Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby TenSpeed » July 20th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Few trees down from the storm last night I am guessing. Main one is on red, as you cross the road, not too far in. Needs to be cut, cannot be moved. Trail was really nice today, the rain helped out a lot with how dusty and sandy it was earlier on in June.
TenSpeed

Postby Flyer 130 » July 20th, 2012, 9:10 pm

Rode Green today Tree down just after marker 5 on the switch back going to need a chain saw trail is great shape after the rains and will be better after Trail Day tomorrow.
Flyer 130

Postby brokenbones » July 22nd, 2012, 8:23 pm

Nice job on the sand pit repair near the boat launch (Green). That's been a trouble spot for quite a while. Thanks for the hard work. As mentioned, tree down at the top of the climb just before Erin's memorial, then about half a mile from there where the trail splits (to the right) a big chunk of tree fell across the last switchback before you start climbing again. It wasn't there on my first lap thru Green today - curious. Also, on Red just after the first log stack in Grannies Garden there is a tree leaning too far over to limbo under, so it will need to be cut out.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby MLKuhl » July 28th, 2012, 11:03 am

Rode green/red/green this morning, trails are in good shape, few sticks here and there but not bad. One note..a little over 3 miles(?) into green there is a part of a tree that looks like it broke and is partially blocking trail, you can ride around it but its pretty tight. Great job trail crew, these trails are a lot of fun and very well maintained!

Matt
MLKuhl

Postby vette-ss » August 10th, 2012, 7:01 am

Was wondering if anyone on that side of the state can give some insight into the conditions at the Fort. Was planning a ride there on Saturday with the wife. Even though things have been real dry, we may have had more rain (at least over here) than the trails can suck up. Don't want to make the 2 hr drive to find a muddy mess. Obviously if rain is falling, we aren't coming. But just curious if the trail is able to absorb what has come down so far.
vette-ss

Postby Static_Crash » August 10th, 2012, 8:37 pm

We rode on Thursday in the rain and the trails were fantastic. Matter of fact, the rain has made the trail better because the sand was a non-factor. The trails do a good job of shedding water, but you'll probably still encounter some puddles and slick spots here and there, but nothing to prevent you from riding them. You'll have great weather tomorrow by the looks of it, so come on out.
Static_Crash

Postby Flyer 130 » August 14th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Tree down on red about 4.5 miles in. Its in a real bad spot at a bottom of a decent. I will apologize I had to add to the bandit trail. Other then that trail was fun and fast
Flyer 130

Postby Flyer 130 » August 23rd, 2012, 7:37 pm

Rode Red and green today trails where open and clear minus the tree thats down on red on the first downhill it does tend to catch alot of people off guard :lol: both trails have tended to gather alot of sand which can make for some interesting down hills. Great job on the green down by the lake
Flyer 130

Postby brokenbones » August 26th, 2012, 8:50 pm

At the risk of becoming a constant complainer on this board, WTH did the bridge stunt on Red just before the Amusement Park get chainsawed into little pieces? That was one of the signature features of Custer. It took a full season of riding there to build up my courage to try it, as well as the log stack in the Vee. Crap!!!
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby sawdustysneeze » August 27th, 2012, 9:56 am

It was a favorite of mine too, but as you might imagine, someone got seriously hurt there and it was falling apart as well.
sawdustysneeze

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 27th, 2012, 8:40 pm

sawdustysneeze wrote:It was a favorite of mine too, but as you might imagine, someone got seriously hurt there and it was falling apart as well.

Oh my. Well if one person cant do it then I guess nobody else can do it either. Well done again mmba. :roll: :x
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby reidabel » August 28th, 2012, 6:13 pm

sawdustysneeze wrote:It was a favorite of mine too, but as you might imagine, someone got seriously hurt there and it was falling apart as well.

So why not just rebuild it to be solid? And tweak anything that was making it too dangerous. Does anybody have a picture of it before it was destroyed?
reidabel

Postby AllMountin' » August 28th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Shame. That skinny exit option to the right was one of the few area features that would still pucker me up a bit. I always realized there was a penalty for failure there, but never had the pleasure of experiencing it myself.

I'd love to see something replace it, so that the Fort doesn't lose character in the end. Much like the log rides of the Holdridge Tech Loop, which I fear will soon share the same fate, it seems that truly difficult tech is something of a dying breed.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby TenSpeed » August 29th, 2012, 12:07 am

So this stunt is gone?

I really like this one, and the blind exit as you come up over the top. Damnit!!
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » August 29th, 2012, 12:05 pm

Oh, THAT'S the one?! Yeah, what was wrong with that? Surely it had been ridden literally thousands of times already. The last time I rode it, it seemed in decent shape, and the danger on the right-side exit was pretty apparent. I suppose somebody tried it and didn't realize their back tire might not follow where they wanted it to. Probably all it needed was a DANGER sign explaining the situation ...
reidabel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions