New Forum -- Read this first

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Coop » March 31st, 2004, 1:28 pm

When I first checked out the MMBA site last year I was dissapointed that I couldn't get up-to-date info on the trails.

I think this new thread idea is great. The Trail Guide (everyone check it out - it's on the border above) is WAY more than I expected. It has a great layout with everything you ever wanted to know. You get the trail condition, prices, weather, recent news (blowdowns etc), a description, and a link to a map on mapquest.
I just noticed it today since I usually go straight to the forums. Take a look around the main site if you haven't recently. It's MMBA time and money well spent - in my opinion.
Coop

suggestion

Postby WICCMB » April 4th, 2004, 6:57 am

Todd,

a couple of us were talking yesterday during the trailbuilding class that it would be nice to have multiple trail condition listings for some trails. Specifically we were talking about Holdridge - where the East Loop (Gruber's Grinder) is currently dry and very ridable, but the low-lying West and North loops are still wet and should be avoided.

Obviously this wouldn't be necessary or desireable for all parks, but for a few select ones, this could be a good additional feauture. What do you think? Additional trail conditions could be added on a case-by-case basis where deemed necessary.
WICCMB
Administrator

Re: suggestion

Postby dirt » April 4th, 2004, 7:18 am

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:Todd,

a couple of us were talking yesterday during the trailbuilding class that it would be nice to have multiple trail condition listings for some trails. Specifically we were talking about Holdridge - where the East Loop (Gruber's Grinder) is currently dry and very ridable, but the low-lying West and North loops are still wet and should be avoided.

What we've been doing for Stony is to make the trail is open, but in the notes, mention that some sections (like the pines @ stony) aren't ridable right now.
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby CM » April 16th, 2004, 9:21 am

Hey Todd, I found a potentially useful site to track the progress of thaw conditions around the state:
http://www.agweather.geo.msu.edu/mawn/
If you click on the station of interest on the map, then select daily data, it will give soil temps for each day. Not coincidentally, the maximum soil temperature on the last weekend of March was around 50. That seems to be the date when most of the trails were ready to ride. Yeah, I know, a litte late now, but next year.....
CM

Re: suggestion

Postby Todd Scott » April 16th, 2004, 10:11 am

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:Todd,

Obviously this wouldn't be necessary or desireable for all parks, but for a few select ones, this could be a good additional feauture. What do you think? Additional trail conditions could be added on a case-by-case basis where deemed necessary.

[I apologise for not seeing and responding to this post when it was made.]

Having multiple conditions per trail would require significant database changes. I'd have to split the conditions information from the trail information and then tie them together. It'd be more work for trail coordinators too.

A much easier solution is to have two trail listings. I think that fits Holdridge well since the west trails are much different than Grubers both in terms of conditions and trail type.
Todd Scott

Postby Todd Scott » April 16th, 2004, 10:13 am

CM wrote:Hey Todd, I found a potentially useful site to track the progress of thaw conditions around the state:
http://www.agweather.geo.msu.edu/mawn/
If you click on the station of interest on the map, then select daily data, it will give soil temps for each day. Not coincidentally, the maximum soil temperature on the last weekend of March was around 50. That seems to be the date when most of the trails were ready to ride. Yeah, I know, a litte late now, but next year.....

Interesting, though I wish they had more coverage in SE and north-central Michigan.
Todd Scott

Postby Mr_T » April 30th, 2004, 1:49 pm

Todd, although this type of forum is a great and needed new feature to the MMBA site...I think you'd agree it's pretty cumbersome. And it will only continue to become moreso in the future, as threads get longer.

One thing, the only thing, that I've always liked better about the OMBA's website/forum than the MMBA's is their trail conditions tool:
http://www.joinomba.org/trailconditions.shtml You mught want to consider something more along these lines. I think it's good b/c it only keeps the most recent conditions posting and you could easily allow reports for seperate sections of trails, as was earlier requested. Anyways, just something to consider. Keep up the good work.
Mr_T

Postby Todd Scott » April 30th, 2004, 4:48 pm

Mike:

I expect most folks to access these forum via our Trail Guide. Just click on "Trail Guide" on the top menu and select a trail. The three more current forum posts are displayed and you can add a post from there as well.

This forum may become hidden in the future and only accessible via the Trail Guide.
Todd Scott

not trail conditions!

Postby WICCMB » June 21st, 2004, 3:56 pm

I'd like to remind everyone that "Trail conditions and comments" are for trail conditions.....not for lost & found or ride announcements! :?
WICCMB
Administrator

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions