Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby kayakpete » June 29th, 2009, 10:13 am

My first trip to Yankee Springs was this past Saturday.

It kicked my butt. I should have expected it, having been riding hour-long trails and training. The 2 hours pedal time this trail took me was a little more than my body/mind wanted to give!

I thought some of the hills looked pretty washed out. Not impassable, but pretty rocky and rooty. Pretty technical!

The sand pits at hill bottoms were, shall we say, great practice for sand riding. Ugh!

It's hard for a Holland family man to commit the time required to ride this trail. I'm not sure I'll get much chance to ride it. :-(

Great trail. I look forward to the day when I can master it.
kayakpete

Postby kms662 » July 4th, 2009, 8:37 am

Anyone riden Yankee in the last day or two? Will be riding there on Sun July 5 with a noob and wondered the condition of the trails.
kms662

Postby ReidRules18 » July 8th, 2009, 8:40 pm

I brought my bike to Yankee Springs today, what was I thinking? I should have brought my beach towel and made a sandcastle.
ReidRules18

Postby wifevsbike_bikewins » July 8th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Tis the season! I was at Cannonsburg SGA tonight and much of the same. I am sure the rain towards the end of the week will help.
wifevsbike_bikewins

Postby jrshome » July 10th, 2009, 3:28 pm

I hit Yankee on my way out to South Haven this week, fun trail, the sand was crazy though. I have one question for you Yankee riders, are you supposed to ride that Devils Soup Bowl? The trails down into that thing were so washed out I could barely walk a bike down alone ride down. I got about halfway and the skeeters convinced me that it was a bad idea.... Or maybe I was trying to get in at the wrong spot. Just wondering
jrshome

Postby sworks88 » July 10th, 2009, 3:47 pm

That is a hiking trail.....down into the bowl. It is very sketchy even for hiking. Yankee is the definition of SAND!!!!
sworks88

Postby jrshome » July 10th, 2009, 8:18 pm

[quote="sworks88"]That is a hiking trail.....down into the bowl. It is very sketchy even for hiking. Yankee is the definition of SAND!!!![/quote

OK, I had seen the name before on the board and was thinking bike, then I started down it, no way that was happening......
jrshome

Postby Bigtymer » July 14th, 2009, 8:57 am

Yankee is the best trail on this side of the state. Stop complaining!!!
Bigtymer

Postby Irish57 » July 23rd, 2009, 10:50 pm

Got out to Yankee Springs and I found the trail really in good shape other than the sand ( not complaining -actually did pretty well for me) Made it out to the devils soup bowl and took the 2nd shortcut back. I should ride this trail more since it's only about a half-hour from where I work. A good trail to get in shape! All in all a nice day!
Irish57

Postby sworks88 » July 24th, 2009, 7:27 am

There is a lot of sand...but you couldnt call it Yankee without it! Choppe and I rode out there last night and the trail was in decent shape. Looks like a lot of people are still riding out there and that is good!!!!
sworks88

Postby PieterHemmo » August 7th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Fun ride and a good workout. If you struggle with sand, this it the place to get it figured out.
PieterHemmo

Postby SteveF » August 11th, 2009, 6:29 am

rode here sunday--all the rain saturday made for a pretty firm surface, at least til later in the day when some of the sand started drying out and getting deeper and looser. Lots of exposed roots and gravel (up to baseball sized stones) on climbs and descents as erosion has it's way but overall not a bad ride.

I would likely ride elswhere after a dry stretch of any length but this is a good place to go right after a rain this time of year.
SteveF

Postby Riceman » August 31st, 2009, 8:20 am

First ride at Yankee this year. I've been out there off and on for the last 14 years. I don't know if it's due to all the rain or what, but seems like there are a few spots that need some new passes. The one big one that I can think of is about 3/4th of the way through the big loop. There is a tree with roots shooting all over and hard for a small 26" bike to get over. I didn't see any path around it.

Just a suggestion.
Riceman

Postby Bigtymer » September 1st, 2009, 9:36 pm

Lift your front tire up . Those roots make yankee. Sounds like you need to mtn bike more.
Bigtymer

Postby kms662 » September 2nd, 2009, 1:28 pm

Or get a 29er...
kms662

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions