MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby Builder-Bill » March 31st, 2011, 9:11 am

Steve_Balogh wrote:
WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:
b_b wrote:I know these trials are shared with horses. Are there any plans to build separate trails? It seems strange that 900 acre Maybury can have separate trails, but 4700 acre Proud lake does not.

There are no plans to separate the trail system at this time. To be honest, in the park's eyes there is no reason to do so - these trails get few users. Even on the nicest weekend days, you will only encounter a couple of people out there max.

What amazes me is how many hoof prints I'll see on the sandy stretch from the parkinglot to the RR tracks, and far less on the trail, with the exception of the long rocky DH. Are the equestrians using the road or some other section in particular? I have yet to even encounter an equestrian on that trail, though I'll admit I don't ride Proud Lake too often each year.

A few years back, I worked with the head of local Equestrian club, we laying out a separate new trail system for the MT Bikers. We had a meeting with the upper DNR management and she shot it down... The local DNR management was for the separation, They saw the need to promote the Park and to help prevent any conflict between users. ...

A lot of the locals riders Know it's a hidden Gem .....True OLD School MTB riding,
So just go ride the trails...
Pleace Respect other users,.... Don't ride up to Horses.. If you see them ,Stop get off to the side , let them go by... Talk to them the hole time... Horses think you are a predictor on two wheels..

We need to show more trail usage by bikers. This will show the need for a separate trail system.
More people need to park at the Parks main parking lot off of Wixom rd or At the lot on the corner of Child's Lake rd. and Dawson rd.
Just Ride the trails
Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Last edited by Builder-Bill on April 1st, 2011, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Builder-Bill

Postby b_b » March 31st, 2011, 9:29 am

Builder-Bill wrote: A lot of the locals riders Know it's a hidden Gem .....True OLD School MTB riding,

I will have to try these trails again. A few years ago I thought these trails were sub-par compared to Brighton, PLRA, Highland ect. I recall the surface being very lose and slow from horse traffic. Are the trails improved lately and do you have any specific suggestions to make sure I hit the good stuff? It's a drive for me so I tend to just keep going over to Highland or something else. Thanks!
b_b

Postby amadkins » March 31st, 2011, 12:37 pm

b_b wrote:
Builder-Bill wrote: A lot of the locals riders Know it's a hidden Gem .....True OLD School MTB riding,

I will have to try these trails again. A few years ago I thought these trails were sub-par compared to Brighton, PLRA, Highland ect. I recall the surface being very lose and slow from horse traffic. Are the trails improved lately and do you have any specific suggestions to make sure I hit the good stuff? It's a drive for me so I tend to just keep going over to Highland or something else. Thanks!

Every time I've been out there it has been pretty torn up from horses. If you don't get out this way much, I'd skip it in favor of Highland, Milford, PLRA, etc.
amadkins

Postby WICCMB » April 1st, 2011, 1:15 am

amadkins wrote:
b_b wrote:

Every time I've been out there it has been pretty torn up from horses. If you don't get out this way much, I'd skip it in favor of Highland, Milford, PLRA, etc.

Or....you could ask for a guided tour of the trail system. I've offered many times before, and I will be happy to show people around this trail. PM me if you are interested.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Steve_Balogh » April 1st, 2011, 5:28 am

amadkins wrote:
b_b wrote:

There's been long dry seasons in August where the trail can get pretty loose and sandy, but the only horse damage I've ever seen has been the stretch from the lot to the tracks. Again, I've never encountered a horse riding here. I'm thinking the loss of a few boarding facilities and development before the housing market crash has driven some of the equestrians out of this area, I could be wrong. (Last year I knew a couple people giving away horses as no one was buying) I've not parked where Bill is saying, perhaps that's a better route. Loop 3 is really nice and is easy to miss if you are not paying attention. If i remember right the one sign wasn't too readable.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Builder-Bill » April 1st, 2011, 8:30 am

A group of us rode most of Proud Lake last night, It's in great shape. Loop 3 aka. "The Loop of Pain" . tested our spring fitness..It was Pain full.. :lol: Everyone walked the last hill. :lol:
Bill and Sam The Trail Dog
Builder-Bill

Postby reshp1 » April 4th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Rode all loops around noon on Saturday. The trail is dry and firm except for a few avoidable spots (got off and walked). There were no down trees in the way, only thing I noticed were signage had been defaced/removed in a couple spots that made the trail a bit confusing (mostly in the loop 4 area), especially being my first time out on this trail.
reshp1

Postby Spinwheel » April 24th, 2011, 9:58 pm

Rode some sections late Saturday: The dirt road from the campground west was fast. Tree down just west of Wixom Rd on Loop 1 which had the usual 3 or 4 wet spots, including some walk a-rounds, otherwise dry. Loop 1 west of the RR tracks to Childs lake was worse (avoid!). Loop 4 mostly dry to Kens connector ? minus the deep horse tracks (and many orange trail markers missing.) The kens connector had a couple walk arounds before the horse trail crossing (probly best to avoid). From there I bailed .. The dirt roads in the area were mostly dry. Saw 2 horses on L4 with friendly riders.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby froggyrider » May 5th, 2011, 8:15 am

We tried to ride Loop 1 by the RR tracks last night, but there was still a lot of standing water, so we turned around.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Spinwheel » May 8th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Big Tree down on Kens. connector just west of S. Hill Rd.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby ihateplaindave » May 9th, 2011, 8:31 am

Rode Loops 1, 2 and part of 3. Very little water on 1 and 2. Some on 3. Camp ground connector road is also water free.
ihateplaindave

Postby amadkins » May 9th, 2011, 7:04 pm

There was a tree down on loop 4 when I rode on Friday - forgot to post that one up.
amadkins

Postby davedejonge » May 16th, 2011, 9:37 pm

I live on the west side of the trail at the top of the hill in loop 3... PM me if there is a tree down or ??? I try to keep that trail clear during the winter when I x country ski, It can't be that hard to cary a chainsaw on a bike is it??

Dave
davedejonge

Postby Spinwheel » May 22nd, 2011, 11:09 pm

Loop 1 east of tracks still has some big wet spots / walk arounds.
Loop 4 was soft and slick in many spots and the trail surface was kicked up due to horse traffic.
I skipped the K-connector.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby J/C » May 25th, 2011, 11:29 am

Loop 1 and Loop 2 were good shape last night. Each has a wet spot at the start but they're rideable. The Boy Scout bridge section is pretty wet (flooded).
J/C

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions