Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby irishpitbull » August 29th, 2012, 3:00 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:
sawdustysneeze wrote:It was a favorite of mine too, but as you might imagine, someone got seriously hurt there and it was falling apart as well.

Oh my. Well if one person cant do it then I guess nobody else can do it either. Well done again mmba. :roll: :x



Its a reoccurring theme.
irishpitbull
 
Posts: 649
Joined: August 8th, 2011, 1:16 pm
Location: Plymouth, MI

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby c0nsumer » August 29th, 2012, 3:05 pm

irishpitbull wrote:
G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:
sawdustysneeze wrote:It was a favorite of mine too, but as you might imagine, someone got seriously hurt there and it was falling apart as well.

Oh my. Well if one person cant do it then I guess nobody else can do it either. Well done again mmba. :roll: :x



Its a reoccurring theme.


Who was it who removed that stunt? Might not be a bad idea to figure that out before assigning fault / blame. If it was decaying it could have been the land owner as well, and if it truly was falling apart and wasn't safe, then laying in pieces might be best until a replacement can be build.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7622
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby 1Trax » August 29th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Seemed to be in good shape a few days before it was removed, although I didn't stop to inspect it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
1Trax
 
Posts: 11
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby vette-ss » August 29th, 2012, 3:36 pm

If that is the "over easy", there was a discussion about it on their facebook page. See July 31 posting.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SWMMBA
vette-ss
 
Posts: 145
Joined: March 2nd, 2009, 10:22 am
Location: Howell, MI

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby irishpitbull » August 29th, 2012, 3:38 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
irishpitbull wrote:
G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:
sawdustysneeze wrote:It was a favorite of mine too, but as you might imagine, someone got seriously hurt there and it was falling apart as well.

Oh my. Well if one person cant do it then I guess nobody else can do it either. Well done again mmba. :roll: :x



Its a reoccurring theme.


Who was it who removed that stunt? Might not be a bad idea to figure that out before assigning fault / blame. If it was decaying it could have been the land owner as well, and if it truly was falling apart and wasn't safe, then laying in pieces might be best until a replacement can be build.



Even if you are correct, why not rebuild it? Could have been rebuilt safer and more robust.
irishpitbull
 
Posts: 649
Joined: August 8th, 2011, 1:16 pm
Location: Plymouth, MI

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby c0nsumer » August 29th, 2012, 3:46 pm

irishpitbull wrote:Even if you are correct, why not rebuild it? Could have been rebuilt safer and more robust.


Playing devil's advocate, how do you that it won't be rebuilt?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7622
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby c0nsumer » August 29th, 2012, 3:47 pm

vette-ss wrote:If that is the "over easy", there was a discussion about it on their facebook page. See July 31 posting.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SWMMBA


Reading this thread it sounds like the SWMMBA (or, specifically, the TCs for the trail) took it down, not the MMBA nor the DNR.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7622
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby pfox90 » August 29th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Well hopefully it gets rebuilt. I can't see them taking it down based on difficulty, I am a hack at riding A frames and rode it.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
User avatar
pfox90
 
Posts: 698
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby reidabel » August 29th, 2012, 5:26 pm

If it was the TC's, we'll probably get an explanation here soon. Let's hope there was a good reason to take it down and that they are planning on rebuilding it even better. That said, how rotted-out were the base logs? Maybe it's not as good of an idea to build on them now as it was when that stunt was first made. Look at how rotten the base log for the big teeter-totter at Burchfield was when it was removed - there's no way anything should be built on those logs again. I guess stunts have a shelf life ...
User avatar
reidabel
 
Posts: 508
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 10:02 pm
Location: Lansing

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby pfox90 » August 29th, 2012, 5:36 pm

It didn't seem bad at all compared to the structure of some of the stuff at Burch like Hansons or the bridges at Dragonball. I even looked it over to see if I would ride it in the first place.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
User avatar
pfox90
 
Posts: 698
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby F7Cannon » August 29th, 2012, 8:40 pm

pfox90 wrote:It didn't seem bad at all compared to the structure of some of the stuff at Burch like Hansons or the bridges at Dragonball. I even looked it over to see if I would ride it in the first place.


So are you volunteering to take the lead on rebuilding the older bridges on Dragonball or the stunts on Hansons??
F7Cannon
 
Posts: 565
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 7:13 pm
Location: Mason

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby TenSpeed » August 29th, 2012, 9:19 pm

This thread is for conditions at Ft. Custer, not at Burchfield. It should be kept on topic.
User avatar
TenSpeed
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: September 15th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Mid-State

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby F7Cannon » August 29th, 2012, 9:36 pm

TenSpeed wrote:This thread is for conditions at Ft. Custer, not at Burchfield. It should be kept on topic.


Yup, you are 100% correct. It should have been.
F7Cannon
 
Posts: 565
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 7:13 pm
Location: Mason

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby reidabel » August 30th, 2012, 11:14 am

Okay, I read the Facebook thread. So unfortunate that this guy was hurt. I got the impression that he may have missed the exit on the straight up-and-over, not that he tried the tricky right-hand-side exit. Does anybody know for sure? It sounds like he landed on his head, which would be more consistent with a front wheel dropping down than a back wheel dropping down.

One time when I came up over the top, the exit was a bit more to the left than I expected. Perhaps that's what happened here, he just missed it and nosedived. I'm just speculating, but maybe the problem was the alignment of the exit (which you couldn't see on the approach) with the entrance?
User avatar
reidabel
 
Posts: 508
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 10:02 pm
Location: Lansing

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby AJG » August 30th, 2012, 11:46 pm

The trail coordinator and president of the chapter made the decision to remove the over easy. In all fairness, the land manager would have destroyed it if they wouldn't have. I have no clue if it will be replaced.

For anyone that's interested, the guy that got seriously hurt landed on his neck. He bruised his spinal cord but didn't break anything. He's looking at a very long rehab.

In other related news, I was told by the president that the reroute around the downed tree before the first brick climb in Grannies Garden is permanent.

Trails were in good shape the past couple of days. Sandy in the usual areas but still riding well.
User avatar
AJG
 
Posts: 160
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:51 pm
Location: Kalamazoo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests