MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby J/C » June 21st, 2011, 6:54 am

Loops 1 and 2 in good shape last night. I think Loop 1 is best when you ride it clockwise like the MMBA map suggests. Once you're done with the sandy uphill near the start and the decent climb paralleling Wixom Rd, the reward is nice flow for the rest of the loop.

Longest day of the year today!

John
Assistant T/C
Last edited by J/C on June 21st, 2011, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
J/C

Postby galaxydean » June 21st, 2011, 6:56 am

Is there a good map of the Kensignton to Proud Lake connector anywhere?
dean
galaxydean

Postby J/C » June 21st, 2011, 7:04 am

Yes probably, but I'm not aware of where you can get a copy. The trail is the Chief Pontiac Trail the Boy Scouts use to go from Kensington to Proud Lake. It basically runs east-west between Buno and Dawson roads. Look for the hiker crossing signs on South Hill and Old Plank roads if your're entering from either of those. From loop 4, you can read the state's maps to figure out which way to go at a couple different intersections.
J/C

Postby davedejonge » June 21st, 2011, 10:13 am

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:
davedejonge wrote:Its really easy to accidentally follow loop 4 across childs lake rd which the mmba map doesn't show as part of the trail.

Also CSX has been doing track maint and so the railroad crossing is not rideable right now, its a large pile of rocks and ashphalt.

The MMBA map (which I just looked at for the first time) is not complete....it should be the same as the equestrian map that you posted, as all of these loops are open to all users. You can ride Loop 4 across Childs Lake Rd - which is a fun segment (when it is not wet).

The railroad crossing was removed years ago, and will likely never be repaired, as it is considered a potential hazard for the trains (since they are apparently not willing to spend money on a more durable concrete crossing). The cross-able just not ride-able.

the railroad crossing used to be managble, just the center section between the tracks was missing, but there was ashpalt leading up to the tracks on both sides. thats gone now, and has been left in a big pile thats probably 3 feet tall on each side.

The section east of Childs lake had some gravel added but is still really muddy. and has grass growing over much of the trail. I got soaked riding in the morning thru it from dew. I've never figured out how to do a loop in loop 4 without crossing childs lake like the MMBA map shows ( I ski there in the winter often)
davedejonge

Postby ssabin » June 21st, 2011, 9:18 pm

Just rode at Proud Lake for the first time this past Father's Day. Started out on Loop 4, and although I liked the terrain, and was surprised that dodging the land mines wasn't too difficult, I was rather disappointed at the lack of useful trail markings. Looking at the horse trail map, it makes sense that this loop is quite complex, but the lack of signage leaves you wondering which way to go. We ended coming out to Child's Lake Rd. halfway south to the proper crossover - missed the last part of Loop 4 west of Child's Lake road, I guess.

Has it always been this bad in terms of on trail markings? Is there a single direction that is expected for mountain bikers?

Rode Loop 3 next, and found it much easier to follow. Seemed more challenging than I expected for such a short loop. May have to return to check out the other loops and see if I can follow loop 4 better.
ssabin

Postby WICCMB » June 21st, 2011, 10:31 pm

ssabin wrote:Has it always been this bad in terms of on trail markings? Is there a single direction that is expected for mountain bikers?

The DNR just put the new signs/maps out there last year. Before that, there were no markers at all. Agreed it is still lacking....if you want a tour just ask, or come out to the weekly Thursday shop ride from Trails Edge Milford @ 6:30PM (disclaimer, this week I cannot be there for the ride due to a previously scheduled appt).

Loops 2/3/4 are supposed to be ridden counter-clockwise. For some reason, loop 1 is supposed to be ridden clockwise, but I personally think its better counterclockwise. But there's not enough riders to make a difference either way.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Loren » June 22nd, 2011, 5:59 am

Builder-Bill has attempted to sign this trail several times, but any signs related to biking have a very short life span at Proud Lake.
Loren

Postby ssabin » June 22nd, 2011, 11:34 am

Thanks for the offer and info on tours, Wish, but I have plans to watch my son play hockey that night. I actually find some sort of fun out of exploring a new area, so this won't be so bad.
If signs aren't lasting, maybe we could try reflectors? Then again, maybe it's one of those things that keeps it unpopular, and that has some appeal as well!
ssabin

Postby galaxydean » June 22nd, 2011, 12:09 pm

I agree. I think it's fun just exploring new trails. Hopefully the rain will stay away and let me get a ride in tonight.
dean
galaxydean

Postby Spinwheel » June 24th, 2011, 9:38 pm

Loop 1 was mostly dry tonight. There is a small tree down (chainsaw) at the start of loop 2. Viney tree at head height about 0.5 mile past the start of L3. Loop 4 was the most wet, but not too bad and the K connector had the usual wet spot or two. Nice mowing on Loops 1 and 4. Saw 3 other riders, 6 deer, a hawk and a raccoon, including the trip through Milford.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby davedejonge » June 30th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Rode 1,2,3,4 last night. Finally found my whole way thru loop 4 ( turn right at every intersection - minus the 100 feet to Old plank, and onto the kensington connector - and you cover just about all of it) Rode on the East Side of Childs Lake as well, its pretty dry now with only a few small muck suckers. 1 tree down near the end of 4 closer to the RR crossing , but nothing on 2 anymore - THANKS - Personal note, I made "the Wall" in loop 3 for the first time.
davedejonge

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake 6/30/11

Postby ibisman » June 30th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Yep, I did the whole thing today also and also did the milford trail and rode back to Commerce. Nice!
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby J/C » July 13th, 2011, 8:41 am

Spinwheel wrote:.... There is a small tree down (chainsaw) at the start of loop 2. ....

I was out there Monday night and dragged it off to the side. Rode loops 2 + 3, starting to get grown in a little but still very rideable. On loop 3, not too far from the start, there's a viney tangle of a dead treetop across the trail. Looked too entangled to pull off by hand, I will try to head out there tonight with a folding hand saw to sever the vines..

John
Asst. Trail Coordinator
J/C

Postby Builder-Bill » July 13th, 2011, 10:49 pm

J/C wrote:
Spinwheel wrote:.... There is a small tree down (chainsaw) at the start of loop 2. ....

I was out there Monday night and dragged it off to the side. Rode loops 2 + 3, starting to get grown in a little but still very rideable. On loop 3, not too far from the start, there's a viney tangle of a dead treetop across the trail. Looked too entangled to pull off by hand, I will try to head out there tonight with a folding hand saw to sever the vines..

John
Asst. Trail Coordinator

Thanks John
Most of the trail is in great shape, I rode it last week.
Bill TC
Builder-Bill

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake 7/14/2011

Postby ibisman » July 14th, 2011, 12:37 pm

rode through it this morning on the way to milford from Commerce and the trail was clear and fast but for some of those vines that grow over night that have the little teeth that scratch you and you bleed like crazy.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions