MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby c0nsumer » April 9th, 2019, 5:37 am

This is good stuff. I was there on Sunday and while the construction right by the kiosk looks a little off, the single track into ILRA from the JCP lot is still very accessible.

Even coming from the east side it's a lot faster (and easier) for me to drive and park at JCP instead of driving all the way into the main parking area.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby fsr1 » April 9th, 2019, 5:45 am

c0nsumer wrote:This is good stuff. I was there on Sunday and while the construction right by the kiosk looks a little off, the single track into ILRA from the JCP lot is still very accessible.

Even coming from the east side it's a lot faster (and easier) for me to drive and park at JCP instead of driving all the way into the main parking area.

Cool! I've been on vacation and haven't been over there yet to take a look.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby c0nsumer » April 9th, 2019, 6:01 am

Basically, there's a construction barrier right at the kiosk, but about 3' you can ride around it on the right to access the single track. Behind the barrier and to the left is a wide packed gravel path that looks prepped for asphalt. I didn't confirm, but it looks to connect to near the railroad track crossing for the MTB route, and I saw a handful of not-traditional-MTB folks riding on this. All said, I think it'll make for a good road bike route in from the JCP lot to the ILRA roadway, connecting nicely to near a toilet building. So it'll really build out the JCP lot into a full-on additional cycling -- and hiking -- parking area. Very good stuff, nicely in line with the ideal of parks allowing people to enter from multiple ways as they see fit.

One thing to keep an eye out for, at the base of the downhill usually used to enter The Bandlands the new sand has encroached on the single track. It's wonky and loose to ride and will need some tuning up once the construction is done. Might even be worth reconsidering this entire downhill. The S turns are neat, but they just get tighter and tighter and end in sand. Something off to the right instead could make for a cleaner/smoother/more sustainable shot into the straight section afterward.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby fsr1 » April 9th, 2019, 6:07 am

Yeah, we will have to react to some changes as things progress. I hope people don't take a "Sky is falling" attitude, but I suspect that too will come.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby c0nsumer » April 9th, 2019, 6:38 am

I think the change along the Badlands affects... 50' of trail? At most? I sure hope they don't either...
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby liamsdad » April 11th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Its more that it is unexpected first time through and needed to quickly switch gears to navigate that "sand". Otherwise the trail is in great shape. Corners are getting nice and cleared out of leaves.
liamsdad

Postby Amsone » April 20th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Guys. Any idea on how the trail will be tomorrow morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't think...Try all!
Amsone

Postby mrbikester » April 23rd, 2019, 7:58 am

Rode trails yesterday( Earth Day) and it was perfect. Finally some consistent summer conditions. What better way to spend Earth Day than to spend it doing what you like on the Earth!
mrbikester

Postby DynoDon » May 5th, 2019, 8:08 am

Blue, and Yellow had a few wet spots, nothing bad, very rideable, the two way section of Blue/Yellow had a lake, lake Blue/Yellow it wasn't mud just water, I rode thru it slow without getting my feet wet, but its long.
Thats got to be one of the best Demo Days anywhere, a little bit of everything. A guy followed me into the Demo area asking if I was going to turn in my 2018 Specialized Expert Tequila Sunrise bike,, LOL I'll take that as a compliment.. I checked out the new Specalized Roubaix, that suspension system is cool, but I think I'll keep my Specalized Sequoia, I put a Red/Shift suspension Stem, and a cheap suspension seat post on it (waiting for the Red/Shift suspension seat post), my Sequoia may be heavier, but it'll take a much bigger tire, and its a great gravel/training bike. Oh and it has a Cromolly frame. Demo Days was packed, and they were catching HUGE Brown trout on Spring Mill Pond, I didn't see any of the Rainbow Trout caught.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby b_b » May 11th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Trails are great except 2-way by bridge is still soaked, so just ride Green.
b_b

Postby mrbikester » May 21st, 2019, 7:29 pm

Rode the Green ( B&Y) today and it was in great shape. A few slight muddy spots but hardly worth mentioning. Very enjoyable!
mrbikester

Postby WICCMB » May 28th, 2019, 10:18 am

Island Lake will be one of the trails used this coming weekend for the Milford Bike Fest and Trail Challenge event. This is not a race, but a fun family-friendly event. Come on out and enjoy this and the other great trails in the area!

For more information, click here:
https://runsignup.com/Race/MI/Milford/BikeFest
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Ifitzell » May 31st, 2019, 10:31 pm

trails are muddy in spots and there is a downed tree on the blue loop between the 6.5 and 7 mile marker from the trailhead.

Ifitzell

Postby Mucky » June 2nd, 2019, 9:19 pm

Trail was pretty bad today. Lots of mud and greasy spots. Only rode from JCP and Yellow. There was a huge tree down @ around 6.5 mi. We came from JCP and it was just after the 1st little climb after the RR tracks
Mucky

Postby fizgig » June 24th, 2019, 6:30 am

Trail was in great shape yesterday, still some water on the 2 way section but if you do blue-yellow or yellow-blue you can skip it.

Funny story, I couldn't get any speed going about halfway through yellow, I thought I was getting tired or something, had to climb every hill with like zero momentum, started getting passed. Get to the parking lot and my tire sounds funny on the pavement, look down, it's almost completely flat. Good news is I got a good work out in and the rim isn't bent.
aka Whitey
fizgig

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions