Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby blamp28 » June 15th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Just finished a ride and the trail is in great shape. You should be good to go!
User avatar
blamp28
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: March 22nd, 2004, 10:01 am
Location: Spring Lake

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby DFray » June 16th, 2010, 8:54 am

Looks like Yankee got a lot of rain last night.....Still ok for riding Thursday?

Thanks!
El Mariachi, still 1x9, still rigid.
DFray
 
Posts: 265
Joined: October 22nd, 2005, 8:30 am
Location: Whitehouse, OH

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby blamp28 » June 16th, 2010, 9:30 am

Yankee drains well. I would ride it tonight without worrys so tomorrow should be no issue. There were a few damp spots last night from the pouring rain earlier in the day and the trail was great. If anything, the rain will tend to tame the sand a bit perhaps. Enjoy the ride.
User avatar
blamp28
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: March 22nd, 2004, 10:01 am
Location: Spring Lake

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby Biggredd911 » June 16th, 2010, 8:06 pm

A little mud never hurt, heck I'm use to Burchfield near Lansing; lets just say their is a section called "swampthing" and it regularly floods after a little rain.

Their is a group ride on Thursdays right? anyone? anyone? Time? anyone? anyone? ....Bueller? Bueller?
User avatar
Biggredd911
 
Posts: 43
Joined: May 13th, 2010, 3:59 pm
Location: Okemos

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby blamp28 » June 17th, 2010, 9:51 am

My friend rode thge trail yesterday and told me that there are quite a few limbs down. He pulled some off the trail but you may need to watch for that.
User avatar
blamp28
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: March 22nd, 2004, 10:01 am
Location: Spring Lake

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby Biggredd911 » June 18th, 2010, 8:31 am

Biggredd911 wrote:A little mud never hurt, heck I'm use to Burchfield near Lansing; lets just say their is a section called "swampthing" and it regularly floods after a little rain.

Their is a group ride on Thursdays right? anyone? anyone? Time? anyone? anyone? ....Bueller? Bueller?


Went yesterday and got there at about noon. This was one of the most beautiful trails I've ever been on! Not the most challenging nor exciting but definitly had some awsome views (all that sunshine probably helped). I feel like an idiot because I can't remember the mile location sections but the one area where it is nothing but old-growth pines that had all their lims off was really cool; they were sky high and almost planted geometrically. I also loved the section deep in the woods where you seem to just keep going into a left-handed downward spiral and ended with a small jump.... actually that's what the section should be dubbed "The Downward Spiral"

A lot of sand, but it wasn't the wet and sticky sand that destroys drivetrains. All in all I had a blast! I'll be back to Yankee Spring for a group ride next time!
User avatar
Biggredd911
 
Posts: 43
Joined: May 13th, 2010, 3:59 pm
Location: Okemos

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby blamp28 » June 18th, 2010, 9:06 am

Biggredd911 wrote:I feel like an idiot because I can't remember the mile location sections but the one area where it is nothing but old-growth pines that had all their lims off was really cool; they were sky high and almost planted geometrically. I also loved the section deep in the woods where you seem to just keep going into a left-handed downward spiral and ended with a small jump.... actually that's what the section should be dubbed "The Downward Spiral"

A lot of sand, but it wasn't the wet and sticky sand that destroys drivetrains. All in all I had a blast! I'll be back to Yankee Spring for a group ride next time!


The first section is actually called "The Pines" on the trail map and begins around mile 6.5 if you did the warmup loop. The second section you refer to is quite a blast. Were there any trees or major limbs still down or accross the trail?
User avatar
blamp28
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: March 22nd, 2004, 10:01 am
Location: Spring Lake

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby Biggredd911 » June 21st, 2010, 11:19 pm

blamp28 wrote:
Biggredd911 wrote:I feel like an idiot because I can't remember the mile location sections but the one area where it is nothing but old-growth pines that had all their lims off was really cool; they were sky high and almost planted geometrically. I also loved the section deep in the woods where you seem to just keep going into a left-handed downward spiral and ended with a small jump.... actually that's what the section should be dubbed "The Downward Spiral"

A lot of sand, but it wasn't the wet and sticky sand that destroys drivetrains. All in all I had a blast! I'll be back to Yankee Spring for a group ride next time!


The first section is actually called "The Pines" on the trail map and begins around mile 6.5 if you did the warmup loop. The second section you refer to is quite a blast. Were there any trees or major limbs still down or accross the trail?

Nah, no problems at all man. I did make the mistake of venturing to the Devil's soup bowl... yeah...that aint designed for biking. That trail hurt my pride; had to walk the bike back up to the main trail.
User avatar
Biggredd911
 
Posts: 43
Joined: May 13th, 2010, 3:59 pm
Location: Okemos

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby gtrowbridge » June 22nd, 2010, 11:54 am

Gooser and I rode the trail on Saturday. Great day not too hot.
What a great trail. I haven't ridden the trail since the mid 90s when I had a no-squishy bike. The Trek Fuel was much better this time.
I forgot how much sand is out there. Wow. Good thing it had rained the day before.

One thing is Gooser had his shoe and sock torn open by a root 500 ft into the trail, on the downhill grade just down from where the TTs were starting. Did significant damage to his foot...although he completed the ride better than I did (my legs were lost somewhere on the trail).
Anyway, probably we should cut that root back. Had it hit directly on top of the foot or caught an ankle there would probably be broken bones and/or stitches.
It was in a dished out part of the trail where you go between two smaller 6 to 8 inch trees. There is a small bypass others are taking around it on both sides.

Additionally there is a tree down that is about 2ft in diameter on a downhill curve that you can't see until you run into it. I think it is between C and D on the map. Pretty sure. I didn't have a map with me so I couldn't tell exactly where we were.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 244
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby Briana » June 23rd, 2010, 3:59 pm

EEK! Today the trail is a lot more washed out than on Monday... keep your eyes out for many loose large rocks, they're all washed to the surface right now... roots washed out more.... actually, makes the DHs fun! But be carefull, and the sand that looks like it has been all smoothed out... thats just to trick ya... its all about three inches thick!
User avatar
Briana
 
Posts: 685
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 2:38 pm
Location: Battle Creek, Michigan

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby pugman » June 24th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Must agree with Briana, just rode today and the sand and mud can really catch you by surprise if you havent been to yankee since April. There are a couple of trees down, one fairly early in the loop and other about half way through. We removed a third.
AYHSMB.....BikesnobNYC
User avatar
pugman
 
Posts: 230
Joined: October 25th, 2004, 7:18 am
Location: Back to K-zoo, where the wild things are.

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby Brent » June 25th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Rode Yankee this afternoon. Sandy, sandy, sandy, with a hint of squishy and wash out. It grabbed my front tire a few times with exciting results.
User avatar
Brent
 
Posts: 121
Joined: October 13th, 2006, 1:05 pm
Location: Mulliken, MI

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby gtrowbridge » June 25th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Where do you suppose the sand goes in the winter time that make riding in the spring so much better?
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 244
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » July 20th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Rode today. No trees down. Sand super deep now as usual, I was almost knee deep in spots I swear. Other than that fast.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
User avatar
G.R.XC-MTNBKR
 
Posts: 826
Joined: May 14th, 2004, 10:52 am
Location: G.R

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby blamp28 » July 20th, 2010, 10:07 pm

Rode this evening and as usual, the rain has left the trail in great shape. I did come accross a couple of novices riding the trail in the wrong direction. They turned around but soon turned back the other way.
User avatar
blamp28
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: March 22nd, 2004, 10:01 am
Location: Spring Lake

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 8 guests