Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby Crash & Burn » February 13th, 2009, 6:25 pm

I walked some of the trail today, and there is still too much snow in spots to ride. IMO :^)
Crash & Burn

Postby ReidRules18 » February 22nd, 2009, 4:52 pm

[quote="Crash & Burn"]I walked some of the trail today, and there is still too much snow in spots to ride. IMO :^)[/quote]

Rode 2/20 Friday and it was probably your tracks I ended up seeing. Trail had too much snow in spots not adding for a relaxing ride. Still good to get on the bike for the first time in a couple months however! I took the shortcut at #5.5 but noticed there were quite a bit of trees and branches down. I moved two that I was able to pick up and throw to the side.
ReidRules18

Postby sworks88 » February 27th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Any ideas on the conditions after the rain that we had????
sworks88

Postby MrSingleTrack » February 28th, 2009, 9:28 am

There will still be significant snow in spots, but I'm going to go see how much I can ride today about noon.
MrSingleTrack

Postby wifevsbike_bikewins » February 28th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Ouch!!! Great day to be out on the trail! Unfortunately I didn't learn to take it easy until after about four spills on the ice in the first mile. I wouldn't let it deter me though, I completed the full loop, it was too nice out there not to have. Overall the trail was about 50% ice/snow pack. As long as you are cautious and careful on the ice, the trail was pretty good. Lots of trees and branches down as well. A majority of the small stuff has been removed that could be by hand, THANK YOU! Can't wait, my optimism is telling me another month and all I will have to deal with is the mud, yippee!
wifevsbike_bikewins

Postby Guppie » March 1st, 2009, 4:12 pm

Won't riding in the mud damage the trail?
Guppie

Postby Bigtymer » March 1st, 2009, 7:34 pm

Yep it sure will!
Bigtymer

Postby MrSingleTrack » March 2nd, 2009, 9:59 am

I did the big loop Saturday. Not much deep snow left, but a whole lot of ice from pooled up melt water that had frozen hard, and I wasn't riding studs, so I wound up walking about half of it. Still a nice day to get out. Yankee has maybe 25ft of mud in 13 miles of trail, it is always best and least "damaged" early in the year, although I don't believe bikes "damage" trails anyhow.
MrSingleTrack

Postby ReidRules18 » March 2nd, 2009, 12:19 pm

I went out the same day the last two other people posted and noticed the same things. There was a bit of ice over the trail and I was without studs. However after only about 1/2 mile in, I cut over, ducked onto the road and went for an hour long ride that way. The chances of me crashing out on that ice was too great for me! But that 1/2 mile ride really tempted me and now I can't wait for a loop out there!
ReidRules18

Postby sworks88 » March 5th, 2009, 10:44 am

By tomorrow night I should be able to do a loop?!?!?!?! I really want to get outside and ride!!!!!!!

Anybody know how the trail is as of say WEDNESDAY MARCH 4th?????
sworks88

Postby ReidRules18 » March 5th, 2009, 11:39 am

Sean I am with you, I am begging to get out and ride with this warm weather on Friday. However, with the rain for Thursday night and the warmer temperatures I don't know if the trail is going to be in rideable condition. It might be a mess of melting snow and left over rain water soaking the trail. Who knows I could be wrong, I figure I will see how the conditions look Friday morning and if not so well, I am going to either head out for a trail run or ride the roads if the trail is too sloppy for the bike.
ReidRules18

Postby sworks88 » March 5th, 2009, 12:21 pm

I don't know Ried.....Yankee is a fast drainer.......
sworks88

Postby MrSingleTrack » March 5th, 2009, 1:26 pm

There was a ton of ice on the trail still last weekend, I'm guessing it will be slop-o-la for this weekends warm up, but next weekend, an early ride before temps get up, could be perfect.
MrSingleTrack

Postby sworks88 » March 5th, 2009, 3:10 pm

I am fighting a head cold anyway.....a ride on Friday would be a bad idea I think.....
sworks88

Postby Bigtymer » March 7th, 2009, 12:30 pm

All you guys need to wait for the trail to dry out. YOU'RE RUINING THE TRAIL. The MMBA even released a book on the main page, which explains why its bad to ride on the trails when there muddy. Read below.

The recent warm weather may have melted the snow, but the sub-surface layers of soil are still partially frozen. Trails are critically sensitive to erosion damage at this time.

Please ride on pavement or gravel roads for a few more weeks, until the trails have properly thawed and dried out. A good rule of thumb is that when the earthworms begin to emerge, the ground is suitably thawed for trail activities (usually by mid-April).

Help us keep trails open to mountain biking by riding in an environmentally so
Bigtymer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions