Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby DynoDon » June 24th, 2019, 4:41 am

I get confused at times, is this Winn or Kame? I ride all three nonstop in the 1hr 30''s, for a 73 yr old I'm satisfied with that, I lost my stamina out there somewhere when I find it I'll be in the 1hr 20's, I have been on a little of Sugar, its not going to be confused with the other trails, I hope they make it longer then originally planned, its more technical, it won't be long, and that will be open..
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby crustaceous_flora » June 27th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Has anyone that's ridden part of the new Sugar Loop give any info on what it's like? Are there sick jumps, rock gardens, drops, etc?
crustaceous_flora
 
Posts: 76
Joined: December 27th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby DynoDon » July 1st, 2019, 7:34 am

I rode Sunday, the parking lots were full, I rode Brighton too, almost no bikes there, I did see an Electric bike go on the trail at Brighton, (not at the trailhead). It seems there needs to be more parking at DTE, plenty of hikers there, they have their own trails at Waterloo, where bikes aren't allowed, mountain bike trails are much better maintained is all I can figure. I rode Poto last week after DTE on Saturday, way too many hikers/runners there on the weekends for me. A runner at Poto told me to stick it up my *beep*.. LOL I wonder why he wasn't running Waterloo... OR maybe working on the trails at Waterloo so he could run where there are no bikes..
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby Trance » July 1st, 2019, 7:49 am

Rode DTE for the first time last Thurs/Fri. Did Kame/Winn on Thursday, then all 3 on Friday. Man that place is fun! The banked turns are a blast! Hills are hills, but the descents is well worth the climbing. I live up in Rochester, where we have a lot of great local trails (Stoney Creek, Bloomer, Addison Oaks, Bald Mountain, River Bends), but DTE is totally different. The only one that is kinda similar is Addison Oaks. I camped at the nearby Sugarloaf Lake campground, its about 15 minutes to the DTE Secondary entrance on Cassidy Rd. DTE is definitely a destination trail that I will visit again!

Conditions were dry/dusty/loose.
Trance
 
Posts: 63
Joined: July 21st, 2009, 10:14 am

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby Trance » July 1st, 2019, 7:51 am

DynoDon wrote:I rode Sunday, the parking lots were full, I rode Brighton too, almost no bikes there, I did see an Electric bike go on the trail at Brighton, (not at the trailhead). It seems there needs to be more parking at DTE, plenty of hikers there, they have their own trails at Waterloo, where bikes aren't allowed, mountain bike trails are much better maintained is all I can figure. I rode Poto last week after DTE on Saturday, way too many hikers/runners there on the weekends for me. A runner at Poto told me to stick it up my *beep*.. LOL I wonder why he wasn't running Waterloo... OR maybe working on the trails at Waterloo so he could run where there are no bikes..


Dude needs some fat tire tracks on his back next time!
Trance
 
Posts: 63
Joined: July 21st, 2009, 10:14 am

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby DynoDon » July 6th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Tree down on Winn about the 2 1/2 yard stick...
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby tadraper » July 6th, 2019, 1:45 pm

DynoDon wrote:Tree down on Winn about the 2 1/2 yard stick...


I just checked face book and it has been removed.

Someone let us k ow before we got there. Great people out on the trail today!!

T



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 Salsa Powderkeg
2016 C-Dale T1 Tandem
2010 Gary Fisher Triton SS with my son
tadraper
 
Posts: 117
Joined: July 13th, 2009, 5:46 pm
Location: Chelsea

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby crustaceous_flora » July 10th, 2019, 2:32 pm

New loop is gonna be the sendiest one yet, there's some huge launchers back there! Can't wait till they finish bringing all the rocks back there and it's all packed down. We finally have some gnarly features in SE MI!
crustaceous_flora
 
Posts: 76
Joined: December 27th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby DynoDon » July 12th, 2019, 11:57 am

I found a way to make these trails much harder, yesterday I did a triple double non stop.. all three trails, twice.. 36 miles, I cramped up the last mile, I wasn't drinking enough of my camelbak, I stopped drank what was left, cramps went away, and was able to finish a bit slower then my first round of 1hr 45mi.. not bad for an old guy..... trails were dry, fast, no trees down.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby b_b » July 12th, 2019, 12:38 pm

DynoDon wrote:I found a way to make these trails much harder, yesterday I did a triple double non stop.. all three trails, twice.. 36 miles

Wouldn't that be a double triple? :mrgreen:
b_b
 
Posts: 1712
Joined: May 30th, 2010, 9:55 am

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby DynoDon » July 12th, 2019, 1:47 pm

I guess I'm thinking of the triple trail challenge, that was a challenge for me. I'm trying to find my stamina, I think I left it at Highland though..
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby macarone » July 15th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Ran across a half dozen or so SLAUGHTERED chipmunks! They were a bit slippery lol!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macarone
 
Posts: 15
Joined: April 28th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby DynoDon » August 10th, 2019, 12:48 pm

The shortcut was getting pretty wild, so I trimmed it today, the DR Trimmer doesn't skin it down, but it cut them 4 footers down to size..

The rest of the trails were good to go, that one widow maker just before Cassidy Lake rd on Kwame counter clockwise seems to be getting lower or is it me?
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby Mucky » August 24th, 2019, 7:14 pm

My daughter and I rode the Blue and Green loops today for the first time. The trails was great. I only have one issue. I will tell a quick backstory first
When we got there, I looked at the trail maps and was trying to figure out how to ride blue without riding all of green first. There there was no indication of the trails being one-way or two-way. Being two-way would get to blue mush shorter, but the mile markers indicated going one way (clockwise). Anyway, I came back to the car and asked a couple of guys how to get to blue without riding green. They mentioned that the trails switch directions every other day. And today, we could get to blue without riding all of green.
We went on the ride and encountered 2 different people coming the opposite way on blue. Kind of dangerous. I thought we may be going the wrong way. I noticed some white signs on the trail that had days on them. They are hard to read when you don't expect them and trying to ride. I figured those were the days to be riding the direction we were riding. When we got to Blue /Green intersection, the other 2 riders had come back asking if they were riding the wrong direction. I told them they were.
My issue is that there is NO, NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZERO, information at the parking lot stating which direction to ride the trail on which days. This seems like a no brainer to have that info posted, but it's not. I didn't see that info on the Waterloo website, or in the beginning of this thread. I did not read through all 16 pages of this thread, so I don't know if that info is posted. But if it is, it should be on the first page. More importantly it should be posted at the Main parking lot, and the other parking lots, for the majority of people who don't check this website. It should also be posted at the connectors, like Blue/green, Blue/Orange, etc.

I still don't know which days are which. With 7 days in a week, do the trails ride the same direction 2 days in a row?
Mucky
 
Posts: 106
Joined: September 10th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo)

Postby Hail2Victors » August 24th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Mucky wrote:My daughter and I rode the Blue and Green loops today for the first time. The trails was great. I only have one issue. I will tell a quick backstory first
When we got there, I looked at the trail maps and was trying to figure out how to ride blue without riding all of green first. There there was no indication of the trails being one-way or two-way. Being two-way would get to blue mush shorter, but the mile markers indicated going one way (clockwise). Anyway, I came back to the car and asked a couple of guys how to get to blue without riding green. They mentioned that the trails switch directions every other day. And today, we could get to blue without riding all of green.
We went on the ride and encountered 2 different people coming the opposite way on blue. Kind of dangerous. I thought we may be going the wrong way. I noticed some white signs on the trail that had days on them. They are hard to read when you don't expect them and trying to ride. I figured those were the days to be riding the direction we were riding. When we got to Blue /Green intersection, the other 2 riders had come back asking if they were riding the wrong direction. I told them they were.
My issue is that there is NO, NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZERO, information at the parking lot stating which direction to ride the trail on which days. This seems like a no brainer to have that info posted, but it's not. I didn't see that info on the Waterloo website, or in the beginning of this thread. I did not read through all 16 pages of this thread, so I don't know if that info is posted. But if it is, it should be on the first page. More importantly it should be posted at the Main parking lot, and the other parking lots, for the majority of people who don't check this website. It should also be posted at the connectors, like Blue/green, Blue/Orange, etc.

I still don't know which days are which. With 7 days in a week, do the trails ride the same direction 2 days in a row?


I have always thought it was clearly marked. There are signs everywhere. However, you aren’t alone because I have encountered wrong way riders as well.

Yes, there are back to back days... Sunday and Monday I believe are the days that are the same direction. Alas, you will stills have to do all of green lake, as after completing big kame, you must go in the same direction and finish green lake
Hail2Victors
 
Posts: 4
Joined: June 7th, 2017, 2:12 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron