MCMBA: Milford

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Milford

Postby Steve_Balogh » March 16th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Weather reports indicated Milford was getting the most snow and coldest temps out of the majority of trails I ride, so I went here. Not quite as much snow as expected, but made for a great ride today, did two laps. Only issue was a low hanging branch requiring a dismount to get under.
Steve_Balogh

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 2nd, 2013, 3:59 pm

Are both milford and proud lake good? haven't been to either before, but I need a fix from riding dirt roads!
Image But I'm not a racer.
CraveSingletrack

Postby Di_bear » April 2nd, 2013, 5:09 pm

Builder-Bill wrote:The Trail is Open and 99 % dry.. Go Ride the New Flat section in.. :wink:
Get your trail Fix.....
Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Milford TC
Proud Lake TC

Sounds like a trip to Milford is in order!
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby mwilson7 » April 4th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Just got back from my first ride of the year on the Milford Trail:

- First off I have NEVER seen so many cars in the parking lot with bike racks on the back. If you are a local you would have thought a baseball game was happening.

- The trail is in great shape with a couple of small slick spots. It will be completely dry by Saturday for sure but its totally rideable!

- Bill - I really like the new area that you put in on the new area. I was biking with a few of my friends who hadn't been on the trail since last summer and they can't believe how much has been added. You continue to find space in the woods and expand the trail without feeling like you are continually back tracking. Keep up the great work and let us know if you need any help on the trail.
Last edited by mwilson7 on April 5th, 2013, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby iamkickstand » April 4th, 2013, 7:32 pm

strava told me 6.2 miles. Got it done 6 minutes faster tonight compared to last night.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself but you borrowed my buddies pump and I was looking for the torx driver.

Trail was MUCH drier tonight, today made a huge difference. It was nearly perfect tonight.
iamkickstand

Postby Builder-Bill » April 9th, 2013, 3:56 pm

BForhan wrote:I have never seen him in all my times there, but I do think I and many others owe him a burger and beer for this work of art he has built.

Brian

Thanks Brian, Glad you Like my art work.. :)
I think all the Trail Builders and Trail TC's in the area should get,... Those Burgers and Beers. :) :)
Everyone puts in lots of hours to keeps our trails in Mi. in great shape... They deserve Burgers and Beer Too :lol: :lol:
I'll get you a headcount later.. :)

Its funny how may times someone questions me... "Way are you in the woods with Loppers and Chainsaw? "
When you tell them way ...They get this baffled look on there face... Like... Don't Trails just appear...and clear themselves?
Next question:
"Is someone paying you to be doing this.?." aka.. Is my taxpayers money paying for this... LOL.
Milford and Proud Lake TC
Builder-Bill

Postby mwilson7 » April 9th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Bill,

Where are you considering the beginning and end when you get 6.1 miles? From the Commerce Rd entrance to the SW corner of the baseball fields?

Let me know where and when and I'll pitch in to help pay for the beer and burgers!!
Mark
mwilson7

Postby G.Cook » April 10th, 2013, 8:28 am

Its funny how may times someone questions me... "Way are you in the woods with Loppers and Chainsaw? "
When you tell them way ...They get this baffled look on there face... Like... Don't Trails just appear...and clear themselves?
Next question:
"Is someone paying you to be doing this.?." aka.. Is my taxpayers money paying for this... LOL.
Milford and Proud Lake TC

One of the reasons the Poto chapter purchased hunter orange LS tee's for any trail crew who put in 10 hr.s or more volunteer hours. With nice big letters on the back, VOLUNTEER and the Poto logo on the front. :wink: The guys got tired of being mistaken for the DNR or some community service/jail bird work requirement. :lol:
G.Cook

Postby G.Cook » April 10th, 2013, 4:17 pm

6 miles from trail head parking lot (baseball fields ) back to the trail head. It feels like 10 miles at times...
If you are using a GPS based systems, they don't work well on tight twisty trails like Milford.

:lol: That's what I always tell folks when I describe Milford......."but it feels like 10".
G.Cook

Postby Builder-Bill » April 18th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I just finished rerouting the trail around the 1st big mud hole in the new section.
Sorry about that wet spot, when I laid the trail out I didn't think that area would flood. :( :(
At the second smaller soft spot I will cut in a buy pass in the next few days be use when wet.
The new...new... reroute did add a little more trail.. :D :D :D
The trail is in great shape. I did see a few riders today before the storms rolled in.
Bill and Sam the trail dog.
Milford TC
Builder-Bill

Postby shady » April 20th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Rode the trail tonight for a couple of laps and it is in astonishingly good shape. A couple of small holes in the low area that were a bit soft and one section near the north side of the golf course that I had to walk around. Picked up a few branches that had blown down. Great job, Bill!
shady

Postby c0nsumer » April 25th, 2013, 8:55 am

For what it's worth, a bunch of us TCs regularly cover some roots and rocks with dirt. I like to think of this as using dirt and clay to grout things that'll come loose back in place. Give it a month or so and it'll be back to normal.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby dirt » April 25th, 2013, 9:37 am

c0nsumer wrote:For what it's worth, a bunch of us TCs regularly cover some roots and rocks with dirt. I like to think of this as using dirt and clay to grout things that'll come loose back in place. Give it a month or so and it'll be back to normal.

Right.. Rocks and roots that become more and more exposed over time are the result of soil packing down around them, or being washed away over time. Packing in soil around these features return the trail to it's more original design, and help keep them in place. Without this, rocks often come lose and end up moving off the trail, and roots often become so exposed that they break off.
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby amadkins » April 29th, 2013, 6:05 pm

The new section was still pretty soft this afternoon. Had to walk a lot of it.
amadkins

Postby Builder-Bill » May 12th, 2013, 10:10 pm

The Trail Is in great shape. I cut down the low hanging tree at the begining of the trail , its all clear. :) :)
Bill
Builder-Bill

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions