MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby Builder-Bill » December 19th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Just finished riding Proud Lake Loop 2 and part of Loop 4. The trail is in great shape and a lot of fun with 2 inches of fresh snow.

See Ya Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Builder-Bill

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 17th, 2010, 6:49 pm

After Highland I went here, very mixed conditions. The ride out past the tracks is packed down pretty well, the snow is rather frozen but not slick. I think it was loop 4 I rode, somewhat similar to Highland, mostly hiker and ski traffic, the bumpy frozen snow makes hill climbing tough. Some of the downhills I found sections that were untouched, making for a slow motion descent. Overall conditions are not very bike friendly.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Bruck » March 28th, 2010, 2:10 pm

Did the Commerce to Milford ride yesterday.
Rode first half of loop 1, all of loop 2 and the first half of loop 4 up to the Kennsington connector.
No issues with loop 1 except for leaf covered trail.
No issues with loop 2 except for leaf covered trail.
Beginning of loop 4 had a couple trees down right at the beginning.
Kennsington connector had some LARGE trees down. Will need a chain-saw, reroute, or BIG log pile ride there.
Hoof tracks were minimal.
Great views with the leafs gone.
The nice new signs / maps look good except for were the hunters took target practice.
Bruck

Postby Builder-Bill » April 1st, 2010, 10:40 pm

Proud lake is in good shape .. I walk most of it yesterday, cut out all the Down trees on loop 3
and a few on Loop 4..
I ran out of day light , so Let me know if anything else needs attention.

Milford Trail Challenge June 5th
milfordchallenge.com
Builder-Bill

Postby Builder-Bill » April 14th, 2010, 9:04 am

The trail is in great shape...
Someone has been removing some of the directional signs. ..
The good thing about biker's is that we can read maps.... LOL. :D

Milford Trail Challange June 5th
Builder-Bill

Postby froggyrider » April 14th, 2010, 9:43 am

We'll be riding there tomorrow after work as a matter of fact!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby mtbr.czar » April 14th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Rode the connector from loop 4 starting at Old Plank to Milford Road then back again through loop 4 to Childs Lake. The connector is in great shape except one 20 foot section between Old Plank and Hill that is quite muddy and is holding water do to four wheeler damage. This is a great trail if you are riding in Kensington or the Mildford trail and want to hit the rustic trails of Proud Lake.
mtbr.czar

Postby WICCMB » April 14th, 2010, 11:04 pm

I rode loops 1, 3 and 4 this evening - trail is definitely in great shape, although still very leafy. This trail needs riders!
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby froggyrider » April 15th, 2010, 10:39 pm

we tried- my Knee is not quite ready for the Loop of Pain, but our trek from Commerce/Hickory Glen parking lot to Proud Lake and some tooling around there was FUN! It was bumpy and a bit sandy on the two track leading out, so I was happy to have my 29r. It glided over the sand. I can't wait to go back!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby froggyrider » April 22nd, 2010, 8:30 pm

Loop of Pain is in fine shape- leafy which camouflages the HILLS! Hahaha, I made it up one in four. Frank did 2 on his SS and Dave T. did 3 (or 4, even!).

I had my first encounter with some horse riders (we were not on the same trail as they were, actually- we were passing by on the campground road while they were exiting a loop onto the campground road. They yelled at us and hurt my feelings. Oh, well, I rode it off! :P

I am so slow and feeble, but I love how Proud Lake kicks my sorry butt. I'll be back for more to try 4 of 4!!!
froggyrider

Postby Spinwheel » April 28th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Rode loop 3 and its good, hills, leaves and all (including the butt kicking :D )
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby froggyrider » May 7th, 2010, 6:23 am

Rode out to the Loop of Pain last night (this time I made it up two of those killer hills). A few face slappers here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. We'll be able to trim those on the Trail Day Saturday, May 15th.
froggyrider

Postby daffunda » May 7th, 2010, 6:38 am

For some reason, all equestrians around 40-60ish I have encountered at Proud Lake are unfriendly. Probably because they think that proud lake is a horse-only trail, when it is really not.

I think young people on horses are usually nice, the old gramps/granny type riding the horses without a helmet is the grumpy type you have to watch out for.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby ibisman » May 7th, 2010, 9:40 am

I carry a little air cannister powered horn for those grumpy 'ol men. Got into some at Highland once and they said " we did'nt know this was a mountain bike trail", and I said "maybe the fact your big ass horses won't fit between the trees would be a clue" and so they took a dump and tried to run us over so I hit the air horn and they vacated the area. :roll:
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby froggyrider » May 7th, 2010, 10:57 am

Ibisman,

I am so happy that you are such an ambassador of good will. You really represent Mountain Bikers in a positive light. Keep up the good fight; if we had more folks like you behaving in the same way, we'd be able to make some real headway as far as cooperation with the equestrian groups!

Actually, I doubt you really said what you did, but I am sure you remember it that way, so at least the spirit was there.
froggyrider

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions