Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby dirtjunkie » March 22nd, 2013, 8:18 am

SAVO wrote:I'm looking to hit Yank on Saturday and am looking for some input on trail-conditions w this recent snowfall and the slightly warmer temperature slated for this weekend; will they be conducive for riding and not making ruts out there? I know Yankee is good for absorbing water being there is much sand in the area but I'd like to get some thoughts in case it's a wasted trip. I ride 26 inch mountainkings if that's of any help.

Any input is appreciated. Peace::

I live 2 miles away....

We got hit with some snow for the last 3 days. The wind has helped "burn" quite a bit of it off...but safe to say that due to the canopy that hangs over Yankee, it's very much snow covered, although it isn't crazy deep.

There have been a number of Fatty's packin' down the trail....so if you hit it early, like before 10 a.m., you'll have the best possible conditions for your 26'r.
dirtjunkie

Postby giantone » March 28th, 2013, 4:14 pm

purple helmet wrote:Anyone have an idea of how our favorite spring trail will be Saturday??

Seconded. I want to get out there as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
giantone

Postby bil » March 28th, 2013, 5:40 pm

purple helmet wrote:Anyone have an idea of how our favorite spring trail will be Saturday??

I want to know also
bil

Postby SAVO » April 3rd, 2013, 4:06 pm

Anyone know about a trail day happening at Yank this Saturday? If so what time?
Thanks!
SAVO

Postby giantone » April 3rd, 2013, 6:53 pm

SAVO wrote:Anyone know about a trail day happening at Yank this Saturday? If so what time?
Thanks!

Grand Rapids Bicycle Co. on facebook wrote:Join us on Saturday at Yankee Springs Trail (WMMBA) with Jamis Bikes, Pedal Bicycles, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance (WMMBA), and Trailhead Cafe for a day of trail work and riding some sweet 650b!

giantone

Postby Doug Kyle » April 5th, 2013, 3:32 pm

I posted to the Volunteers Thread, should have also posted here.

The trail day is tomorrow, April 6th, 9:00 - 12:30, please try to show up a little early to get signed in. We go rain or shine, bring hand saws, pruners, rakes, and shovels, we probably don't have enough in the tool trailer to cover everybody.

This year we have some demo bikes too!. Thanks to Grand Rapids Bicycle Company, Jamis will be there in the afternoon with a full line up of 650b bikes and some 29ers for you to ride. Also, our friends at Trailhead Cafe will grilling dogs and burgers for the trail work volunteers.

Trailhead Cafe is providing food only for trail workers, not those that are there only for the demo bikes, so I'll be giving out "meal tickets" to each when you sign forms in the morning.
Doug Kyle

Postby Buck91 » April 13th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Awsome!
Buck91

Postby Kmayer » April 13th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Trail was perfect today! Go get it.
Kmayer

Postby Mike_D » April 16th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Conditions out there were absolutely perfect this afternoon!!!
Mike_D

Postby indianaxc » April 19th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Alot of rain the past couple days, what to expect for the TT?
indianaxc

Postby steveracer » April 26th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Anyone ride the trail after this week's rains? I am thinking about Saturday or Sunday.....
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby MLKuhl » April 26th, 2013, 7:06 pm

^ wondering same thing. Plan to ride Saturday morning, first time at this trail.
MLKuhl

Postby Cutlass454 » April 26th, 2013, 7:06 pm

steveracer wrote:Anyone ride the trail after this week's rains? I am thinking about Saturday or Sunday.....

Rode out there last night. Conditions near perfect. Thinking of maybe heading back on Sunday morning.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
Cutlass454

Postby F7Cannon » May 4th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Absolutely perfect out there today! :wink:
F7Cannon

Postby c0nsumer » June 9th, 2013, 8:02 am

I rode Yankee Springs for the first time yesterday. The trail seemed to be in good shape, but the warm-up loop (or whatever it's called -- the one which loops back to the parking area) could use a trim. It's got some serious face slappers. It was really fun, though. Once I got a feel for the trail I rather enjoyed it. I think it'd be fair to call it West Michigan's version of Pontiac Lake.

Is the Devil's Soup Bowl meant to be ridden? When I got to the intersection with the wooden post pointing right for it I saw "Devil's Soup Bowl" painted in black which matched the MTB Route decals, so I figured it was part of the trail. I went down the first descent, stopped at the plateau, didn't see any bike tracks, and figured it wasn't bike trail so I just pushed my bike back up the way I'd come and carried on the rest of the trail.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions