MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby Highlander » April 21st, 2018, 6:14 am

Couple of trees down at the end of the trail right before it dumps onto Glengary. Will need chain saw.
Gary
User avatar
Highlander
 
Posts: 139
Joined: December 9th, 2002, 8:43 pm
Location: Commerce Township

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby ihateplaindave » May 17th, 2018, 1:19 pm

The new campground bypass is actually getting ridable. I rode w/ a group of 10 in both directions on Tuesday and a group of 6 on Wed in both directions. It's improved a lot. Go ride it. Very little flat areas, its either up or down.
ihateplaindave
 
Posts: 690
Joined: April 27th, 2006, 8:16 am
Location: West Bloomfield

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby SteveB » May 17th, 2018, 8:38 pm

ihateplaindave wrote:The new campground bypass is actually getting ridable. I rode w/ a group of 10 in both directions on Tuesday and a group of 6 on Wed in both directions. It's improved a lot. Go ride it. Very little flat areas, its either up or down.
There’s a new bypass? Where at?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveB
 
Posts: 25
Joined: October 23rd, 2013, 12:46 pm

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby WICCMB » May 18th, 2018, 8:12 am

SteveB wrote:
ihateplaindave wrote:The new campground bypass is actually getting ridable. I rode w/ a group of 10 in both directions on Tuesday and a group of 6 on Wed in both directions. It's improved a lot. Go ride it. Very little flat areas, its either up or down.
There’s a new bypass? Where at?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


It is parallel to the campground - specifically designed to keep mountain bikers OUT of the campground. If you ride the normal 4 loops you will not find it. However, if you ride the through the doubletrack on the east side of Wixom Rd - going towards or returning from Hickory Glen - you will find it.
User avatar
WICCMB
Administrator
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 1:29 am
Location: Wixom, MI

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby amadkins » May 28th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Hit loops 2 and 4 after the Milford parade today. Mostly dry and loose with two big mud holes on 4 after the Child’s Lake Rd crossing.
amadkins
 
Posts: 538
Joined: July 22nd, 2007, 6:18 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby amadkins » July 24th, 2018, 6:56 am

Loop 2 has a fairly large tree down right after the entrance to the loop.

Loops 2 and 3 are pretty overgrown, but no mud.
amadkins
 
Posts: 538
Joined: July 22nd, 2007, 6:18 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby WICCMB » July 26th, 2018, 9:24 am

amadkins wrote:Loop 2 has a fairly large tree down right after the entrance to the loop.

Loops 2 and 3 are pretty overgrown, but no mud.


Tree at Loop 2 entrance is still there...its going to be some work to remove it. There is a rudimentary go-around through the tall grass.

The new campground bypass has a tree down at each end. On the east end, literally blocking the entrance to the bypass from the Glengary Rd connector is a 6" tree laying on the ground. It can be hopped over, but it's kind of awkward blocking the entrance. On the west end, perhaps 1/8 mile in from the 2-track, is a fairly large tree and branches that will require a bit more work. Will require a chainsaw.
User avatar
WICCMB
Administrator
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 1:29 am
Location: Wixom, MI

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby WICCMB » August 16th, 2018, 8:18 am

Loops 1 & 2 are badly overgrown - especially in the power line area of Loop 1 and all of the meadow areas of Loop 2.

Loops 3 & 4 have are much less overgrown - mostly OK. Overall the trail surface on all of the loops is good right now - not churned up sand which I expected for this time of the year.

The campground bypass section is clear and in good shape.
User avatar
WICCMB
Administrator
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 1:29 am
Location: Wixom, MI

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby Spinwheel » August 31st, 2018, 7:40 am

WICCMB wrote:Loops 1 & 2 are badly overgrown - especially in the power line area of Loop 1 and all of the meadow areas of Loop 2.

Loops 3 & 4 have are much less overgrown - mostly OK. Overall the trail surface on all of the loops is good right now - not churned up sand which I expected for this time of the year.

The campground bypass section is clear and in good shape.


I have a power scythe and time this weekend....or later on in September.... looking for help trimming the worst areas of loop 1 to start with, let me know.

Thanks
See you on the trail
User avatar
Spinwheel
 
Posts: 875
Joined: May 8th, 2003, 10:03 am
Location: SE Michigan Mountain Bike MECCA

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby amadkins » September 23rd, 2018, 6:48 pm

Apparently there was an equestrian gathering at Proud Lake today. I arrived to see 10 or so trailers loading up around 1600 today.

I ducked into loops 3 and 4, and saw a lot of damage to the trail. What bits they didn’t tear up, they managed to deposit manure all over.
amadkins
 
Posts: 538
Joined: July 22nd, 2007, 6:18 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby WICCMB » September 24th, 2018, 10:23 am

amadkins wrote:Apparently there was an equestrian gathering at Proud Lake today. I arrived to see 10 or so trailers loading up around 1600 today.

I ducked into loops 3 and 4, and saw a lot of damage to the trail. What bits they didn’t tear up, they managed to deposit manure all over.


I rode through loop 4, then across the tracks to Garden Rd, with a small group on Saturday morning 9/22 around 10:45am. There was already evidence of some horse traffic, but it looked like the mass of riders at the Garden Rd trailhead were still prepping to go out. When we returned through in the early afternoon, it was significantly churned up.

It's a shame, but it's still a shared trail system. Luckily, regular horse traffic at Proud lake is pretty light.
User avatar
WICCMB
Administrator
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 1:29 am
Location: Wixom, MI

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby Spinwheel » February 10th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Rode campground dirt road, Happy Camper bypass, L1 & 4 yesterday
98% frozen & icy with minimal snow cover
Exception was L1 poweline where the sun thawed exposed ground, and it was soft, muddy.
Saw evidence of previous rider's fall on the campground dirt road, lots of ice out there
See you on the trail
User avatar
Spinwheel
 
Posts: 875
Joined: May 8th, 2003, 10:03 am
Location: SE Michigan Mountain Bike MECCA

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby mwilson7 » April 19th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Got my email regarding the Milford Bike Festival and it says there is a NEW trail at the Proud Lake Rec Area?!?!?! Does anyone have any additional information as to the where abouts of the new trail?
Mark
mwilson7
 
Posts: 81
Joined: June 29th, 2009, 11:52 am
Location: Milford

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby Hudnut » April 20th, 2019, 7:09 am

I'm guessing they're talking about the campground bypass trail. Great stretch of trail BTW
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
User avatar
Hudnut
 
Posts: 609
Joined: April 9th, 2005, 7:32 pm
Location: Commerce twp

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby WICCMB » April 22nd, 2019, 7:55 am

Yes, the "campground by-pass" singletrack is the only new trail in Proud Lake. With all of the twists and turns, it's fairly long and actually pretty fun. If you are riding out to Commerce/Hickory Glen, it's a must do. Besides, the park staff was getting complaints about all the cyclists coming through the campground. It's a compact area, with lots of families & kids running all over the place.

This bypass begins just before the 2-track ends at the campground (on the west side of the campground), and winds around eventually crossing the campground entrance road. It continues on the other side of the road and connects with the existing singletrack that goes out to Glengary Rd and the paved path that takes you all the way to Hickory Glen.
User avatar
WICCMB
Administrator
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 1:29 am
Location: Wixom, MI

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron