Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby Scotty » March 23rd, 2009, 8:57 am

mtb.andy wrote:Just a side note. There were about 10 cars in the lot and I watched a DNR officer write tickets for about 7 of them when I was getting ready to ride. Make sure to pay.

Ha! I was there yesterday (3/22). I totally forgot that I didn't have a new window sticker. When I got in my truck to go home I noticed the "ticket."

Since there's no place to purchase a sticker at Yankee in March, I imagine that an awful lot of people are getting ticketed. Seems ridiculous that they have someone patroling the park looking for stickerless cars, when they could have someone at the gate selling the stickers!

I'll be happy when the proposed license plate user fee is passed. It'll be less hassle. I will miss watching the row of stickers grow each year on my windshield. I have a row on the left side for Wisconsin parks too.
Scotty

Postby SteveF » March 23rd, 2009, 9:01 am

Scotty wrote:
mtb.andy wrote:Just a side note. There were about 10 cars in the lot and I watched a DNR officer write tickets for about 7 of them when I was getting ready to ride. Make sure to pay.

Ha! I was there yesterday (3/22). I totally forgot that I didn't have a new window sticker. When I got in my truck to go home I noticed the "ticket."

Since there's no place to purchase a sticker at Yankee in March, I imagine that an awful lot of people are getting ticketed. Seems ridiculous that they have someone patroling the park looking for stickerless cars, when they could have someone at the gate selling the stickers!

I'll be happy when the proposed license plate user fee is passed. It'll be less hassle. I will miss watching the row of stickers grow each year on my windshield. I have a row on the left side for Wisconsin parks too.

They had the self-registration thing set up (with signs albeit small, hand-made ones) at the shack but that's a minor pain to deal with. I scored mine in December so no worries!
SteveF

Postby Scotty » March 23rd, 2009, 9:34 am

SteveF wrote:
They had the self-registration thing set up (with signs albeit small, hand-made ones) at the shack but that's a minor pain to deal with. I scored mine in December so no worries!

How do you self register for an annual sticker? Do the envelopes now include that option, like the tickets do? (where the State mails you your sticker)
Scotty

Postby SteveF » March 23rd, 2009, 9:43 am

Scotty wrote:
SteveF wrote:

How do you self register for an annual sticker? Do the envelopes now include that option, like the tickets do? (where the State mails you your sticker)

You put your money in the envelope with the completed form and there's a tear off that goes on your dashboard for that day--they mail your annual pass to you. So, pretty much like a ticket, yeah. I like handing my money to one of our friends in green myself and getting the sticker directly but I've used the self-registration a couple of times and it's been fine. Usually get the sticker within a week.
SteveF

Postby Special Goodness » March 24th, 2009, 6:44 am

I road the full loop yesterday. The trail was in good shape. No wet or soft spots to report, just a bit of sand. I saw several marks from people riding when the trail was still wet. It looks like someone did a lot of work with the chain saw, but then removed the uphill log pile just past C.S. 5.5. I don't understand why that would need to be removed. It had a good bypass and wasn't causing erosion or other problems. If this was done by the DNR then I can understand, but if this was done by the western chapter then they should know better. We don't like getting blamed for dumbing down the trails, but then remove a sustainable technicle feature? The real long downhill section with the switchbacks and the log pile at the bottom is in need of attention before the race. There were some grapefruit sized rocks littering some of the lines. I also noticed that some hunters are using the trail to get to their blinds. There are two or three blinds within 20 feet of the trail. Be careful out there.
Special Goodness

Postby ReidRules18 » March 24th, 2009, 7:10 am

I am pretty sure those blinds need to be removed. The only one I saw was out near the pond to your right after the 1 mile marker on the warm-up loop. It's big and teal. That thing went up sometime in I think November and has remained up since. But with deer season over with theres nothing to worry about in terms of hunters.
ReidRules18

Postby Bigtymer » March 24th, 2009, 10:06 am

Do I have to enter the race to get the t shirt and pint glass?
Bigtymer

Postby Special Goodness » March 24th, 2009, 11:33 am

Bigtymer wrote:Do I have to enter the race to get the t shirt and pint glass?
Yeah, but you don't actually have to race.
Special Goodness

Postby SunnyD » March 26th, 2009, 7:46 am

So when I look at the trail list for Yankee is says "Avoid." Now I read here that people says it's fine. What's the deal? Do I have to read the forum on each trail?
SunnyD

Postby Bigtymer » March 26th, 2009, 8:27 am

The trail is dry and ready to ride.
Bigtymer

Postby Special Goodness » March 26th, 2009, 9:40 am

SunnyD wrote:So when I look at the trail list for Yankee is says "Avoid." Now I read here that people says it's fine. What's the deal? Do I have to read the forum on each trail?
Yes. The trail conditions thing is not yet being updated by the TC's. They will have that sorted out in the near future, but many of the TC's never kept it up to date anyway. The TC's have more important things to do than keep a website up to date, like building trails. The best thing to do is read the forum, look at what the weather has been, and make a judgement call. If you get to the trail and it is soupy, go ride on the roads.
Special Goodness

Postby deuce » March 31st, 2009, 7:54 am

I rode saturday morning at 8:00. The air temp on my truck mirror read 29 deg. Other than never really being able to get warmed up the trail was in great shape. In fact, I would say that it needed the rain that we got on sunday. A few of the traditional sand pits were already starting to get really loose.
deuce

Postby SteveF » April 3rd, 2009, 7:17 am

Hoping to ride YS tomorrow--could some one local post up this evening how it handles the rain we're getting today? (and got last night!)
SteveF

Postby Special Goodness » April 3rd, 2009, 8:43 am

There wasn't that much rain last night or so far today, in Hastings. I imagine the trail will be pretty well drained by tomorrow afternoon.
Special Goodness

Postby ReidRules18 » April 3rd, 2009, 3:06 pm

Just got back from a ride today 3/4 Friday. Trail was in rideable good shape. Not that much moisture on the trail other than on the 2 mile warm-up loop after the downhill near the swamp (ride straight through it). Should be fine for tomorrow with the sun.
ReidRules18

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions