MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby macbean » May 29th, 2010, 10:40 am

ibisman wrote:i took my friend out there yesterday from Hickory Glen to Milford but on the way back I could not the connector to proud lake. Can you tell me where to find it? The one off kensington? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, the western end of the connector at the corner of Milford Rd and E Huron River Parkway. Its just a little north of the Dairy Queen.

unfortunately, i don't know that I can explain where the eastern end is.
macbean

Postby Builder-Bill » May 29th, 2010, 4:26 pm

macbean wrote:
ibisman wrote:i took my friend out there yesterday from Hickory Glen to Milford but on the way back I could not the connector to proud lake. Can you tell me where to find it? The one off kensington? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, the western end of the connector at the corner of Milford Rd and E Huron River Parkway. Its just a little north of the Dairy Queen.

unfortunately, i don't know that I can explain where the eastern end is.

Look for the sign that says Bike/hike. North /East side.
Builder-Bill

Postby Builder-Bill » May 29th, 2010, 4:33 pm

Proud Lake is in great shape hard packed.. We just finished mowing Loop 1 and 4 today.

Milford Trail Challenge Saturday, June 5th. 2010
milfordchallenge.com

See Ya Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby billips1002 » June 16th, 2010, 10:23 am

How are trail conditions?

Myself and several others are planning to ride Proud Lake for the first time Thursday evening.

Thanks!
billips1002

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 16th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Proud lake in my experience dries out a lot like Hickory Glen... quickly.
I have not been to Proud Lake in two weeks, but it's been in great condition all season leading into my break.
Just not sure of trees, but have not noticed near as many downers this year as last.
ColorVoyeur

Postby billips1002 » June 17th, 2010, 10:42 am

I'm bringing a beginner along and I've never ridden Proud Lake. Is this trail easy as the MMBA description suggests?

I heard other reports that it's a killer, worse than Pontiac Lake...

Thanks!
billips1002

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 17th, 2010, 11:06 am

Well, I wouldn't call a lot of it technical, but there are some awesome fast sections that can be a little hairy in loop 3 and loop 4. Also some amazing climbs...
Not sure what worse than Pontiac Lake means because I don't really ride there, but Proud Lake is an awesome way to spend a day.
ColorVoyeur

Postby ihateplaindave » June 17th, 2010, 11:19 am

We rode it Wed night before the big rainfall. Loop 3 was already very muddy. I think it could be a real mess in spots. Island Lake or Milford Trail would be better choices, especially with a beginner.
ihateplaindave

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 17th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Hickory Glen is close to the area as well and great in wet conditions.
ColorVoyeur

Postby billips1002 » June 18th, 2010, 7:53 am

We rode loops 1 & 2 yesterday.

Loop one was kind of unremarkable.There are some hills, the trail is cut pretty wide but the single track itself is a little narrow and deep between the grasses.

Loop 2 is more or less an overgrown horse trail with some sizeable hills, both up and down. The section of loop 2 after you get to the railroad tracks and turn back toward the trailhead near *beep* Russel bridge is an absolute quagmire of deep mud and weeds up to the waist.

The mosquitos throughout the area are terrible. If you have to stop you are going to get swarmed.

Next time I'll check out loops 3 & 4 to see if there are any hidden gems I'm missing but I don't think any of my crew is going to be convinced to return to this trail system. Are we missing something?
billips1002

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 18th, 2010, 10:00 am

Yep, 1&2 are the boring parts.
You missed literally all the good stuff.
ColorVoyeur

Postby hopsbag » June 18th, 2010, 10:40 am

[quote="billips1002"] The section of loop 2 after you get to the railroad tracks and turn back toward the trailhead near *beep* Russel bridge is an absolute quagmire of deep mud and weeds up to the waist.
quote]

If you were at Russel bridge then you wern't on the bike/horse trail. That section that goes through the marsh to the bridge is part of the Chief Pontiac hiking trail used by the Boy Scouts.
hopsbag

Postby amadkins » June 18th, 2010, 11:27 am

billips1002 wrote:Next time I'll check out loops 3 & 4 to see if there are any hidden gems I'm missing but I don't think any of my crew is going to be convinced to return to this trail system. Are we missing something?

Yes. Loop 1 is to be avoided, and Loop 2 is only a means to get to 3 and 4. All the good parts are on 3 and 4.
amadkins

Postby ihateplaindave » June 18th, 2010, 12:45 pm

I only use Loop 1 to get from Commerce (Hickory Glen) to Milford or ILRA and back, but I enjoy riding it. But I kinda like Proud Lake which puts me in a decided minority among the people I ride with.
ihateplaindave

Postby Bruck » June 18th, 2010, 2:28 pm

ihateplaindave wrote:I only use Loop 1 to get from Commerce (Hickory Glen) to Milford or ILRA and back, but I enjoy riding it. But I kinda like Proud Lake which puts me in a decided minority among the people I ride with.

I agree. I love PL.

Hickory Glen with a ride to PL loop 1 and back is one of my fav week night rides.... just me though.
Bruck

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions