MCMBA: Milford

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Milford

Postby mtbrskier » June 3rd, 2020, 1:53 pm

Wow, they got in there fast. I last rode the trail on Friday morning 5/29 around 7:30am and while I noticed all the survey markets and trees painted to be cut down, they hadn't started doing any clearing work yet.
I've run on the paved bike path a few times through there this week, including this morning and didn't notice any clearing yet, but it just may not be visible from there yet.

Basically, they are clearing the corridor between the stakes with blue & white flags, and the orange flags mark the actual location of the new pipeline. Its basically being installed between the two existing pipeline clearings that run through the area. Its going to impact most of the trail on the western edge of the park.
From where the trail turns back from the powerline along Commerce Road, all the way to where it crosses the paved bike path by the dam.
Some of the skill/freeride park is going to be impacted but it looks like some of it may be saved.
They also are going to be boring/tunneling under the Huron River down by the dam as well.
Personally, I would have rather seen them run it under the golf course at Mystic Creek that is already cleared than cutting down trees and ruining mt bike trail, but it is what is it. That area was a pipeline corridor long before it had mountain bike trails.

At least we still have about 2-3 miles that will still be available and Highland and Proud Lake nearby as well.
mtbrskier

Postby WICCMB » June 3rd, 2020, 4:00 pm

mtbrskier wrote:Wow, they got in there fast. I last rode the trail on Friday morning 5/29 around 7:30am and while I noticed all the survey markets and trees painted to be cut down, they hadn't started doing any clearing work yet.
I've run on the paved bike path a few times through there this week, including this morning and didn't notice any clearing yet, but it just may not be visible from there yet.

Basically, they are clearing the corridor between the stakes with blue & white flags, and the orange flags mark the actual location of the new pipeline. Its basically being installed between the two existing pipeline clearings that run through the area. Its going to impact most of the trail on the western edge of the park.
From where the trail turns back from the powerline along Commerce Road, all the way to where it crosses the paved bike path by the dam.
Some of the skill/freeride park is going to be impacted but it looks like some of it may be saved.
They also are going to be boring/tunneling under the Huron River down by the dam as well.
Personally, I would have rather seen them run it under the golf course at Mystic Creek that is already cleared than cutting down trees and ruining mt bike trail, but it is what is it. That area was a pipeline corridor long before it had mountain bike trails.

At least we still have about 2-3 miles that will still be available and Highland and Proud Lake nearby as well.

The Milford mountain bike trail is located on property that is owned by the Metropark Authority, but which is leased to the village of Milford. The pipeline that needs to be replaced runs under the golf course currently (which is on Camp Dearborn property. My understanding is that Camp Dearborn paid a ransom to the Metropark Authority to have the pipeline routed on their property (alongside of the other existing pipeline) instead of tearing up the golf course. This was all done without public comment, of course.
WICCMB
Administrator

MCMBA: Milford

Postby steveracer » June 3rd, 2020, 7:38 pm

At least we have quite a few other trails to ride around here. And Highland is not being torn up.

Besides, at least we are not going to golf, AND pay greens fees every time for the pleasure of boredom and frustration.

MTB is free for all intents and purposes.

Sent from device. Excuse eras.
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby Grimpeur » July 15th, 2020, 6:31 am

Last trail condition update seems to be from last month so here is the latest from a Milford local/frequent user...
I rode Milford on 7.9.20, timber along western edge of trail cut but still on ground, no earth moving/excavating. Trail reroute in effect (and working nicely).
Came back from out-of-town and rode Milford 7.14.20, all cut timber removed and significant earth moving had taken place with even more brush/timber removal. Free ride area is at the least, difficult to access. Where the original reroute led you on to the paved trail (back to the free ride area) you need to continue to where the mtb trail crosses the paved trail before the dam to access the mtb trail again.
I feel bad for us as mountain bikers about this situation but even more so for the trail builders who spent so much time and effort on this trail. I have been riding mountain bikes in this exact area even before there was an official trail, the efforts of some dedicated people made the trail great and a definite "go to" if you live in Milford.
It is unfortunate that it appears the value of this area for what seems like over a decade now as a recreational opportunity was ignored but, that being said, the entire west side of the Milford trail is now a blank slate and I am curious if any plans are in place for a reboot? Given the micro topography, maybe a flow section with a couple of nice banked berms leading to switchbacks, a couple of drops and a small jump or two?
Grimpeur

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions