Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby Gooser » April 16th, 2010, 9:18 am

Thanks !!!
I have heard that MMBA will be out at Yankee Springs selling swag and more importantly selling MMBA jerseys.... Is there any truth to this rumor?
Gooser

Postby amcintyre » April 16th, 2010, 6:09 pm

hey im planing on heading to the west side tomarrow to ride yankee springs, will i be able to ride with the tt being this weekend? the plan is yankee on saterday and custer on sunday.
amcintyre

Postby RickPlite » April 16th, 2010, 8:29 pm

amcintyre wrote:hey im planing on heading to the west side tomarrow to ride yankee springs, will i be able to ride with the tt being this weekend? the plan is yankee on saterday and custer on sunday.

yes, it is open to ride saturday
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby mikewoods » April 17th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Yankee is in such great shape right now. I always forget how great it is. Thanks again to everyone who is responsible for maintaining this trail system. This is the certainly one of the best trails in the state.
mikewoods

Postby johnhugo71 » April 19th, 2010, 2:29 pm

so, 600 racers in one day, how beat up is the trail after the weekend?
Meathead Mountain Biker!
Cannondale Scalpel 3 29er
GT Grade Carbon 105 w/ Velocity Aileron Wheels
johnhugo71

Postby Gooser » April 19th, 2010, 4:54 pm

As one of the last groups to run it it wasn't bad at all. infact the race help to move some of the sand traps out of the way......easy way to find your line....
Gooser

Postby John_H » April 19th, 2010, 9:23 pm

I've ridden the trail same day after all racers have finished - probably 10 times out of the last 20 races. I've always been amazed at how little impact the event has on the trail itself, let alone the whole venue after everyone leaves. This is coming from someone who has been out there building and maintaining the trail since it's conception. I have taken the past few years off since starting a family though. All the volunteers out there now are doing a great job!!! I really miss working out there, but I'll be back at it soon.
John_H

Postby peterlcole » April 29th, 2010, 3:14 pm

So I'm going to ride Yankee Springs soon and was just reading the description. Just to give me an idea of what to expect, when it mentions steep hills, what are they like compared to Torn Shirt?
peterlcole

Postby alec » April 30th, 2010, 7:00 pm

The hills at Yankee might be a tad bigger than Torn Shirt, but there is a bit more rest in between climbs. I'd say riding Torn Shirt, the lost loop and Murray Lake together is perhaps just a touch harder than riding the full loop at Yankee. However, there is one climb on Yankee with a lot of roots that is very difficult. I have to hit it just right or I don't make it. There aren't any climbs on Torn Shirt that I have trouble with (other than mild panting at the top.) If you like Torn Shirt, I'm pretty confident you will like Yankee. Also, I think the descents at Yankee have a little better flow. Enjoy.
alec

Postby peterlcole » April 30th, 2010, 7:52 pm

alec wrote:The hills at Yankee might be a tad bigger than Torn Shirt, but there is a bit more rest in between climbs. I'd say riding Torn Shirt, the lost loop and Murray Lake together is perhaps just a touch harder than riding the full loop at Yankee. However, there is one climb on Yankee with a lot of roots that is very difficult. I have to hit it just right or I don't make it. There aren't any climbs on Torn Shirt that I have trouble with (other than mild panting at the top.) If you like Torn Shirt, I'm pretty confident you will like Yankee. Also, I think the descents at Yankee have a little better flow. Enjoy.

Thanks for the response, I just got back. Loved it. The climbs didn't seem quite so bad, except for the sand and roots, but my legs were a little tired/sore going into it so I ended up walking up the more steep ones. The descents were awesome and I really enjoyed the whole trail. All in all, I liked it more than Brighton.
peterlcole

Postby grmtnbkr » May 4th, 2010, 9:12 am

Conditions update anyone?
grmtnbkr

Postby dlb » May 5th, 2010, 7:00 am

grmtnbkr wrote:Conditions update anyone?

Was there yesterday. The trail is in great shape, just watch out for a downed tree right after the technical, switchback downhill.
The DNR did a burn through the small loop a week or so ago. It's cool being able to see through the woods in that section.
dlb

Postby purple helmet » May 21st, 2010, 7:29 pm

it's amazing how you don't think you need something until you have it...

the new changing rooms are really, really nice!! kudos to whoever came up with that idea. torrential thunderstorm rain, caked w/mud, and i had a nice dry place to clean up and get dressed (that didn't smell like a pit toilet)

8)
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby SteveF » May 24th, 2010, 6:37 am

It's pretty cool--well ventilated and enough privacy. I guess someone got tired of people trying to squirm out of their sweaty bibshorts in their car eh?

Trail was in great shape on sunday--sand was damp from the rain late last week but no mud so it was fast and fun! And hot! Yikes, I'm not conditioned for 80+ degrees yet...that 3rd lap hurt!
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Biggredd911 » June 15th, 2010, 10:44 am

I plan on going to Yankee for the first time on Thursday the 17th; how are the trails lookin?
Epic Comp Carbon Fat69er
Foes Mutz
Biggredd911

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions