Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby clydeone » March 25th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Rode today between ~10 and 12 trail was frozen - temp was right at 32
Rode all of the green - some sections of snow and ice especially in the pines
only mud I found was in sniper's reroute and it was just the section near the lake

about ~15% of the the trail was snow and ice the rest was either dry or frozen

I did portions of the red and found similar conditions
2013 Trails - Brown County, Poto(Finally) Arcadia Dunes, Yankee, Custer, Andrews, TK Lawless, Bendix Woods, Rum Village, Love Creek
2013 Total Mileage - 4932
2013 Trail miles - 338 - pitiful
clydeone

Postby thud » March 28th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Doh! Forgot about Facecrack. Thanks.
thud

Postby Flyer 130 » April 4th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Took a trip on the Red for te first time this season...trail is in awsome shape for the first ride. There was only really two spots that got questionable. The first drop into Granny's Garden at the bottom just past last years new tree feature complete MUD!!! The rest of the Garden was in summertime shape. The only other spot was after DOA on to marker 8 into Sleepy Holler there was about three inches of mud in the trail we just rode to the side and avoided the Holler just in case. Not sure about the new feture just before No Fear but the skinny coming out of Crazy Beaver was fun!!
Flyer 130

Postby Ed » April 25th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Looks like the rain might be done for a few days. Any thoughts on the trail being rideable by Saturday? I am thinking about taking a weekend camping trip here.
Ed

Postby detroitjohnny » April 25th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Curious about the same. I'll be in Kalamazoo this weekend gisiting family and was planning on riding custer on sunday.
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby Static_Crash » April 25th, 2013, 7:15 pm

By the time Saturday rolls around the Red loop should be just fine, but the Green loop may still have a few muddy spots in the low areas near the water. Heads up though, we have a trail day scheduled for Saturday morning starting round 8:00 and finishing up around noon or 1:00.
Static_Crash

Postby wizarddaw » April 26th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Rode the blue, red and a small part of the green this afternoon and only came across one really wet spot. The rest was a lot of fun except for the people preriding the stampede route which has some of the trail going against the grain. Everyone was careful but kind of caught me off guard a little.
Go ride it though, custer is a great place.

Dave
Battle Creek, Michigan
Step up, or step aside!
Humpty Dumpty was Pushed !!
wizarddaw

Postby AllMountin' » April 28th, 2013, 8:27 pm

Near perfect out there. In fact, I'm thinking of making an 'only ride Custer after a light rain' rule. Both my last two trips out here have been after some precip, and both have been sublime.

Something about this place gives me that rare 'I could mash forever' feeling. Awesome job, Custer trail crew!
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Hman111 » April 29th, 2013, 11:22 pm

Rode the green and red loops tonight. Only my second time at FC. The trail was in great shape. Good traction and fast alot of fun. Thanks to all that cleared the down trees and debris from the recent weather. The trail looks to be in great shape for this weekends race.
Hman111

Postby reidabel » May 4th, 2013, 6:01 pm

Wow - what an ordeal! Glad to hear you're okay ...
reidabel

Postby Static_Crash » June 4th, 2013, 4:52 pm

FYI - WATER SOURCE SHUT OFF AT TRAILHEAD

Per the DNR: Actually, water quality was not bad, all tests came back clear and clean. We lost a pressure switch over Memorial Day weekend and took precautions for the safety of our guests. During repairs, we found the pump was failing so we replaced it on Monday. We are testing again and the system is expected to be back on by Thursday.
Static_Crash

Postby xcrdr » June 14th, 2013, 12:01 am

First off the trail was in great shape tonight with only a few puddles. Thank you trail crew! Second, does anyone know Fred that drives a green Element? Rode with him tonight and had a great time. Didn't get to say goodbye. Cool guy and fit our group well!
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fuse Expert :D

2017 Goal: Ride some
2018 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby deezler » July 7th, 2013, 10:37 am

Why does no one ever update the conditions for this trail? because it's perfect all the time?

Well that is exactly what I found anyway, on my first time out here yesterday morning. What a blast! The red trail is like a 9 mile roller coaster. So fun. Green trail afterwards was quite a bit more mellow, but still very fun.

Seems like a very well thought out and sustainable trail routing, too. All the bigger climbs have grade reversals and rock armoring where needed (thank you!). Couple of sand pits to watch out for, but generally a very hard and dry trail bed.
deezler

Postby wizarddaw » September 13th, 2013, 8:15 pm

I did the red loop, some of the green and some of the blue. I thought they were great with some sand on the red and green. The blue had some sandy spots that were pretty bad. What a great job the folks do out there and those trails are a hoot.

Dave
Battle Creek, Michigan
Step up, or step aside!
Humpty Dumpty was Pushed !!
wizarddaw

Postby Static_Crash » February 7th, 2014, 10:39 pm

Groomed section was mostly ridable today except for the open field sections. Of course it didn't take long for all of the trail users to make use of the freshly groomed trail. Overall the sections through the wooded areas were real nice so we'll look to do more singletrack before the snow melts in May :D

Heads up for this weekend though:

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/proa ... stricted=1

AUGUSTA ? Team Hartwell Sports and the Kalamazoo Husky Club will host a class this weekend for anyone interested in learning the ropes of dog-sledding.
Mushing 101 will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Fort Custer Recreation Area campground, 5163 Fort Custer Drive.
Static_Crash

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions