MCMBA: Milford

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Milford

Postby Sortaslow » August 18th, 2012, 9:16 pm

DxSxL wrote:I just moved out to Milford last week and had a chance to try this trail for the first time tonight.....it was a blast, and the trail was in great shape! I have a feeling this is going to quickly become one of my regular trails!

That and the other aweosme trails right near you!
Sortaslow

Postby Builder-Bill » August 19th, 2012, 11:31 pm

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:Rode there this past Tuesday night and had a blast as usual. Dry and fast. Ran into one young guy on an old steel Gary Fisher and helped
him out with a hex wrench and saw about 6 swans chilling on the shore at the end of the whooptie bridges.

Thing I wanted to mention to Bill was though - at 1.4 from the parking lot or 1.0 from the tall vertical trailhead sign there are three planks
rotted, falling in and making a potentially dangerous hole in the first wooden bridge that need replacing. One 2" x 6" and two 2" x 4"s there.

I did a little patch work on the wooden bridge tonight. trail is in great shape.
Builder-Bill

INCOMING!

Postby Steve_Balogh » August 27th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Was out there last Saturday, fast dry, few sandy spots. At one point getting near the fenceline of the golf course, I thought I heard another rider coming up behind me and kicking up a rock. Going around a switchback, there was no one else in sight. As I was along the fenceline by the log "skinny" I heard the same sound but louder, a golf ball was coming through the woods near me. Didn't see it, but I've played enough golf to know what a "close call" sounds like. Not sure if that's an area where a wild shot could go over the fence from the adjacent golf course, but sometimes people will shoot a "shag ball" into the woods while waiting for the next group to be out of range. Gives new meaning to "wear your helmet" :shock:
Steve_Balogh

Postby hopsbag » October 24th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Did laps last night and tonight. A few moderately snotty spots from the rain, and of course, totally leaf covered. Except where someone has been clearing them from the tread. Mostly between the trailhead and refrigerator hill. (Can I still call it that now that they are gone?) Only place it makes sense to me to remove the leaves is from the wood bridges.
hopsbag

Postby Builder-Bill » October 30th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Sandy's winds have knocked down 3 large trees across the trail. I will try to get them cut out by the weekend. :)
Bill and Sam the trail Dog.
Builder-Bill

Postby Builder-Bill » November 6th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Milford is in great shape,I been seeing a lot of riders on the trail . :D :D
I been laying out a few new flat trail sections that I should have in by spring. :wink:
Bill and Sam the trail dog.
Builder-Bill

Postby turbotoad » November 18th, 2012, 3:00 pm

First time to Milford today. Fun trail. Impressed with the amount of trail within the limited space. But that isn't always a good thing though.....it makes for a generally slow trail with unending twisties. It is definetly not a trail for taking in the surroundings as your attention is constantly on the 20-30ft directly in front of you. There was one section that was a really fast downhill run through a field which was a blast! And a short section above the lake with numerous bridges was sweet! But the rest of it was a blur of turns and more turns. It will be interesting to see what these "flat" sections are mentioned above.

If your into tight, twistie, more "technical" type riding, this is a fun little (only 5miles) trail. If your more into fast, sweeping, higher speed riding there are many other options.
turbotoad

Postby redwoods22 » November 18th, 2012, 3:41 pm

its a slow trail until you learn it.. once you know the trail you can find lots of places where you can carry speed.. And thats when it gets fun to rail some of those turns at speed.

BTW, official mileage is roughly 6.5 miles..
redwoods22

Postby mwilson7 » November 18th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Or head up to Highland for more of the same!! :twisted:

Was out today and saw Bill busy working on our christmas present.......... I can't wait!!

Does the 6.5m count the new area at the beginning?
Mark
mwilson7

Postby redwoods22 » November 18th, 2012, 7:48 pm

mwilson7 wrote:Or head up to Highland for more of the same!! :twisted:

Was out today and saw Bill busy working on our christmas present.......... I can't wait!!

Does the 6.5m count the new area at the beginning?

no, but looking at my past garmin tracks (with speed sensor) it seems that the 6.5 usually includes starting from the Y instead of the ballfields.. my bad.

@ Builder Bill -- I noticed at big honkin rock a couple feet off the trail yesterday (right up against Commerce Rd in the North/West corner) that I had never noticed before.. any chance of making a trail feature out of it?

also I saw a big piece of folded up auto glass just past the summit of refrigerator hill this week.. I couldn't figure out how to remove it and just now remembered to mention it..
redwoods22

Postby hopsbag » November 19th, 2012, 12:02 pm

turbotoad wrote: It will be interesting to see what these "flat" sections are mentioned above.

I think Bill must have been raised in the mountains of West Virginia or something. His idea of "flat" is not the same as the rest of us!
hopsbag

Postby hopsbag » December 23rd, 2012, 3:13 pm

Rode a lap this afternoon in reverse direction. Exposed and south facing areas are snow free. Just a sparse coating elsewhere, except in the southwest corner along the golf course where there are some minor drifts. Exposed areas have some greasy mud here and there, so I tried to stay on frozen stuff when possible. Only one other set of tire tracks out there. Saw a hawk swoop on a squirrel high in one of the trees, missed him. Have a Merry Christmas!
hopsbag

Postby jbolenbaugh » December 30th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Attempted to ride Milford yesterday. Even with fat bike there was just to deep of powder to be rideable. :(.
Team : Wheels In Motion
Great Quotes
"I really love my 29er cannondale single speed, but now that strava exists and I live next to ILRA i'm going to need some gears to look better"
"Quote Redacted" -Racing Greyhounds member
jbolenbaugh

Postby mwilson7 » February 17th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Hiked part of the trail today and it was 90%+ ice.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby ibisman » February 17th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Cool...stud time!
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)