Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby choppe » September 16th, 2008, 9:23 pm

Rode here tonight, trail seems like it is in good shape, there are some trees down the worst one crosses the trail twice at the climb by the cement pillar thing.

There is also a new reroute at the mat climb that was a mile in or so. It is pretty soft yet needs to be ridden and packed in, it also seemed like it is tight in the turns when compared to the rest of the trail. Just an observation.
choppe

Postby ReidRules18 » October 9th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Rode Yankee Springs today Thursday October 9th. Trail was in excellent shape and it was great fall riding! I did notice after riding there for awhile that it looks like at mile marker 11 you have the option of heading straight downhill or going through the pine trees in the tight singletrack off to the right that was re-routed maybe 2 years ago. Is this straight shot now open? I was under the impression the re-route was done to avoid the sand pit however it looks like the downed branches and underbrush have been removed allowing for the rider to continue straight downhill like the old trail used to be. I haven't ridden down it since the re-route but was just curious if this was open or not?
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby Special Goodness » October 13th, 2008, 7:55 am

Rode Yankee last night. It was great. I like the new reroute in the first mile or so, just a little after the bridge. My only issue is that it is pretty tight and it follows directly after a swoopy fast section. It's a bit of an abrupt change in flow. It looks like someone added a couple small logs to help the transition, but it's still a bit harsh.
-The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your action.
-Half of all people are below average.
-President, FSU Cycling (find it on Facebook)
Special Goodness

Postby Guppie » October 13th, 2008, 9:44 am

I agree however I am very thankful we have people who take such good care of our trails. I'm sure once we are all use to it, we'll forgot about the old way.

I've always wondered why the trail starts out by the road and not across the staging area. It would make more sense to start there, then finish coming out by the outhouse.
Guppie

Postby deranged_yeti » October 14th, 2008, 8:57 am

I'm hoping to hit this trail either Thursday or Friday, or maybe both, any suggestions for a first timer? (at this trail, I'm no expert, but not a noob either)
deranged_yeti

Postby ReidRules18 » October 14th, 2008, 10:14 am

deranged_yeti wrote:I'm hoping to hit this trail either Thursday or Friday, or maybe both, any suggestions for a first timer? (at this trail, I'm no expert, but not a noob either)

Just to let you know, the trail is a riot. It has 13 miles of flow, technical, fast, climbs, and all singletrack. One of the best trails in my opinion. Its pretty easy to navigate, go to the Deep Lake Campground and park just past the ranger post to the right where the sign says ?Bike Staging.? Gear up and head out on the dirt road towards where you entered and to your left will be the start of the trail. This is a 2 mile loop and then you will end in the parking lot, go directly across the dirt road to pick up the next 11 miles. Follow the signs and each mile is numbered. From about Mile 6 to Mile 11 is my favorite part of the trail. Technical, great ridge climbs with the pines being my absolute fav.

Anyways best of luck and let?s hear how your ride went afterwards!
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby deranged_yeti » October 20th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Well I hit it up on Thursday, that trail is good fun. I am too out of shape to do the whole thing, so we took the shortcut at the 4.7 mark.

Then promptly locked my keys in my truck in the parking lot, thanks for the guys that helped me out there, a few minutes and we were back into it.
deranged_yeti

Yankee....Snow?

Postby sparky » November 21st, 2008, 3:08 pm

Anyone know how much snow is at Yankee? Planning a SUnday ride but heard the 'lake effect' is hitting it hard. North of GR there is nothing on the ground. Trying to decide if I should take hiking boots/snowshoes instead! :D

Sparky
sparky

Postby Guppie » November 21st, 2008, 3:10 pm

I've ridden out there in a fresh 4inchs so don't worry about the snow. Wear Orange. Lot's of Orange.
Guppie

Yankee - Snow??

Postby sparky » November 21st, 2008, 3:16 pm

I have enough trouble staying upright on dirt let alone snow!!!! :oops:

I hear ya bout the orange. I 'hear' though that is is well ridden even now during firearms season.....true or false? Should we go elsewhere?
sparky

Postby cipo » November 21st, 2008, 3:35 pm

No snow as of Wednesday.
cipo

Postby Guppie » November 21st, 2008, 3:46 pm

It's very well ridden now especially with the two main trails here in GR closed for the season.
Guppie

Yankee - Snow??

Postby sparky » November 22nd, 2008, 1:05 pm

Thanks much ... I appreciate the info!
sparky

Yankee Springs Trail open?

Postby andyklevorn » November 27th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Snowed in in Ludington, pondering how far south we have to go to ride off the Thanksgiving turkey feed. That trail out of Deep Lake is open?
andyklevorn

Re: Yankee Springs Trail open?

Postby mtbyker » November 27th, 2008, 5:23 pm

andyklevorn wrote:Snowed in in Ludington, pondering how far south we have to go to ride off the Thanksgiving turkey feed. That trail out of Deep Lake is open?

Rode it yesterday and the trail was 70% clear of snow. No problems at all.
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions