MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby J/C » July 31st, 2011, 12:48 am

I tried to tackle some the trimming on Saturday. I'm borrowing the chapter's Power Scythe (weedwacker with a hedge trimmer head). I trimmed about half of loop 1 before running out of gas (started at Garden Rd and went backwards {CCW}). About half of what I trimmed needs to be raked; I raked some later during the day. The tree over the trail has been cut (by equestrians?) I plan to keep chipping away at all the loops this week.
Agree that the trail could use a trail day. I will talk with Bill and see what he thinks. But I'm busy every Saturday in August until the 27th...
J/C

Postby specialized rider » August 6th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Can anyone tell me where the best place to park and get on the trail. Also how to follow the numbered signs (or letters) I forget. I have never rode here before. I have found both the Garden road parking and the main office parking by the hiking trls. I just wondering witch is the better for following the loops.
I want my Big Wheel back.
specialized rider

Postby WICCMB » August 7th, 2011, 12:04 am

specialized rider wrote:Can anyone tell me where the best place to park and get on the trail. Also how to follow the numbered signs (or letters) I forget. I have never rode here before. I have found both the Garden road parking and the main office parking by the hiking trls. I just wondering witch is the better for following the loops.

The official trail head is on Garden Rd, however the best parking really depends on where you are driving in from. Honestly it doesn't matter where you park. You *could* park at Trails Edge Milford, and just ride on over! 8)
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Hermannator » August 8th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Big vine on a broken branch blocked the singletrack connector from the park to the paved trail (between the campground and Glengary Rd.). Couldn't break it off, but I was able to pull it back behind another tree, but it has some spring to it. It is safe for now, but if it rains it might slide back out on to the trail. Did not have a saw or clippers.
Hermannator

Postby specialized rider » August 11th, 2011, 8:26 am

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:
specialized rider wrote:Can anyone tell me where the best place to park and get on the trail. Also how to follow the numbered signs (or letters) I forget. I have never rode here before. I have found both the Garden road parking and the main office parking by the hiking trls. I just wondering witch is the better for following the loops.

The official trail head is on Garden Rd, however the best parking really depends on where you are driving in from. Honestly it doesn't matter where you park. You *could* park at Trails Edge Milford, and just ride on over! 8)

Thnx I will try the Garden rd Parking first. :D
specialized rider

Postby J/C » August 11th, 2011, 12:04 pm

You can park on either end of Garden Rd. - off of Wixom Rd or in the Horse Staging if you come from Milford.

Loop 1 has a tree across it, it's on the section paralleling Garden Rd. a little to the east of the gas line clearing. It's the top of a live cherry, could be cleared with a hand saw. Loop 2 has a couple trees across it as well.
J/C

Postby J/C » August 13th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Loops 1, 2, and 3 are now cleared of fallen trees and are rideable without dismounting. I was able to cut everything with a hand saw. If you stop, watch out, the mosquitoes are fierce!

John, Asst. Trail Coordinator
J/C

Postby Spinwheel » August 19th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Spent some time trimming the thorns back on the powerline section of loop 1.
Rode L1, 4 and K connector - trails in good shape, thanks for the great maintenance this summer!
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby specialized rider » August 21st, 2011, 1:16 am

I plan on going out to Proud Lake this morning around 10:30am if anyone is going to be out there to guide me around that would be great.:)
specialized rider

Postby specialized rider » August 21st, 2011, 12:58 pm

Ok went out and got lost, just kept following horse trail till I decided to quit. Definitely need a guided tour.
specialized rider

Postby Spinwheel » August 25th, 2011, 10:43 pm

specialized rider wrote:Ok went out and got lost, just kept following horse trail till I decided to quit. Definitely need a guided tour.

I sent you a PM..
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby Hermannator » August 26th, 2011, 9:46 am

Posting on behalf of my son: The Kensington Connector has no separate trail page.

To all mountain bikers I will be installing some board walks on the Kensington connector trail for my Eagle Scout project. The board walks have already been built. But they will need to be moved from South Hill road west to where they need to be installed. We will be adding more boards to them when they are installed. Because of very little parking on South Hill Road mountain bikers who want to help could park at Bakers off Milford road and ride the trail east to the spot where I?m working. The trail starts at the corner of East Huron River Pkwy and South Milford road. I will be working on Labor Day (the 5th) at 9:30 and finishing by noon.
Hermannator

Postby Gfish29 » September 1st, 2011, 11:51 pm

I'm not sure if the section East of Childs Lake Rd / South of the railroad crossing is part of the bike trail but there are many trees across. Plan on going both over and under fallen logs. It is very overgrown and feels like it may also be the most likely place to stumble upon a vampire den.
Gfish29

Postby WICCMB » September 2nd, 2011, 8:21 pm

Gfish29 wrote:I'm not sure if the section East of Childs Lake Rd / South of the railroad crossing is part of the bike trail but there are many trees across. Plan on going both over and under fallen logs. It is very overgrown and feels like it may also be the most likely place to stumble upon a vampire den.

It is indeed part of the trail, and you are correct it is a mess right now. When it's clear, it's actually great fun to ride.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby davedejonge » September 7th, 2011, 9:49 pm

I've done that short section with my son on a tag along bike... the section of long grass right before the tracks is like riding with your eyes closed. Trail, what trail. Its a pity that childs lake rd interupts what is probably the best downhill run in the whole PL trail system. I've bombed across without looking for cars, once! but, that was the one and only time I saw a car on the road. Won't do that again.
davedejonge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions