MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby Avi.GRtL » July 25th, 2012, 11:10 am

Rode last night and found some downed trees on loops 3 and 4. Also took care of an overhanging tree on loop 3.

Loop 3's tree was at the 4 way intersection going up the hill. Loop 4's was a little ways after crossing the road in a swampy area.
Avi.GRtL

Postby J/C » July 25th, 2012, 11:41 am

If you're wondering why there are a lot of vehicle tracks from the horse staging area back toward the RR tracks and into the swamp, it's because some fools were out there Monday night off-roading. One got his jeep stuck real good and they (DNR and towing company) got it out yesterday evening.

I haven't done any other trimming yet, checked out loop 2 the other day and it seems OK for now.

John
J/C

Postby Spinwheel » July 25th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Hopefully the jeep driver got a ticket in addition to the towing fee...
South side of loop one was ok this afternoon... good for now as you said.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby Loren » July 25th, 2012, 10:31 pm

swamp = wetlands. It's up to the dnr, but if you poke around the web you can find cases where the fines for driving an atv off trail in wetlands can be thousands and forfeiture of vehicle.
Loren

Postby J/C » July 26th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Avi.GRtL wrote:Rode last night and found some downed trees on loops 3 and 4. Also took care of an overhanging tree on loop 3.

Loop 3's tree was at the 4 way intersection going up the hill. Loop 4's was a little ways after crossing the road in a swampy area.

I think I know the one you're talking about on Loop 4, is it the one right near the end, almost to the RR tracks? If so, I planned to leave it since it's not too big and it's laying on the ground, something to bunny hop over.

On Loop 3, when you saw 4-way intersection, do you mean the spot that's a little ways into the woods, after you pass by the old parking lot and water pump, but before The Wall? How big, could I hand saw it?

Thanks,
John
J/C

Postby Avi.GRtL » July 27th, 2012, 6:38 am

The one on loop 4 was pretty close the the tracks... I think. I wasn't sure about clearing it, so I got off my bike. I did hit my largest gear on it though on my way over (with a 29er).

As for loop 3, I think that is the one you are talking about. It was my first time out there, so I don't know the area to well. At the intersection, if you turned right from where I came from, there was a short ride to the tracks. But the tree is ~4-8 inches in diameter, I didn't get close to it. The biggest issue is that it is hovering over the trail a little. Otherwise it wouldn't have been in the way at all.
Avi.GRtL

Postby FREEDOM35 » July 29th, 2012, 9:25 am

I haven't felt the need to make redundant posts about trail conditions on the heavily trafficked trails, but Proud Lake has won me over once again, and I have to say the conditions are perfect. Right now, this trail feels like a mountain bike trail. The trail is an adventure, regardless of which loop or how many loops one may choose to do. Yes, the trail is rather overgrown in spots (especially the swampy part - so fun!), but this is only irritating when one also has to ride over incessant roots/little stumps that are overexposed due to heavy use (especially the ridiculously eroded "descents" at Maybury). This trail is fun for the same reason the Grinder is fun: it is rugged and is still a natural work of art. I know, quite an about-face compared to my previous statement about relinquishing this trail to equestrians, but it's been too hot for them and the time is ripe to get out and enjoy the trail. Plus, it's easy to also hit Island Lake and Milford if you're out at Proud Lake.
No one likes to admit they ate nine cans of ravioli
FREEDOM35

Postby J/C » August 2nd, 2012, 12:07 pm

Hi everyone,
Last night T/C Bill and I had a meeting with head ranger Andy and a group of equestrians about the bike and bridle trails. The equestrians are concerned about the increase in bike use this year and their safety. They know of three incidents where there have been injuries or nearly when a horse was disturbed by the actions of a cyclist. We discussed the trail separation plan that was jointly developed several years ago, but was turned down by the DNR. We're working on resubmitting that plan with a formal, well-written proposal. If it works out, the equestrians would keep the existing trails and we could build new MTB trails.

It will be a long process, getting approval and building trail. Until then, we needed some steps to improve the situation for the equestrians. The plan is to establish riding directions, with horse and bikes opposing each other, so a bike is less likely to "sneak up" on a horse. Please ride the trail according to the directions on the trail guide map. Directional signs will be posted soon and there will also be some work done to widen the trails to improve visibility.

Please remember the trail etiquette of cyclists yielding to other users. It makes the horses less nervous if the animal recognizes the cyclist or pedestrian as a person, so please yield the trail and make polite conversation when encountering equestrians.

Thanks!
John Cox
Assistant Trail Coordinator
J/C

Postby G.Cook » August 2nd, 2012, 1:39 pm

Ah, why don't the mountainbikers keep the present trails and the equestrians build the new trails ? Just ask'n.
G.Cook

Postby Loren » August 2nd, 2012, 1:48 pm

My opinion - it's such a beautiful piece of land, and the existing legacy trails we'd lose would pale in comparison to the MTB designed, purpose-built singletrack that we'd gain.
Loren

Postby G.Cook » August 2nd, 2012, 3:58 pm

That would be great Loren as long as the equestrians don't get "lost" on the new mtn.bike trails. It would seem there has to be some serious separation for that not to happen. Something I fear going into a future Waterloo Rec. build.
G.Cook

Postby Spinwheel » August 2nd, 2012, 9:38 pm

Trail separation is an exciting prospect for sure. The downside will be proud lake will lose its unique character..
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby amadkins » August 4th, 2012, 10:34 am

Trail was dry and loose in many spots this morning. Lots of overgrowth as well. Loop 3 was especially difficult this morning with the wet, heavy air. I was sucking pretty hard.
amadkins

Postby FREEDOM35 » August 4th, 2012, 6:03 pm

I am concerned about equestrians ignoring the trail use designation signs on a new trails as they do with the existing ones and getting themselves into more situations where their horses are spooked. Proud Lake is a very unique adventure here in SE Michigan, and I would hate to see the new trail become trampled and peppered with lumps of coal. I don't believe mountain bikers are 100% to blame for those incidents in which an equestrian consciously disregards the trail designation signs and moves into areas where there could be an issue. If there was some way to guarantee that such poor decisions are not made in the future - lots and lots and lots of very narrow switchbacks and pits, etc. - I would give as many weekends as it took to get that trail set up.
No one likes to admit they ate nine cans of ravioli
FREEDOM35

Postby ColorVoyeur » August 4th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Buddy of mine were discussing it and I had the same idea about very narrow trail entrances.

Personally i'd just want to start each trail segment with a big drop or something else a horse could not pass... but narrow switchbacks or poles would probably have as similar effect.
ColorVoyeur

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions