MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby Spinwheel » May 30th, 2011, 9:57 pm

L1 wet spots (huge puddles) were worse than on my previous ride. (May 22)
L4 was so muddy and soaked that I quickly abandoned and did a dirt road ride instead. It'll take a few days to dry.
I see someone replanted the bike sign post near the Glengary connector - looks good.
Some trees down on that connector . .. I may be able to get them this week.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby Dirtdevil » June 1st, 2011, 7:52 am

Be careful out there as a freak-a-zoid tried to attack some young girls on the trail a couple of days ago.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby ihateplaindave » June 1st, 2011, 9:00 am

ihateplaindave

Postby Spinwheel » June 1st, 2011, 5:00 pm

That link redirects to msnbc's homepage

I found this :

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28083818/detail.html

Police Have Sketch Of Proud Lake Assault Suspect

Sheriff Asks For Help Finding Man In Assaults At State Park

POSTED: Tuesday, May 31, 2011
UPDATED: 5:01 pm EDT June 1, 2011
EmailEmail
PrintPrint
Twitter
Facebook
Google Buzz
Digg
Reddit
Delicious
COMMERCE TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- The Oakland County Sheriff's Department said it is asking for the public's assistance in finding a man they said assaulted two 10-year-old girls and a 6-year-old girl Sunday at Proud Lake State Park in Commerce Township.

Police said the girls were walking on a trail north of a dam at the park when a man walked past them. The man turned around and followed the girls, police said. He grabbed one of the 10-year-old girls by the hips in a "tickling manner," police said.

When she fell to the ground, the man began to pull her pants down, police said. The other 10-year-old girl tried to push the man of off her, police said. The man slapped the girl in the face, knocking her away, police said. He then fled on foot, police said.

More: Local News Headlines

The girls ran to their parents for help, who called 911. Sheriff's deputies searched the area for the man but did not find him.

Police said the man was described as white, possibly in his 20s, with brown hair, wearing a white T-shirt with black print, blue jean shorts and tennis shoes.

Watch: Police: Man Assaults Young Girls At Michigan State Park

The Sheriff's Department said Crime Stoppers is offering a $1,000 reward to anyone with information leading to an arrest. The victims' family are also offering a $1,000 reward, police said.

Anyone with information should contact the Oakland County Sheriff's Department at 248-858-0146 or Crime Stoppers at 800-SPEAK-UP.

Copyright 2011 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I did notice a guy loitering near his pickup truck at the parking area off of Childs Lake Rd. (near the east entrance to Loop 4) White pickup I believe, with writing on the door (don't recall the company name), hood open, and he seemed to stay out of site behind the open passenger's door as I rode past. Will report to Oak Cty sheriff, but not much to go on.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby Builder-Bill » June 1st, 2011, 10:32 pm

I was told It happened over by the dam where it is off limits to MT. Bikers to ride.
Most likely one of the drunks, that canoe on the river.
This Park has always had good safety record.
Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby J/C » June 2nd, 2011, 7:12 am

Wow...

Rode loops 3 and 4 last night. Pretty good shape. Start of 3 a bit muddy but the rest is good. All of 4 is good except the end section east of Childs Lake Rd which is a little wet. There is a tree across the trail in that section right after you come around a bend almost to the RR tracks. Not really bunny-hoppable for most of us.
I picked up a number of decent sized sticks the wind blew onto the trail. Things are looking pretty good for the Challenge this Saturday, looks like most of the loops just got mowed (thanks Bill?).

John
J/C

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake 6/2/11

Postby ibisman » June 2nd, 2011, 2:54 pm

Yep, I rode out from Commerce through proud lake and the trail was very nice...I was behind a couple of guys on horseback on loop one and dodged a couple huge piles until I could pass them.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake 6/2/11

Postby chris f. » June 2nd, 2011, 3:02 pm

ibisman wrote:Yep, I rode out from Commerce through proud lake and the trail was very nice...I was behind a couple of guys on horseback on loop one and dodged a couple huge piles until I could pass them.

Can I ask what route you took to get from Commerce to Proud Lake? I like the idea of riding from Commerce to Milford and back. I know I can take the connector from Proud Lake to Milford Trail then north to the MTB trail but I wasn't sure about the best/safest from Commerce to PL.

Thanks.
chris f.

Postby ibisman » June 2nd, 2011, 4:55 pm

I just ride the paved path past the graveyard and a couple parks and you enter Proud lake by crossing the street and the trail starts there.There is a sign there with arrows. Just watch out for traffic! And there was a couple of trees down in that connector part to proud lake. Let me know and I can show you sometime. Dave
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby chris f. » June 2nd, 2011, 6:00 pm

ibisman wrote:I just ride the paved path past the graveyard and a couple parks and you enter Proud lake by crossing the street and the trail starts there.There is a sign there with arrows. Just watch out for traffic! And there was a couple of trees down in that connector part to proud lake. Let me know and I can show you sometime. Dave

Sounds good. Thanks.

Chris
chris f.

Postby Builder-Bill » June 3rd, 2011, 1:20 pm

The connector part from Commerce into proud lake Is all clear,I just cut the fallen trees out.
All the Loops are mowed back and ready for the Milford Trail Challenge this Sat. 4 th.
Hope to see everyone. :D :D :D
Bill and Sam The Trail Dog.
Builder-Bill

Postby converse66 » June 8th, 2011, 11:00 am

Rode loops 2,3,4 and the Kensington connector this morning before it got too hot. It is still a little soft after crossing the tracks at the start to loop 3, but everything else was dry and in great shape.
converse66

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake 6/19/11

Postby ibisman » June 19th, 2011, 12:39 pm

I finally got to ride the other loops this morning. I met a rider ( didn't catch his name) on a blue NRS and he told me how to find the other loops. I usually only get loop 1 on my way to Milford from Commerce. There are some really nice climbs there! I made all the climbs and went into milford and did a lap and headed back to Commerce.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby davedejonge » June 20th, 2011, 10:37 am

I just rode this trail for the first time on Friday Morning, I live at the top of the wall in loop 3, and should be out there more often.
I crossed Childs lake rd (don't ride that horse trail - lots of mud) and got SOAKED by the grass on the edge of the trail ( rode in the morning dew) the normal loops were much better thanks to the grass mowing.

Thought this map might help some who wanted to ride this trail...

this is the horse riding trail map
http://proudlaketrailriders.org/pltramap.htm

this is the mmba map
http://mmba.org/library/maps/proudlake/ProudLake.jpg

Its really easy to accidentally follow loop 4 across childs lake rd which the mmba map doesn't show as part of the trail.

Also CSX has been doing track maint and so the railroad crossing is not rideable right now, its a large pile of rocks and ashphalt.
davedejonge

Postby WICCMB » June 20th, 2011, 11:31 pm

davedejonge wrote:Its really easy to accidentally follow loop 4 across childs lake rd which the mmba map doesn't show as part of the trail.

Also CSX has been doing track maint and so the railroad crossing is not rideable right now, its a large pile of rocks and ashphalt.

The MMBA map (which I just looked at for the first time) is not complete....it should be the same as the equestrian map that you posted, as all of these loops are open to all users. You can ride Loop 4 across Childs Lake Rd - which is a fun segment (when it is not wet).

The railroad crossing was removed years ago, and will likely never be repaired, as it is considered a potential hazard for the trains (since they are apparently not willing to spend money on a more durable concrete crossing). The cross-able just not ride-able.
WICCMB
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions