Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby suydam » September 29th, 2004, 9:28 am

I rode some red/green/blue last night:

Red through Table Top: the rain helped a bit with packing down the sand. It's still sandier this year than I can ever remember. Darn weather.

I started Amusement Park and there were LOTS of gunshots near by. Not just a few, and not far off in the distance. Lots of hootin'-and-hollerin' too, so I decided to go back out of the Amusement Park backwards and ride the Green and Blue loops instead. No more gunshots. Please be careful if you're out there.

If you see a guy in a cheap-ass orange vest from KMart that'll be me, starting tonight.
What tires should I run for Iceman?
suydam

Postby Honolua » October 4th, 2004, 8:07 pm

Is this trail always full of sand, or is it just recently when I decided to show up? This is a fun trail too. I wish there wasn't so much of it. It would make my ride a lot more enjoyable.
My picture is scratch and sniff!!
Honolua

Postby suydam » October 5th, 2004, 6:28 am

not always, but most of this year. We had a really rainy spring and summer.. It didn't help the trail very much.
What tires should I run for Iceman?
suydam

Postby kzoo_camp » October 8th, 2004, 7:17 am

Rode red/green/red loops yesterday...although a little sandy, the trail looks great! I don't think there was a trail day recently, but I wasn't dying in sand pits at all! Good time to ride at the Fort...
kzoo_camp

Trail Condition

Postby Paperboy326 » December 10th, 2004, 1:34 pm

Has anyone riden at the Fort lately, what are the conditions like, is the green underwater in some parts?

Scott
Paperboy326

Re: Trail Condition

Postby Mike_D » December 10th, 2004, 1:37 pm

Paperboy326 wrote:Has anyone riden at the Fort lately, what are the conditions like, is the green underwater in some parts?

Scott

I know that one spot will certainly be underwater where the creek crosses the trail :) Seriously though, I bet it is pretty wet from all of the rain we have been having lately. Probably better to hit Yankee Springs instead since the sand will drain quicker :shock:
Mike_D

New Years Day Ride?

Postby Robert_Baker » December 27th, 2004, 8:28 am

What are the conditions at the Fort? I was thinking about a New Years Day ride.
Robert_Baker

Looking For Bike Airline Bag

Postby Paperboy326 » January 17th, 2005, 10:02 am

I am going to Florida for a week and would like to take my bike, but the bike bags are a bit pricey? anyone have any suggestions?

Scott
Paperboy326

Re: Looking For Bike Airline Bag

Postby Mike_D » January 17th, 2005, 10:11 am

Paperboy326 wrote:I am going to Florida for a week and would like to take my bike, but the bike bags are a bit pricey? anyone have any suggestions?

Scott

You might find that if you post this under the "Tips & Techniques" or "General" forum with a new topic, you might get better feedback.
Mike_D

Trail Condition

Postby Paperboy326 » February 10th, 2005, 2:28 pm

Anyone been riding out to the Fort? how are the trails?

Scott
Paperboy326

Postby dpotter1 » February 10th, 2005, 3:02 pm

The trail has been very day to day. Last Saturday it was fine, Sunday it was a mess, If you are going to ride make sure the ground is frozen. Sunday we never left the first straightaway, it was that muddy and did not want to harm the trail.
dpotter1

Any New Updates..

Postby Paperboy326 » March 24th, 2005, 9:33 am

Just wondring how the trails are, the weekend looks nice.

Scott
Paperboy326

Postby MSGT » March 24th, 2005, 2:22 pm

Monday they were still lookin' pretty snowy and wet
MSGT

Do as I say, not as I did

Postby Green Giant » March 26th, 2005, 4:13 pm

Thought I might catch the trails today still frozen. 10am Saturday.

I was fooled into thinking that the trails were rideable. The first section on the red loop is in good shape, as are many other sections of the trail.

HOWEVER, I would call 50% of the trail too wet to ride. I did major hike-a-bike today in an effort to avoid pizza cutting up the trails. However, it looks like other riders, and of course the horses (since they don't do any damage of course) didn't give a rip and are tearing things up a bit.

While I was able to ride 50% of the trail without fear of damage, they honestly just are not ready yet. If it stays warm all week, and we get limited rain, I think there is a chance next weekend should be rideable.

I honestly would have rather had my hiking boots on than my bike and riding shoes.
Green Giant

anyone live near berrien spings

Postby adw911 » March 27th, 2005, 9:48 pm

hey new to the fourm i was wondering if anyone lives near berrien springs? ive heard of TK Lawless but need directions to get there, if anyone else now of any trails in the area please let me know :mrgreen: :P :) :lol: thanks
adw911

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions