Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Were you riding "The Fort" on Sunday 5th June at 4

Postby Limey » June 7th, 2005, 11:41 pm

This is a request for information on behalf of a friend.

Were you riding "The Fort" on Sunday 5th June around 4 or 5 PM ? If so did you call for medical help for a guy on the Red loop and stay with him until help arrived....?

My Friend is the Guy you helped. He is currently in Hospital in K'zoo and would like to express his gratitude to who ever helped him - without you he could be in very bad shape indeed. He broke 4 ribs, punctured a lung and knocked himself out. He remembers nothing of the accident or the rescue, other than the fact he was on the red loop and started riding sometime around 3PM.

Thank you for helping. This guy got me into the Sport and is like a father to me. I feel very lucky to have him as a friend.

If you know anything of the accident please reply, or PM me.

Thank You .........Limey
.....*beep* Cheeky Brit..... :shock:

Team Trails-Edge.com http://www.trails-edge.com
Limey

Postby Clydesdale007 » June 24th, 2005, 7:52 am

Sandy, sandy, sandy. I am not sure if this is a bi-product of recent rains but much of this trail is laiden with deep sand at the bottom of most desents and many climbs are littered with sand also as of June 19.
"You mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Clydesdale007

Postby blamp28 » July 5th, 2005, 12:24 am

Rode all weekend. A bit more sand than I remember and some of the drops are washed out a bit. I still think we need a sign at the West most portion of the yellow loop where it meets the campground. This weekend, we camped near that spot and numerous uninformed campers went up the trail the wrong way. This is a nice downhill run when done in the right direction and this spot is ripe for a bad wreck - especially on a busy weekend.
blamp28

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » July 6th, 2005, 5:28 am

Blamp,
You are right. I was there on Friday Night and ran head on into some dudes on BMX bikes with no helmets. It was obvious they were new to any kind of bike trails. thankfully, the one adult was in front and yelled back to his kids that we were coming through and to watch out.
The Motion Initiative
Believers On Mountain Bikes, International
-Our love must be genuine. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)
2WheeledWarrior

Postby kzoo_camp » July 28th, 2005, 2:30 pm

A little slick/muddy in places where rainfall collected. If you're riding the red (or yellow) BEWARE of the FREEWAY section. There is a 10-inch diameter tree that has partially fallen around a corner that comes up fast. You could easily get clotheslined on it if you're going fast through that section. I tried to move it but am not strong enough...must lift more weights this winter :lol:!
kzoo_camp

Postby ReidRules18 » July 29th, 2005, 11:13 pm

I rode the red and green loop today 7/29 and only had one slight problem. There was a tree knocked down on the green loop as soon as you hit the single track and started up the switchback climbs right near the creek or stream. Had to hike the bike past the obstruction. After not riding the Fort for over three months, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face when I got done with my ride. I love that trail!
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

green loop sandy!

Postby nordic45 » August 10th, 2005, 6:57 pm

the green loop is getting a bit sandy now. it rained last night, so it may be getting better, but man, dust in the eyes for sure! its still a rad ride though, great conditions other than that!
dirt and snow are my 2nd and 3rd favorite things. not necessarily in that order.
nordic45

Postby SlowPoke » August 13th, 2005, 10:21 pm

Do any of you have maps I could get on line? I want to plan out a ride for a group and could use a topo map with trails to do this.
SlowPoke

Postby tclay » August 13th, 2005, 10:44 pm

When are you planning on going? There's a map on the trail guide section that shows the trails. I live close by and could show the group around if I'm free that day/time if you'd prefer.
tclay

Postby SlowPoke » August 14th, 2005, 9:25 am

We are riding some time today. Our group is full of New Bs and kids, so you may not want to join us, but you are welcome.

My cell phone number is posted on my web site if you want to call.

Thanks for the map link. I looked past it. :oops:
Doug S.
http://www.clearsys.net
SlowPoke

Postby tclay » August 14th, 2005, 3:28 pm

Ahh, I just got back from doing Yankee for the first time so probably too late, musta checked for any posts 5 mins before you posted because I left around 10:30. Hope you had fun anyway, the trail is pretty well marked and numbered so with a map should be able to find your way.
tclay

Postby novas » September 6th, 2005, 7:22 am

rode the red and blue loops yesterday 9/5 .... lots of sand, especially on the climbs. sandy sandy sandy. the place needs some rain! :)
when life hands you lemons
ask for tequila and salt.
novas

Postby tclay » September 11th, 2005, 3:38 pm

Still sandy but there's a tree down on Cardiac now, big, whole thing fell over sometime between Friday night and Sunday afternoon. There's a hornets nest down on the left side of the trail too so if you go around it I'd recommend picking through the right side.
tclay

Cardiac Climb Broken by fallen tree and hornet's nest

Postby bikehappy » September 11th, 2005, 3:41 pm

I rode the red, green, and yellow trails today. A freshly fallen tree blocks cardiac climb about 1/2 way up. When you walk around the tree, be careful of the hornet's nest in the ground next to the fallen tree.

(I love the signage. The best trial markings I have ever seen.)

--BikeHappy
BikeHappy
bikehappy

Postby pinevalley » September 11th, 2005, 3:58 pm

As is most of West Michigan right now, the trails are way too dry. Need some rain badly. Has anyone done the blue loop? I always forget to try it out.
pinevalley

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions