Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby kuhljord » June 20th, 2012, 10:20 am

The rain two days ago did some good out there, but it is still pretty sandy. There is also a tree down right at the exit to Crazy Beaver.
kuhljord

Postby thud » June 22nd, 2012, 2:55 pm

Tree down in the Amusement Park along the second of the 4 small hills before the Demon Drop.
thud

Postby monkeyevil » June 22nd, 2012, 11:42 pm

Not sure how long it's been this way, but the log feature just before red descends, crosses the two track and goes into Amusement Park no longer has the skinny option to the right. The log is broken up and very sketchy at this point. Up and over is still fine.
monkeyevil

Postby Static_Crash » June 23rd, 2012, 3:11 pm

thud wrote:Tree down in the Amusement Park along the second of the 4 small hills before the Demon Drop.

Thanks. Took care of that one today and it's all clear now.

kuhljord wrote:The rain two days ago did some good out there, but it is still pretty sandy. There is also a tree down right at the exit to Crazy Beaver.

Someone beat me to it and it's clear now. Thanks for the heads up.
Static_Crash

Postby namdoogttam » June 25th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Yankee Springs or Fort Custer!? I'll be visiting South Haven from out of town (Minnesota) next week and I'm looking for some local advice. Can anyone characterize for me the difference between the two trails (Yank vs. Custer). How do the two trails compare? I gather that I'm lookin' at a sandy ride, either way.

Any other recommended trails within a reasonable drive?

Thanks in advance...
namdoogttam

Postby Static_Crash » June 26th, 2012, 6:07 pm

namdoogttam wrote:Yankee Springs or Fort Custer!? I'll be visiting South Haven from out of town (Minnesota) next week and I'm looking for some local advice. Can anyone characterize for me the difference between the two trails (Yank vs. Custer). How do the two trails compare? I gather that I'm lookin' at a sandy ride, either way.

Yankee is about a 13 mile loop give or take, and offers a great ride and a good workout.

Fort Custer offers 3 loops and is my favorite of the two and IMO offers more of a fun factor. The Red Loop @ 9 miles & The Green Loop @ 8 miles are the main MTB trails, and the Blue loop is a multi-use trail and the easiest of the three. A fun route to do is a Red to Green. Start by taking the Red Loop until you reach the No Fear Chute and The Table Top (12) - Reese Road. Take a sharp right down Reese Rd. (Fire Trail) and you'll hit the Green Loop, which will take you around Eagle Lake and back to the trailhead. Jump on Red again at the trailhead, but this time just go straight over Reese Rd. and into the Amusement Park and finish out Red back to the trailhead.

You've got some options, but Luton Park for a couple of laps is a lot of fun.
http://wmmba.org/index.php/trails/luton-park/
Static_Crash

Postby pfox90 » June 26th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Looking forward to hitting this for the first time tmrw with a friend.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby reidabel » June 26th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Just watch out for poison ivy, I picked up a bunch of it there a few weeks ago. I was avoiding the vegetation as much as I could, too ...
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » June 27th, 2012, 4:37 pm

A month of rain wouldn't dampen this place up. Still had a great ride even if it was dry and sandy as a beach.
TenSpeed

Postby pfox90 » June 27th, 2012, 6:30 pm

First time riding out here, the sand was a bit disheartening, but none the less still a bad ass trail.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby monkeyevil » June 28th, 2012, 7:44 am

namdoogttam wrote:Yankee Springs or Fort Custer!? I'll be visiting South Haven from out of town (Minnesota) next week and I'm looking for some local advice. Can anyone characterize for me the difference between the two trails (Yank vs. Custer). How do the two trails compare? I gather that I'm lookin' at a sandy ride, either way.

Thanks in advance...

Yankee springs has more climbing, more sand, and more technical descents. Custer is faster with more features. You'll have a great time with either. Pick the one that is the easiest to drive to.
monkeyevil

Postby risnewski » July 9th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Just spent my annual weekend with the grandkids at the Fort. Red and Green are in great shape but extra dusty and sandy. Bonus: no bugs. Re-routes are wearing in nicely, but there's a few places that I think may erode very quickly once the rain returns, especially in the new section of Green just beyond the trail head.

As always, kudos the the folks who keep it all together.
risnewski

Postby Static_Crash » July 18th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Heads up - Trail Day on Saturday will be focusing on the Green Trail, primarily along the shoreline of Eagle Lake. We will be building an elevated "bridge" on the washout just before the boat launch on the Green Loop. The project will include building the bridge, hardening the trail at both ends of the bridge, and adding a rough seawall in the two washouts. We will be removing about 4" of sand from the trail and replacing with gravel.
Static_Crash

Postby monkeyevil » July 20th, 2012, 7:47 am

What time will you be heading out? Expect to still be doing work after lunch on sat? I'm busy in the AM, but would still like to help.
monkeyevil

Postby Static_Crash » July 20th, 2012, 11:57 am

We'll start around 8:00 am, and we're usually wrapping things up by 1:00. A lot depends on how smooth it goes in the morning and how often we jump in the lake. I may just bring a raft and a cold one and supervise from the lake. :D
Static_Crash

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions