MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby amadkins » July 24th, 2018, 6:56 am

Loop 2 has a fairly large tree down right after the entrance to the loop.

Loops 2 and 3 are pretty overgrown, but no mud.
amadkins

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby WICCMB » July 26th, 2018, 9:24 am

amadkins wrote:Loop 2 has a fairly large tree down right after the entrance to the loop.

Loops 2 and 3 are pretty overgrown, but no mud.

Tree at Loop 2 entrance is still there...its going to be some work to remove it. There is a rudimentary go-around through the tall grass.

The new campground bypass has a tree down at each end. On the east end, literally blocking the entrance to the bypass from the Glengary Rd connector is a 6" tree laying on the ground. It can be hopped over, but it's kind of awkward blocking the entrance. On the west end, perhaps 1/8 mile in from the 2-track, is a fairly large tree and branches that will require a bit more work. Will require a chainsaw.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby WICCMB » August 16th, 2018, 8:18 am

Loops 1 & 2 are badly overgrown - especially in the power line area of Loop 1 and all of the meadow areas of Loop 2.

Loops 3 & 4 have are much less overgrown - mostly OK. Overall the trail surface on all of the loops is good right now - not churned up sand which I expected for this time of the year.

The campground bypass section is clear and in good shape.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Spinwheel » August 31st, 2018, 7:40 am

WICCMB wrote:Loops 1 & 2 are badly overgrown - especially in the power line area of Loop 1 and all of the meadow areas of Loop 2.

Loops 3 & 4 have are much less overgrown - mostly OK. Overall the trail surface on all of the loops is good right now - not churned up sand which I expected for this time of the year.

The campground bypass section is clear and in good shape.

I have a power scythe and time this weekend....or later on in September.... looking for help trimming the worst areas of loop 1 to start with, let me know.

Thanks
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby amadkins » September 23rd, 2018, 6:48 pm

Apparently there was an equestrian gathering at Proud Lake today. I arrived to see 10 or so trailers loading up around 1600 today.

I ducked into loops 3 and 4, and saw a lot of damage to the trail. What bits they didn’t tear up, they managed to deposit manure all over.
amadkins

Postby WICCMB » September 24th, 2018, 10:23 am

amadkins wrote:Apparently there was an equestrian gathering at Proud Lake today. I arrived to see 10 or so trailers loading up around 1600 today.

I ducked into loops 3 and 4, and saw a lot of damage to the trail. What bits they didn’t tear up, they managed to deposit manure all over.

I rode through loop 4, then across the tracks to Garden Rd, with a small group on Saturday morning 9/22 around 10:45am. There was already evidence of some horse traffic, but it looked like the mass of riders at the Garden Rd trailhead were still prepping to go out. When we returned through in the early afternoon, it was significantly churned up.

It's a shame, but it's still a shared trail system. Luckily, regular horse traffic at Proud lake is pretty light.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Spinwheel » February 10th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Rode campground dirt road, Happy Camper bypass, L1 & 4 yesterday
98% frozen & icy with minimal snow cover
Exception was L1 poweline where the sun thawed exposed ground, and it was soft, muddy.
Saw evidence of previous rider's fall on the campground dirt road, lots of ice out there
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby mwilson7 » April 19th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Got my email regarding the Milford Bike Festival and it says there is a NEW trail at the Proud Lake Rec Area?!?!?! Does anyone have any additional information as to the where abouts of the new trail?
Mark
mwilson7

Postby Hudnut » April 20th, 2019, 7:09 am

I'm guessing they're talking about the campground bypass trail. Great stretch of trail BTW
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby WICCMB » April 22nd, 2019, 7:55 am

Yes, the "campground by-pass" singletrack is the only new trail in Proud Lake. With all of the twists and turns, it's fairly long and actually pretty fun. If you are riding out to Commerce/Hickory Glen, it's a must do. Besides, the park staff was getting complaints about all the cyclists coming through the campground. It's a compact area, with lots of families & kids running all over the place.

This bypass begins just before the 2-track ends at the campground (on the west side of the campground), and winds around eventually crossing the campground entrance road. It continues on the other side of the road and connects with the existing singletrack that goes out to Glengary Rd and the paved path that takes you all the way to Hickory Glen.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby mwilson7 » April 27th, 2019, 7:09 am

I'm very familiar with the by-pass and enjoy it but I'm very surprised this is being called new since it was used during last years Milford Challenge as well.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby WICCMB » May 28th, 2019, 10:14 am

The Proud Lake trail system has been completely trimmed and prepped in advance of this weekend's Milford Bike Fest and Trail Challenge event. Many people are still unfamiliar with this hidden gem of a trail...the loops can be confusing, so come out and ride with others on Saturday and learn all of the ins and outs!

For more information, click here:
https://runsignup.com/Race/MI/Milford/BikeFest
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby jreyst » June 1st, 2019, 9:35 am

Any chance I could help with putting in signage or something to help reduce confusion? I'd like to ride there more often or combine it with the Hick but every time I tried that in the past I found the trail very confusing and really overgrown. I wasn't even sure I was on mtb trail or horse trail or what in many areas. I'd love to make it a regular stop if it's better now than it was a few years ago! I'm also happy to help out on trail days. I've done a ton of work at Hick, Tree Farm, River Bends, Maybury, and many others and happy to put in some effort at Proud Lake.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2020 Giant Trance 3 29er
Winter: 2018 Specialized Fatboy
Backup: 2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
jreyst

Postby Hermannator » June 1st, 2019, 8:12 pm

Sadly, the bike signage at Proud Lake tends to get torn down by other trail users. It has been recently mowed and was is good shape today except for the end of Loop 4. Once you ride it a couple of times, it is pretty easy to understand. PM me sometime and I can meet you out there if you want for a tour.
Hermannator

Postby WICCMB » June 3rd, 2019, 9:02 am

a tour would be a great help I am sure. However, for me, the only way to truly learn the trails was to explore. I went out and took every right turn - noting that every time I turned I went off the trail and found myself at a road, the RR tracks, etc. I would then backtrack to the main trail and continue on. After getting home and looking at the map...each loop looked like a spider, but then it all made sense!
WICCMB
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions