MCMBA: Milford

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Milford

Postby amadkins » April 28th, 2012, 6:19 pm

wompasaurus wrote:
Builder-Bill wrote:The Trail is in Great Shape... and Vary Fast.... :wink:

Someone keeps removing the rocks, at the top of climb on refrigerator Hill .. :evil: . If it keeps up, I will have to start adding rocks... :twisted:

Bill TC

i dont think ive done that section yet. but the first rock pile by the paved portion that one big rock is a pia. I want to move it so bad an put a bunch of smaller ones there but well its not my trail. maybe someone will get rid of it. with the 2 trees there theres no way around i always have to hop off an walk over it.

Just take it on the left. It used to get me too till I found the good line on the left.
amadkins

Postby wompasaurus » April 28th, 2012, 6:20 pm

ive attempted it an every time my pedal or derailleur hits it pretty hard.
wompasaurus

Postby redwoods22 » April 28th, 2012, 7:20 pm

I always take the line to the right as the line to the left wasnt there when the trail opened.. its a *beep* but keep at it and you will eventually clean it..
redwoods22

Postby BForhan » April 28th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Ride over the center of it.I have found that to be the best way to navigate it.When I first started riding that trail I tried.lines to the left and right nothing worked well.....until I rode over thecenter of it.
Brian
BForhan

Postby Builder-Bill » April 30th, 2012, 10:19 pm

amadkins wrote:
wompasaurus wrote:

Someone keeps removing the rocks, at the top of climb on refrigerator Hill .. :evil: . If it keeps up, I will have to start adding rocks... :twisted:

Bill TC

i dont think ive done that section yet. but the first rock pile by the paved portion that one big rock is a pia. I want to move it so bad an put a bunch of smaller ones there but well its not my trail. maybe someone will get rid of it. with the 2 trees there theres no way around i always have to hop off an walk over it.

Just take it on the left. It used to get me too till I found the good line on the left.

I go Over the top or Around the left.
There use to be some smaller rocks around the big one, that made it a lot easer to get over it....
Someone removed them... :(
Builder-Bill

Postby davedejonge » May 1st, 2012, 11:09 am

Builder-Bill wrote:
amadkins wrote:
wompasaurus wrote:

Bill TC

I go Over the top or Around the left.
There use to be some smaller rocks around the big one, that made it a lot easer to get over it....
Someone removed them... :(

Ah, thats my excuse for not making it my last time thru. :)
Got to test out my new riding crashing gloves because of it.
davedejonge

Postby BForhan » May 5th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Finally got back on this trail for the first time this yea,r the additions are nice. I think Bill is being nice as I saw some head sized rocks rolled to the side and some large logs he could have drug over and turned into logs piles.
Trail is in great shape just a few mud spots.

Brian
BForhan

Postby Mucky » May 5th, 2012, 9:53 pm

A few mud spots this evening, some loose debris, and a few face slappers. There is a good size branch/face slapper, that covers the entire trail just before the paved trail crossing by the dam to the right, and the building structer( not sure what to call it) to the left on top of the hill. All in all, pretty good tonight

Also, while I like the newer sections that traverse up the hill, I wish it was smoothed out a little. And I noticed some cans in the trail, along with some glass and a couple glass bottles near the trail.
Mucky

Postby Moto339 » May 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm

Trail was in good shape just a few puddles and slime spot's nothing you could not ride through or bunny hop and do any damage to the trail. New section is getting tracked in real nice. Also I finally was hit be a golf ball today. That *beep* white ball hurts it hit me on my left knee my first lap in. Great night for a ride look out for the wanna be golfers shanking balls into the trail. :evil:
What is Stopping You?
Moto339

Postby J/C » May 14th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Moto339 wrote:Trail was in good shape just a few puddles and slime spot's nothing you could not ride through or bunny hop and do any damage to the trail. New section is getting tracked in real nice. Also I finally was hit be a golf ball today. That *beep* white ball hurts it hit me on my left knee my first lap in. Great night for a ride look out for the wanna be golfers shanking balls into the trail. :evil:

Did you hide in the bushes and chuck it back on the course as the culprits came by??? That's what I would have done!

Rode last night, trail is good, thanks trimming back some of the shrubbery, whoever did it. A couple wet spots, nothing major, not bad considering we got about 1 and 1/3 inches of rain last week.
J/C

Postby pharus » May 23rd, 2012, 12:32 pm

Moto339 wrote:. Also I finally was hit be a golf ball today.

I found the offending golf ball last night, it was by a section that has a long narrow piece of trail out and then back. I was cheating and cutting through to catch up to my riding buddy who was way ahead of me then...

I rode the trail last night for the first time. It was quite a challenge, very mentally tiring with the constrant twists and turns. I think the big rocks at the tight corners make for some actual difficulty, rather than the "rock gardens" in some trails that you can ride through without a second thought. I admit I got jammed by the rocks once, and another time one hit my pedal and took my foot right off, but mountain bike riding should be a challenge, I wouldn't change it. And for what it is worth, I went over the top of the one big rock on the first lap, and that worked fine. The next time I tried to go around it, and that wasn't so good.

While riding the trail, it gives the impression that it is 90% uphill, 10% downhill! I know that getting used to the trail and findng out where you can conserve momentum will make it more enjoyable. Too bad the trail is so far away from Sterling Hts. If I ever had to relocate, I would move smack dab in the middle of Milford/Novi/Maybury, so that I didn't have an hour drive every time I want to ride.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby Grimpeur » May 26th, 2012, 9:46 pm

I agree on trail conditions, rode today after the rain, trail still bone dry.
Two new firsts on Milford trail today....almost ran over a 10lb. snapping turtle at the start of the trail and had a d-bag biker near the pipeline practicaly run me off the trail! There was a little incidental contact. Sorry, didn't know I was going that slow? I'll get out of the way if you yell "Trail!"
With this year's new loops I clocked the trail from trailhead to trailhead at 5.3 mi.
One question, with the refrigerator gone on refrigerator hill where do we keep the beer cold?
Last edited by Grimpeur on May 27th, 2012, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grimpeur

Postby ColorVoyeur » May 27th, 2012, 7:10 am

Damp toilet paper.... hear me out Grimpeur...

Wet some TP and wrap it around your beer bottles. The act of evaporation will cool the bottle down. Obviously this is not going to turn a Coors light bottle blue, but it will drop a fine ale's temperature enough to enjoy.

The other option would be suspending the beer in the water near the *beep*.
ColorVoyeur

Postby Grimpeur » May 28th, 2012, 3:17 pm

amadkins wrote:
wompasaurus wrote:

Bill TC

To put some perspective on the rock piles on Milford Trail just ride up to Highland and checkout the rock pile at the entrance to C loop, comes with a nice overhanging deadfall...opps, don't hit your head! After that, you should find the Milford Trail a little easier.
-Grimpeur
Grimpeur

Postby wspfan » May 28th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Did a quick lap this afternoon with the wife in prep for next weekend. Trail was in good shape, but the rain followed by heat has really helped speed up the edge growth. I'll try to ride with snips this week and clear the slappers.

Wife had a good ride, only got off for the off camber turn in the rock garden. Looking forward to the Milford Trail Challenge... or at least the drinks after.
wspfan

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions