Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby MSGT » March 29th, 2005, 9:12 am

Check the trail guide section
Ride Free, Live Free, Find GOD
MSGT

Postby ReidRules18 » April 5th, 2005, 4:23 pm

Went out today to Custer and rode the red and green loops. The DNR was burning out near blue just to fill ya in. The trails were in excellent shape, with no mud or ice anywhere. Just fast packed dirt. Saw a lot of riders out today too 4/5/05. There are a few trees down on red at the trenches not far from the trailhead along with one at Crazy Beaver Loop. Some horses had made some brutal holes at the switchback climb on Green. Thats bout it. Trails seem fine now, but with rain in the forecast the next couple days things could change.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Markin Glen Park?

Postby Paperboy326 » April 6th, 2005, 12:57 pm

Has anyone rode at Markin Glen Park in kalamazoo?

Scott
Paperboy326

Postby LindaK » April 10th, 2005, 5:38 pm

I rode the Yellow and sections of the Red today. The trail was great. I really like the additional gravel added to the Amusement park.

However, at the trailhead the DNR announced that they may be burning April 11-April 15. If they do burn, the red, yellow and green trails may be closed. The only trail that would not be closed would be the blue trail around Jackson Hole and Whitford Lake which is 3/4 extremely easy followed by a small area that is difficult.
LindaK

Lilacs on the Green Trail

Postby Dennis_Pitz » May 4th, 2005, 12:54 pm

Anyone ride the Green Trail lately? If so, are the lilacs blooming? Jill and I plan to drive down with another couple to do some riding on the trails and kayaking on Eagle Lake this Saturday if the flowers are blooming.

So, have any of you nature lovers noticed?

Dennis.
"The only thing neccessary for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing."
Dennis_Pitz

Postby Dennis_Pitz » May 9th, 2005, 6:34 am

Six of us rode the Green trail on Saturday, May 7. The trial is in sorry shape due to horse traffic.

Later, three of us rode the Red trial. It seems to be in better shape, but we met a group of 4 horses riding right down the trail in Crazy Beaver, so it probably won't be long before this system is like Hungerford was five years ago.

Too bad, as the Fort has always been on of the best systems in the state.

Dennis.
"The only thing neccessary for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing."
Dennis_Pitz

Postby greeley » May 9th, 2005, 10:05 am

Hey MTBers, I ride the red and green trails all the time so I'm familiar with the distances, however every once and a while I ride the blue trail but I have no idea of the distance. Does anybody know? I'd appreciate it.
greeley

Postby Paperboy326 » May 11th, 2005, 7:52 am

The Blue Loop is 3.65 miles.

Scott
Paperboy326

Race Route?

Postby Paperboy326 » May 11th, 2005, 12:52 pm

Can anyone give me the trail that the race used a few weekends back?

Scott
Paperboy326

Postby blamp28 » May 11th, 2005, 1:09 pm

"excepted from another post on the racing forum" We utilized the most difficult sections of the red loop and the blue loop around Whitford Lake. The red loop can be riden in its entirety from the trail head. The blue loop goes around the Jackson Hole and Whitford Lake. The first technical section that you hit during the race is hard to find because it is not there offically. It sort of magically appears just before the race and disappears the day after. Let me or a member of the southwest MMBA chapter know if you want someone to show you how to find it. We developed that section because the alternative was riding a two track.

If you are ever out the Fort Custer for a casual ride, the green loop is a lot of fun too. It starts as a two track until it intersects the red loop at the Amusment Park, then to goes into the woods for some highly enjoyable single track with two water crossings. Many local riders will ride the red loop until the Amusement Park and then ride the green loop to the parking lot.
blamp28

Postby JmZ » May 13th, 2005, 5:03 pm

Rode at the Fort Saturday (5/14/05) afternoon. Red was in pretty good shape, Green was even better shape.

Overall a great ride and not many people on the trail for a Saturday either.

JmZ
------------------
Considering a ride at the Fort this weekend.

Are conditions good enough to justify a 2 hour drive? Looks like there is some rain in the forcast, but not much has fallen this month either.

JmZ
Searching for a new sig.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it.
JmZ

Biked red, green, yellow May 8th

Postby SPARTYgirl » May 15th, 2005, 4:26 pm

All trails were in great condition and since the park was quite some deer jumped out in front of us. Great weather and riding.
spartygirl
SPARTYgirl

Postby ReidRules18 » May 20th, 2005, 2:44 pm

Rode Custer today, 5/20. I did the red and green loops. On red there is a tree down in the trenches not far at all from the trailhead, within a quarter mile. There is also a large tree down on red when you come out of the amusment park and head down the pennisula on that two-track. Some people have already started making a way around it. Ran into some people on horses on green. On horse was so skiddish that I was there. And yes, I stopped 50 feet before the horses and actually got off my bike to allow them to pass. The horse was scared of wheeled vechiles it jumped when I pushed my bike 6 inches while off of it. Thats safe, a horse on a bike trail thats scared of wheeled objects? Eh, they have the right to ride there too so its gonna have to be all gravy. And thats the report.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby technic » May 21st, 2005, 2:37 pm

Rode the red loop today, ran into two very skittish horses whos owners informed me that we needed to "slow down", even though we gave them a wide birth... The loop was generally in excellent condition, with a light smokey smell because of the prescribed burning.
technic

Postby blamp28 » May 31st, 2005, 8:02 am

Spent the Memorial Day weekend at the Fort and rode all the trails. Conditions could not be much better. The first water crossing on the green loop is a little deceiving though. The is a hole under the mat. You think your going over the dry area and SPLASH. Lots of fun though. It has been at least two two years since I've gone through Granny's Garden and was I missing something! What a blast!
blamp28

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions