MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby daffunda » May 7th, 2010, 11:52 am

Some arguments:

I am in control of my bike. It is a mechanical device that is NOT LIVING and that DOES NOT have its own will. Are you in control of your horse, which is LIVING, and has its own will? :roll:

In regards to tearing up the trail, equestrians claim that MTBkers tear up the trail. How can a horse, which weighs 2000lbs, tear up a trail LESS than a mountain biker who weighs 200 lbs? :roll: last time I checked, I don't take dumps on the trail every 500 ft either.

"Horses are skittish creatures, and they think you're a monster if you don't dismount your bike!!!"

True, just to be respectful, MTBkers should stop, dismount, and walk past them, and ANNOUNCE that you are human, because they will think you're a monster.

But...

1. If your horse is that skittish, don't ride it.
2. If you really want to ride it, go to a equestrian dedicated trail.
3. Wear a helmet, and not some wannabe cowboy hat. (Young people I've seen wear a helmet when riding horses....)

If you don't want to do any of this, then LEARN TO GET ALONG!!!!

As much as I hate to post this, I almost want to say, just abandon Proud Lake, and let the equestrians take over it. Let them maintain their own trail, since none of them appreciate the mountain bikers on Proud Lake apparently. Bunch of MMBA volunteers maintain it, equestrians ruin it. Not only do they ruin it, they cuss at mountain bikers and yell at them for being on the trail.... Yeah... talk about getting along.

Let them have their own trail day, which they will never have. Let the trail turn to crap with all the dimples and erosion from 2000lb animal walking on it.

And this is my own opinion, not the opinion of MMBA.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby ibisman » May 7th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Nope, I said what I said.It happened like I said. nothing like coming around a couner and your front tire sliding out in a big pile of horse *beep*.If you ever rode on a horse trail and got caught by a horsey rider what would they say to you? "Please mister mountain biker dont ride on our trail"? I'm not an ambassador, and I dont put up with idiots.you talk nice to them if you want. Don't put me in your group. I don't represent anyone. I ride 4 days a week all year, any weather. You can sit around and hold hands and sing camp songs with the spoiled horsey people. *beep*
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby froggyrider » May 7th, 2010, 5:54 pm

You don't need to be part of any group, Ibisman, to contribute in a positive, constructive way. I am sure the equestrians wouldn't be able to distinguish one mountain biker from another, hornery or complacent. However, just an FYI, non members and members alike are welcome at the upcoming Trail Day at Proud Lake: Saturday, 5/15. There will be plenty of opportunities to cut back face slappers in the summer as well.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 8th, 2010, 9:02 am

daffunda wrote:Some arguments: .................

As much as I hate to post this, I almost want to say, just abandon Proud Lake, and let the equestrians take over it. Let them maintain their own trail, since none of them appreciate the mountain bikers on Proud Lake apparently. Bunch of MMBA volunteers maintain it, equestrians ruin it. Not only do they ruin it, they cuss at mountain bikers and yell at them for being on the trail.... Yeah... talk about getting along.

Let them have their own trail day, which they will never have. Let the trail turn to crap with all the dimples and erosion from 2000lb animal walking on it.

And this is my own opinion, not the opinion of MMBA.

Builder Bill can probably answer this better than me, but those trails were not open to MTBing until a few years ago. They were not getting that much use. Since Bill's opening day ride, every time I've ridden this trail, I barely see a soul out there. I see the hoof prints, but never an equestrian. Once and a while I see a MTBr (if I'm not mistaken, you were the guy I talked to a couple years ago coming the other way on a poorly marked section) and a few hikers. I mostly see locals walking their dogs. I typically just ride my fatbike out there as there are a lot of open deep sandy areas. Those tires handle horse *beep* pretty well, but I'm good about keeping out of that. I'm thinking in hot summer horse damage will not matter much in those deep sand sections. Bottom line, if there are not enough users to warrant keeping the trail open, what will become of it? Possible if we don't ride it, and the DNR has to make cuts, this trail might be a target.

Personally, I think the lack of use results from people unable to find their way around. The few people I've actually spoken with were lost. Not the easiest trail system to navigate. I know the trail is a pot of gold for local riders, they know their way around pretty well.

Should I ever be challanged by some other user for my right to ride on any trail approved for MTB use, I'm not going to argue, just demand they go down to the park office with me to debate their case to a park officer. I almost did that at Maybury one winter, but fortunately the XC skier who tried getting self-righteous with me did so on the opposite side of the sign saying the trail was approved for winter MTB riding. All I needed to do was point and say "read this" :mrgreen:
Steve_Balogh

Postby froggyrider » May 8th, 2010, 4:41 pm

Signage has been an issue; MTB signs have been torn down several times after they are posted...
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Builder-Bill » May 8th, 2010, 6:52 pm

Hey everyone,

That area of Proud Lake has always been a multi-use trail system. It's open to hunters, snowmobilers, hikers, bikers and equestrians, etc. As TC. I have worked with and become good friends with many of the equestrians. Both groups play a role in maintaing the trail system. Most equestrians and mountain bikers have no problem sharing the trails. There are always a few exceptions on both sides of course. :roll:

It really comes down to sharing your toys and playing well with others. If you can't be respectful, civil and deal with each other's sport on the rare occasions that you cross paths, then don't ride the trails. :!:
Of course you would then be missing out on some sweet old school trails.

I worked on a trail seperation plan with the local Proud Lake equestrian group last year. Unfortunately, the powers that be within the DNR didn't agree with the plan and nixed it. So until or if that ever changes, we share and enjoy the trails.

The only exception is the Kensington to Proud Lake connector, which is on Metro Park land, west of Old Plank Road to Milford Road (which is a great connector by the way). The Metro-Park has seperated Mt. Bike/Hike and Equestrian trails.

See Ya Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Proud Lake and Milford TC.
Builder-Bill

Postby daffunda » May 9th, 2010, 7:56 am

froggyrider wrote:Signage has been an issue; MTB signs have been torn down several times after they are posted...

I noticed that too. Signs don't come down by themselves. I think the equestrians who do that don't really become friends with anyone who mountain bikes. Of course, there are a-holes on every community.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby froggyrider » May 9th, 2010, 10:44 am

The multi use trail has trail days by many user groups, equestrians and mountain bikers alike. If you are interested in helping at the upcoming trail day to get the trail ready for the Milford Challenge, see this link:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=97308
froggyrider

Postby WICCMB » May 9th, 2010, 11:32 pm

I rode out at Proud Lake Sunday evening - loops 1/2/4. Overall, the trails are in great shape....a few face slappers, and a couple of small trees down from the recent wind. All in all, it was a great ride. I was surprised to find that the trails were mainly dry, just a couple of damp spots remained.

Anyone that is afraid to ride Proud Lake because they think it's torn up, or they think they'll have an altercation with an equestrian, is really missing the boat. The trails are fun to ride, period. 9 out of 10 rides out there you probably won't see a soul, except wildlife. If you want a personal tour of the trails, I would be happy to oblige - send me a PM. However, the DNR signed the trails last year, and with maps at every intersection. If you cannot find your way around the trail now, you may want to consider sticking to the sidewalk. :P
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby ColorVoyeur » May 11th, 2010, 9:22 am

Awesome ride yesterday with my freeride bike. We sessioned a lot of the downhill, and found some really nice fast sections.

One tree down on loop4, about 1 mile into the loop. Big mass of tree, definite walk around.
ColorVoyeur

Postby Builder-Bill » May 11th, 2010, 7:33 pm

ColorVoyeur wrote:Awesome ride yesterday with my freeride bike. We sessioned a lot of the downhill, and found some really nice fast sections.

One tree down on loop4, about 1 mile into the loop. Big mass of tree, definite walk around.

That's one of the projects for Saturday..
See Ya Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Builder-Bill

Postby froggyrider » May 16th, 2010, 9:27 pm

WOOT- what a great trail day yesterday. Go ride the loops and get ready for the Milford Challenge on Saturday, June 5th!
froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » May 20th, 2010, 7:33 pm

froggyrider

Postby froggyrider » May 27th, 2010, 8:25 pm

The loop of pain was nicely trimmed from the trail day! Watch out for the froggies who are out to catch flies, though... :cry:

The trail will be great for the Miolford Challenge!
froggyrider

Postby ibisman » May 28th, 2010, 6:10 am

i took my friend out there yesterday from Hickory Glen to Milford but on the way back I could not the connector to proud lake. Can you tell me where to find it? The one off kensington? Thanks.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions