MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby J/C » September 8th, 2012, 6:27 pm

OK, OK, everyone is right about Strava and statistics and how it won't be representative. We can include things like participation in Milford Trail Challenge, Proud Lake Adventure Day, SMAC events, etc. I still suggest everyone join Strava. I figure all the fast guys are on there already and if some slower folks joined, it'd make my slowish times look better. 7th out of 50 sounds a lot better than 7 out of 20.
just kidding, John
J/C

Postby Hermannator » September 9th, 2012, 8:02 pm

I agree totally with the collecting of data to show trail usage at Proud Lake. Might I suggest a Google Doc or an online input for people to self-report their usage? Strava would be great if I had some device that would track my GPS data (I have a dumb phone). I am sure I am not the only one in this situation.
Hermannator

Postby Loren » September 9th, 2012, 8:13 pm

I've looked at trail traffic counters for the chapter. Some of them are pretty cool little boxes that you can bury next to a trail and come back up to a year later and download time and date for every bike that's passed. But, they are pricy, and they would only count bikes, not hikers, not horses.

For much less money, a game camera could be used to capture images of any trail users. Someone would have to periodically watch the images and manually tally the counts, but that sort of solution might be best for a place like Proud Lake where we would want to log all users.
Loren

Postby Builder-Bill » September 9th, 2012, 9:35 pm

J/C wrote:Tree down on Loop 4 climbing to the connector. Not hazardous, but it's a bigger one, I'll see what I can do about it this weekend. Tim, I'll talk to the park about the vehicle traffic, I've noticed it too. Not sure why they didn't put the rock back in place.

Kensington connector is in good shape.

John

I cut the fallen tree's out tonight. The trail is all clear and in great shape.
Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby davedejonge » September 12th, 2012, 8:31 am

Loren wrote:I've looked at trail traffic counters for the chapter. Some of them are pretty cool little boxes that you can bury next to a trail and come back up to a year later and download time and date for every bike that's passed. But, they are pricy, and they would only count bikes, not hikers, not horses.

For much less money, a game camera could be used to capture images of any trail users. Someone would have to periodically watch the images and manually tally the counts, but that sort of solution might be best for a place like Proud Lake where we would want to log all users.

If your serious about that I would be happy to monitor the camera... ( I don't have one, so that would need to be supplied, anyone one got one to borrow?)
I live on the trail (loop 3) so it would be easy for me to check on it regularly.

issues... Privacy concerns, and theft of the camera.

Dave
davedejonge

Postby J/C » September 14th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Small game season starts tomorrow, Sept. 15. Be alert for people out there blasting at stuff (game or otherwise...).
J/C

Postby davedejonge » September 14th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Good point... Target practice season... Bow season starts on OCT 1... let the games begin. wear your orange.
davedejonge

Postby Genetic_ » September 20th, 2012, 4:12 pm

I was on the Michigan DNR site and noticed a "More Information" area for Proud Lake. The "Friends of Proud Lake" have a link. I wonder if the MCMBA could get one as well.
Genetic_

Postby J/C » September 23rd, 2012, 6:48 pm

Genetic_ wrote:I was on the Michigan DNR site and noticed a "More Information" area for Proud Lake. The "Friends of Proud Lake" have a link. I wonder if the MCMBA could get one as well.

Not a bad idea, but I don't think the state wants to or needs to link to every organization that uses the park. For example, they could link MCMBA, Proud Lk Equestrians, Boy Scouts, SOLAR, mushroom hunters club (seriously, they had an event this weekend), you get the idea... There is a link from FOPL site to this site.

Haven't been out on the trails lately, but I bet they're in good shape. If anyone knows otherwise, post up.

John
J/C

Postby Spinwheel » September 23rd, 2012, 10:06 pm

Rode L's 1 and 4 today - trails in good shape - and saw the Proud Lk Equestrians trail trimming crew in action on LOOP 1 - stopped and we chatted about prospects for separate Equestrian and BIke/Hike trails.
Saw at least 6 Cross or Iceman trainers on the dirt rd west of the campground. Plenty of sand to add some extra burn
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby davedejonge » September 24th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Rode 1,2,3 and 4 tonight, One small tree down on 4 east of Childs Lake, its a bunny hop if you're good. - hand saw maybe, but its touching the ground, so that might be tough.
Rest of the trail is fantastic, Horse Riders trimmed fantastic!!
Get out and RIDE!
davedejonge

Postby deezler » September 25th, 2012, 9:03 am

So Dave, you say it's well trimmed, but I am wondering: How much poo-dodging is still required? I am generally not a fan of shared trails, but I've never checked out Proud Lake.

Is it chewed up by hooves and littered with road apples? Or is that pretty minimal and it's generally a very enjoyable trail system?

Thanks
deezler

Postby ColorVoyeur » September 25th, 2012, 9:19 am

It's chewed up and littered, and that is part of the appeal.

Don't be such a roadie, go enjoy some messy chopped up trail!
ColorVoyeur

Postby mwilson7 » September 25th, 2012, 1:32 pm

Really the main damage is limited to loops 1 and 2. Loops 3 and 4 seem to hold up much better.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby deezler » September 25th, 2012, 2:19 pm

Haha, good to know. Gotta convince my buddy too, since he has half the voting power of where we head tonight (current plan was Novi, never been to either trail).
deezler

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions