MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby bh357 » July 4th, 2007, 10:53 pm

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:
bh357 wrote:Rode some of the trails at Proud Lake for the first time today. I believe I rode parts of loops 1, 2, and 3. I parked on the east side of the bridge, and went in where it said Loop 1. I think it was loop 3 that had the most elevation. I rode it CCW, and I recall riding up a gradual incline, along a ridge, a "mother" of a climb, and a series of downhills and climbs (kind of in the open). I think I may have ridden loop 2 backwards.
Not the easiest place to find your way around. Otherwise nice trails, and very much worth the ride.

You missed loop 4 - IMHO it is the best out there, and the climbing is much greater overall than loop 3 (although not with the steep sections). To get there, you have to ride the two-track at the end of loop 3 out to where it ends at the road (Childs Lake Rd), and then proceed directly across the road - you will see the sign for loop 4.

I think I saw your car out there, just before crossing the bridge back to the trailhead, and while just avoiding hitting a baby skunk by about 2 feet.... :shock:

I think I'll need either a tour or to ride with map-in-hand. But, exploring was certainly fun.
Was it a black Pontiac Vibe? I was parked on the eastern portion of the road, at the enterance to loop 1.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby Builder-Bill » July 5th, 2007, 4:05 pm

bh357
I think it was loop 3 that had the most elevation. I rode it CCW, and I recall riding up a gradual incline, along a ridge, a "mother" of a climb, and a series of downhills and climbs (kind of in the open).
I think I may have ridden loop 2 backwards

So you found Loop 3.... The loop of pain. Did you like the false top..? :twisted: before the wall..
I saw your tracks on loop 2. I think you did ride it backwards.
We there from 12 to 3 on the 4th.
You need to ride loop 4 It has some great long climbs ,with a big down hill.
Just watch for horse back riders.

Drop me a line and I will give you a tour.
Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby Sherpaboy » July 6th, 2007, 1:45 pm

I saw your tracks on loop 2. I think you did ride it backwards.

Maybe he riders with his tires backwards so no one can "track him" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby joryde » July 8th, 2007, 7:56 pm

Rode these trails for the first time today. The not-Trailhead is a little hard to find (don't ask the kids in the SRA huts, they're clueless; I did get good directions from a Park Ranger on the HQ side of Wixom road though. If you follow Garden Rd. to the end (enter from Wixom) there's a little turn-around which is where I parked (no shade though!).
I would suggest coming in on Garden Rd. from the west, (Mapquest shows it going straight through, but it is actually blocked at Norton Creek), from Burns Rd. or up Old Plank or something...
As for the ride, the first half of Loop 1 is like riding on the beach there's so much sand; not much fun really. I hit Loops 2 & 3 also, both fairly entertaining; didn't have enough left to try Loop 4...maybe when it's cooler.javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Jon
joryde

proud lake

Postby Builder-Bill » July 9th, 2007, 2:40 pm

Joryde
I hit Loops 2 & 3 also, both fairly entertaining; didn't have enough left to try Loop 4...maybe when it's cooler.javascript:emoticon('')

You missed the best loop. Loop 4
Loop 3 is great too.

see Ya Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby mtnbkmyk » July 22nd, 2007, 11:29 am

Rode these trails for the first time yesterday - very fun and in good shape. The loop of pain earned its name and loop four was a good time. Thanks Bill for the advice and directions at the beginning of our ride - especially since we came in at a different spot. I plan to ride it again soon - next time without having ridden for two and a half hours prior to starting. We did an Island Lake, Kensington, Proud Lake and back combo (ended up to be about 47 miles)- nice training ride for O2S. The two horseback riders we encounterd were extremely friendly and everybody cooperated really well. What a great suprise to find another fine trail close to home.
"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you." (Satchel Paige)
mtnbkmyk

Postby daffunda » July 22nd, 2007, 1:34 pm

Beginner Level :lol: Whatever...... Island Lake is more like beginner level.

Replace that with Intermediate Level and Advanced Level. Being on this the first time, I think that this is in a way more intense than Highland or Pontiac. Horse crap to dodge, narrow trails, killer/super eroded uphill climbs, killer/super eroded downhills.

Climbs are nice and steep, but a tad loose. (Horses climbing doesn't help either.) Good place to practice some hardcore climbing without the blessing of flat stones (Highland) or rubber mats. (Poto)

We need more riders out here. Why isn't so many people riding this thing? This is going to be my favorite trail now. :lol:
daffunda

Postby amadkins » July 22nd, 2007, 6:31 pm

I rode the trail for the first time today, and there are areas that are certainly more intense than 'Beginner'. Some of the climbs are steep and pretty loose, but just about every trail around is loose right now. The trail also needs clearer labeling; the few signs that are out there are in bad spots, and the kids working the parking lot booth have neither maps nor clues. More riders may scare off some of the horse riders and reduce the turd content of the trail. Overall it was a fun ride.
amadkins

Postby Builder-Bill » July 22nd, 2007, 8:45 pm

amadkins
The trail also needs clearer labeling; the few signs that are out there are in bad spots, and the kids working the parking lot booth have neither maps nor clues.

Maps for Proud Lake are on the trail guide web page ( Map 2 ). Sorry about the signage, but anytime I put up a Bike sign. It gets removed buy another user group.... :roll: :roll: So just follow the loop signs and look for the land marks on the map.

This is some fun Old school trails to ride. see ya Bill and Sam the trail Dog
Last edited by Builder-Bill on July 23rd, 2007, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Builder-Bill

Postby ihateplaindave » July 23rd, 2007, 9:45 am

Bill has done a real nice job getting these trails ridable. They used to be nothing but crappy horse trails and are now looking like real mtn bike trails. It's too bad about the signage. That would really get more people riding there. I ran into a party of three guys yesterday riding. Tthey seemed a little confused but having a good time. By the way, is Loop One a one-way or two-way trail? Finally, a Hickory Glenn/Proud Lake loop is also a nice combo ride with a decent non-road connector.
ihateplaindave

Postby amadkins » July 23rd, 2007, 10:42 am

ihateplaindave wrote:I ran into a party of three guys yesterday riding. Tthey seemed a little confused but having a good time. By the way, is Loop One a one-way or two-way trail?

I was one of those guys, and we were going the wrong way. On the map it looks like Loop 1 is mostly one way with the exception of the bit right near the turnaround on Garden Rd.
amadkins

Postby ihateplaindave » July 23rd, 2007, 1:54 pm

The proper way must be the path to the left about 30 yards in that says "Horse Trail". I had come in off Wixom Road (Really nice new sign there) and just took the road back to the Park entrance as I was running out of time.
ihateplaindave

Postby Builder-Bill » July 23rd, 2007, 2:29 pm

On the map it looks like Loop 1 is mostly one way with the exception of the bit right near the turnaround on Garden Rd.

You got it, ride loop 1 clockwise. Don't go left at the Indian Arrow head signs. It will lead you into a swamp which is passable only when dry out.
See Ya Bill and Sam The trail Dog..
Builder-Bill

Postby Builder-Bill » July 23rd, 2007, 2:29 pm

On the map it looks like Loop 1 is mostly one way with the exception of the bit right near the turnaround on Garden Rd.

You got it, ride loop 1 clockwise. Don't go left at the Indian Arrow head signs. It will lead you into a swamp which is passable only when dry out.
See Ya Bill and Sam The trail Dog..
Builder-Bill

Postby WICCMB » July 26th, 2007, 10:04 pm

had my first unpleasant encounter with another trail user at Proud Lake on Wednesday.....funny thing was that it was a hiker. This "hiker" after I greeted her proceeded to tell me that "this is a DEDICATED HORSE TRAIL you know!!" I answered that it was open to all users according to the DNR. Since I didn't care to stop and argue, that's all I got from her. However, the 3 riders behind me got more than an earful from the hateful old hag.

I didn't think about it until later, but I should have asked her what she was doing hiking on a trail that is only "open to horses" :roll:
WICCMB
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions