MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Spinwheel » May 24th, 2007, 8:36 pm

Thanks for cleaning up out there Bill!
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby hopsbag » May 30th, 2007, 6:21 am

Lush growth along the trails has reduced sight lines in some places. I would caution all to watch carefully for riders approaching from the opposite direction. My last two times out here I have had to quickly pull aside three times to avoid oncoming cyclists.
hopsbag

Postby Builder-Bill » May 30th, 2007, 5:21 pm

I just mowed back Loop 1, and Loop 3 (The loop of Pain) today. I rode loop 4 yesterday its in good shape, just needs trimming in a few spots. Hope to finish it off in the next few days. :D

Milford Trail Challenge is coming up June 9th. Ck it out at. :arrow: http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=595 ... ht=milford

See Ya Bill and Sam The Trail Dog.
Builder-Bill

Postby hopsbag » May 31st, 2007, 6:59 am

Builder-Bill wrote:I just mowed back Loop 1, and Loop 3 (The loop of Pain) today. I rode loop 4 yesterday its in good shape, just needs trimming in a few spots. Hope to finish it off in the next few days. :D

Milford Trail Challenge is coming up June 9th. Ck it out at. :arrow: http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=595 ... ht=milford

See Ya Bill and Sam The Trail Dog.

Bill, you're awesome! :D Where do you find time for your day job?
hopsbag

Postby mbrown3 » June 4th, 2007, 12:15 pm

hopsbag wrote:Lush growth along the trails has reduced sight lines in some places. I would caution all to watch carefully for riders approaching from the opposite direction. My last two times out here I have had to quickly pull aside three times to avoid oncoming cyclists.

Is this trail 2-way traffic??????
mbrown3

Postby Builder-Bill » June 4th, 2007, 3:13 pm

Most of it is one-way just in a few spots it is two-way. At the Milford trail Challenge , the maps will give you the right direction to ride it.
Ck it out at. http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=595 ... ht=milford Hope to see ya Bill
Builder-Bill

Wait to go Mountain Bikers!

Postby jaymatz » June 14th, 2007, 7:50 pm

My mom is a horse back rider that rides the Proud Lake trails. A couple of weeks ago she encounters about 20 riders. Not only did they stop, but moved off the trail for her. She told them that it was not necessary, but they insisted. She also told me that the trail is in the best shape it has ever been. Thank you MMBA members and non-member for your well appreciated effort on this trail. And thank you to the mountain bikers who showed trail etiquette. I plan on riding this trail soon with my mom and her horse.
Jason Matznick
jaymatz

Postby WICCMB » June 15th, 2007, 8:17 am

That would have been the day of the Milford Trail Challenge - there were a lot of folks out there that day. I probably ran into your mom.....was she on a black and white horse by any chance?

Builder Bill on this BB is the one who personally took the time to mow the trail system out at Proud Lake. Thank you Bill!!! :D
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Builder-Bill » June 15th, 2007, 2:27 pm

My mom is a horse back rider that rides the Proud Lake trails. A couple of weeks ago she encounters about 20 riders. Not only did they stop, but moved off the trail for her. She told them that it was not necessary, but they insisted. She also told me that the trail is in the best shape it has ever been. Thank you MMBA members and non-member for your well appreciated effort on this trail. And thank you to the mountain bikers who showed trail etiquette. I plan on riding this trail soon with my mom and her horse.
that I was ruining the trail by mowing back all the overgrowth....... That was slapping you in the face. I still can't figure that one out....
Or way every time I put up a bike sign it gets removed. Hmmm. I'm still wondering what group could be doing that? :roll:
Maybe it's that naked running group. I see all the time out there :wink: :P
See Ya Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby scat silvurz » June 15th, 2007, 3:12 pm

Was your mom riding a Paint named "Rambo" or something? Nice horse, btw. Just curious, if it was the particular horse rider combo we encountered....

Even before we got there, while still riding the in-town Milford loop by the softball fields, a lady who was kitting up her horse came running over as 20 or so of us were puttering by and was practically raving about how nice "you mountainbikers" have cleaned up and spiffed up the trails out there...we were expecting a tongue lashing but instead got a red carpet welcome.........

that was pretty cool!
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby G.Cook » June 15th, 2007, 8:25 pm

Yeah , they aren't all nasty . Kind a like , huh......mtber's :wink:
G.Cook

Postby WICCMB » June 26th, 2007, 11:26 pm

A friend and I encountered 3 horses on Loop 1 this evening. This is the first time I have encountered horses that were scared of bikes - and I mean scared! We pulled off the trail immediately, invited them forward, and struck up a conversation to try to reassure the horses that we were "people". The first horse had a tough time, but its rider coaxed him through. The 2nd horse seemed to do alright. The 3rd horse was really freaking out, trying to move sideways away from us while the rider was forcing him forward. I actually thought the rider was going to get yanked off by the vegetation off the side of the trail....

Under the circumstances, I think we did everything right.....I'm thinking these people need to socialize their horses a little bit more. I've encountered numerous horses at other times at Proud Lake, Highland, PLRA, etc. and I have NEVER seen anything like that before! :?
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby hopsbag » July 1st, 2007, 8:15 pm

Builder-Bill wrote:Most of it is one-way just in a few spots it is two-way. At the Milford trail Challenge , the maps will give you the right direction to ride it.
Ck it out at. http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=595 ... ht=milford Hope to see ya Bill

Missed the Milford Trail Challenge, but I've just discovered the new map #2 on the trail guide page. No doubt now about correct direction of travel on the trails! Thanks.
hopsbag

Postby bh357 » July 4th, 2007, 8:14 pm

Rode some of the trails at Proud Lake for the first time today. I believe I rode parts of loops 1, 2, and 3. I parked on the east side of the bridge, and went in where it said Loop 1. I think it was loop 3 that had the most elevation. I rode it CCW, and I recall riding up a gradual incline, along a ridge, a "mother" of a climb, and a series of downhills and climbs (kind of in the open). I think I may have ridden loop 2 backwards.
Not the easiest place to find your way around. Otherwise nice trails, and very much worth the ride.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby WICCMB » July 4th, 2007, 10:23 pm

bh357 wrote:Rode some of the trails at Proud Lake for the first time today. I believe I rode parts of loops 1, 2, and 3. I parked on the east side of the bridge, and went in where it said Loop 1. I think it was loop 3 that had the most elevation. I rode it CCW, and I recall riding up a gradual incline, along a ridge, a "mother" of a climb, and a series of downhills and climbs (kind of in the open). I think I may have ridden loop 2 backwards.
Not the easiest place to find your way around. Otherwise nice trails, and very much worth the ride.

You missed loop 4 - IMHO it is the best out there, and the climbing is much greater overall than loop 3 (although not with the steep sections). To get there, you have to ride the two-track at the end of loop 3 out to where it ends at the road (Childs Lake Rd), and then proceed directly across the road - you will see the sign for loop 4.

I think I saw your car out there, just before crossing the bridge back to the trailhead, and while just avoiding hitting a baby skunk by about 2 feet.... :shock:
WICCMB
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions