MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Builder-Bill » April 26th, 2007, 1:44 pm

I've ridden the Divorce Ridge Loop (Counterclockwise is the way to go) but haven't made it over to the stuff on the west side of Childs Lake yet....I hope to get out there REAL soon though and see what's up with some of that fun stuff....and then add the Kensington Connector in as well....
That's the way to ride it.... We call it the loop of pain..... I like to watch peoples eyes when they think the first big hill is done. And then it goes strait up....... :twisted: How do you like the last of the three moguls? :wink: Its great Iceman training
Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Builder-Bill

Postby Apps » April 26th, 2007, 1:55 pm

My wife and I rode it this past weekend and she kept saying "this isn't bad....Boyne's still harder"...until we hit that last turn and climb.....then her opinion changed a bit :) It's definitely challenging out there...I hear it drains well too....is that true? Think it would be rideable Sunday PM?
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby Builder-Bill » April 26th, 2007, 2:08 pm

It will be find. K2 was talking about riding it on sat. Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby genrlz » April 26th, 2007, 2:56 pm

deleted
Last edited by genrlz on April 26th, 2007, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
genrlz

Postby hopsbag » April 29th, 2007, 8:37 pm

Builder-Bill wrote:
I've ridden the Divorce Ridge Loop (Counterclockwise is the way to go) but haven't made it over to the stuff on the west side of Childs Lake yet....I hope to get out there REAL soon though and see what's up with some of that fun stuff....and then add the Kensington Connector in as well....
That's the way to ride it.... We call it the loop of pain..... I like to watch peoples eyes when they think the first big hill is done. And then it goes strait up....... :twisted: How do you like the last of the three moguls? :wink: Its great Iceman training
Bill and Sam the Trail Dog

Moguls eh? You mean the one where my legs finally gave out and I had to walk up? If I ever do meet any horse riders out here, I'm gonna ask 'em to tow me up. :wink: I did some solo exploring here by myself yesterday. Re-rode the "loop of pain" from last Saturday, with fresher legs this time. What a ride! After the first leg burning climb of Divorce Ridge (would love to hear the story of that name), hang on for a quick downhill with a surprise drop-off halfway down. Then, in quick succession, there are the three "moguls" - loose and gravelly climbs with little time between for your legs to recover. If you make it, you'll be rewarded, as the trail soon dumps out onto an old park access road. Nice, flat, and perfect to catch your breath before another loop. I also explored probably about half of what's west of Childs Lake Rd. Not so much drama here, a decent flow and pretty Oakland county upland woods scenery. I did find one section of trail to avoid, though. Starting on the east side of Childs Lake Rd., right by the southern boundary of the park, is a part of the trail that eventually comes out at the railroad, by the old asphalt crossing. It is passing through lower ground here and there were at least three unridable quagmires I had to walk around, one of them actually a small swamp. There were also two trees downed across the trail. I guess that's why there were no other knobby tracks on this trail. :? Still lot's more to explore here. My thanks to you Bill, for your efforts and perseverance.
hopsbag

Postby K2Beast » April 29th, 2007, 9:07 pm

hopsbag wrote:... Nice, flat, and perfect to catch your breath before another loop. I also explored probably about half of what's west of Childs Lake Rd. Not so much drama here, a decent flow and pretty Oakland county upland woods scenery.

yes... nice and flat like everyone says. :P
hopsbag wrote:... I did find one section of trail to avoid, though. Starting on the east side of Childs Lake Rd., right by the southern boundary of the park, is a part of the trail that eventually comes out at the railroad, by the old asphalt crossing. It is passing through lower ground here and there were at least three unridable quagmires I had to walk around, one of them actually a small swamp. There were also two trees downed across the trail. I guess that's why there were no other knobby tracks on this trail. :? Still lot's more to explore here. My thanks to you Bill, for your efforts and perseverance.

:) Bill showed me the way around that marsh on Saturday. There is a way around to the north.
:) Great trail and a great ride :!: Thanks Bill :!: :)
Adam aka K2Beast (FR/DH/XC) .__ :twisted:
GT Zaskar (rigid) - - - - - - - - - \ <
Azonic DS1 (SS/rigid) - - - - (( )) (( ))
Yeti AS-X (DH/Freeride) -------------
Surly 1x1 (SS/rigid)
Diamondback Drifter
K2Beast

Postby Apps » April 30th, 2007, 7:40 am

hopsbag wrote: ...After the first leg burning climb of Divorce Ridge (would love to hear the story of that name)...

It's not that dramatic. In the early spring/late winter Myself, Sherpaboy and Walleyed hiked these trails with Bill and Sam (can't forget Sam) in the snow. We walked the West side of Childs lake first and then the east side over to the railroad tracks and then up through the old trailhead area by the outhouse. As we were walking the "loop of pain" and headed up the climb for Divorce Ridge, Walleyed and I looked at each other said that if we ever brought our wives out there it would mean a divorce! From there it took off....So far we've had our wives out there once and we're both still married so maybe we need a name change :lol:

Justin
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby Spinwheel » May 19th, 2007, 11:05 pm

I've picked up quite a few thorns on this trail in the last month - anyone else? Which section are they in? Not sure...
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby Sherpaboy » May 20th, 2007, 8:56 am

once and we're both still married

But it was close...I don't think the ladies liked that climb too much :wink:
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby ihateplaindave » May 21st, 2007, 9:26 am

I've ridden Proud Lake twice. First time alone and got a flat. Second time, w/five others. Two of us got flats, one during the ride, mine went flat later that night. Prolly all thorn related. Riders beware!
ihateplaindave

Postby WICCMB » May 21st, 2007, 12:07 pm

ihateplaindave wrote:I've ridden Proud Lake twice. First time alone and got a flat. Second time, w/five others. Two of us got flats, one during the ride, mine went flat later that night. Prolly all thorn related. Riders beware!

Strange....I've ridden there numerous times now and have never had any issues. 8)
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby K2Beast » May 21st, 2007, 12:32 pm

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:
ihateplaindave wrote:I've ridden Proud Lake twice. First time alone and got a flat. Second time, w/five others. Two of us got flats, one during the ride, mine went flat later that night. Prolly all thorn related. Riders beware!

Strange....I've ridden there numerous times now and have never had any issues. 8)

:? maybe you did a better job of staying on the trail tread :P
Adam aka K2Beast (FR/DH/XC) .__ :twisted:
GT Zaskar (rigid) - - - - - - - - - \ <
Azonic DS1 (SS/rigid) - - - - (( )) (( ))
Yeti AS-X (DH/Freeride) -------------
Surly 1x1 (SS/rigid)
Diamondback Drifter
K2Beast

Postby WICCMB » May 21st, 2007, 9:31 pm

:idea: :lol:
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Spinwheel » May 21st, 2007, 9:59 pm

Maybe I need a front end alignment so I don't cross the yellow line next ride eh :?: I just had a new headset put on, appearantly that wasn't enough :!: :wink:
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby Builder-Bill » May 22nd, 2007, 12:01 pm

I mowed back some of the thorny areas of the trail a few weeks ago. So try to stay on the main trail at some of the wide parts that where mowed. This is where you are picking them up at. :wink:
Bill and Sam The Trail Dog.
Builder-Bill

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions