerjett » March 26th, 2007, 10:50 pm

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:Serious as in kinda like the first couple of miles of Torn Shirt at Brighton. Think steep climbs and descents (at least a few), old school fall-line construction, washed out ravines, etc. There are plenty of climbs in there, much more than you would think by driving down Wixom Rd, or even sitting at the trailhead. There is also some typical singletrack as well as double track. Many areas have horse *beep* as they're open to horses. The problem is, the trail system is not well marked, and it would be very easy to take an off-shoot into someone's back yard, or end up taking the linear trail all the way over to Kensington...... A good portion of the trail is across Childs Lake Rd.

Sounds like a good time, and considering the fact that it's only a couple miles farther from me than Hickory Glen, I'm interested in getting a tour sometime. Post up here when you guys are heading out there!
soccerjett

Postby Spinwheel » April 15th, 2007, 10:28 pm

I rode some of this trail today on my cyclo-cross bike and met up with Trail builder Bill while I was out there... he was building of course! Its amazing how much better the ride was than in years past, complete with new signage, the trail was in very decent shape, and it seems Bill's horse pooper scooper is working well too :wink: GOOD WORK BILL :!: WELL DONE :!:
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby Sherpaboy » April 23rd, 2007, 3:18 pm

Rode and GPS'd some of the trails include what several of us have been calling "Divorce Ride" twice.

Checked out loop #2 and the trails on the East side of the river, but West of Wixom.

Lots of interesting terrain. If you look at the graph of speed versus elevation it is while to see how your speed is up and down so much in such a short distance.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2541650#

cleaned up version
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby Ecruz » April 24th, 2007, 7:23 am

Is any of the trail directional or is it marked in any way? I live very close to there and would love to ride over and get a tour sometime.
Ecruz

Postby Apps » April 24th, 2007, 2:29 pm

I've never seen any directional arrows out there. It is multi-use so keep an eye out for other users......
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby genrlz » April 26th, 2007, 9:52 am

Thanks for the map. I liked this trail, but I could see getting REALLY lost out there, without any directional markings, and all the crossing over the trails do.

I'd be more than willing to assist with some signage, or directional markings.
genrlz

Postby Builder-Bill » April 26th, 2007, 10:36 am

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 14:52 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genrtz
Thanks for the map. I liked this trail, but I could see getting REALLY lost out there, without any directional markings, and all the crossing over the trails do.

I'd be more than willing to assist with some signage, or directional markings

I installed 6 signs the DNR gave us about 2 weeks a go. All have been removed by someone. I don't know who... :roll: :roll: would do that..
You need a tour, The map doesn't show the stuff on the west side of Childs Lake Rd All of it is sweet.... Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby Apps » April 26th, 2007, 12:52 pm

I've ridden the Divorce Ridge Loop (Counterclockwise is the way to go) but haven't made it over to the stuff on the west side of Childs Lake yet....I hope to get out there REAL soon though and see what's up with some of that fun stuff....and then add the Kensington Connector in as well....
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions