Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby bleve » July 21st, 2010, 12:10 am

I only ride this trail once or twice a year but Monday it was quite sandy. Really wish I had the energy to go back out Tuesday to see the difference after the solid rain there overnight, too many other things going on though. My only beef was all of the raspberries had been eaten so I had no excuse to stop on the trail!
bleve

Postby vintagefisher » July 31st, 2010, 1:14 pm

went riding out there thursday...forgot how brutal it is riding rigid...and even though it rained the day before the sand was still horrible. There were spots where one side of the trail was a mud puddle and the other was 3inches deep of loose sand. Still a great ride though.
'09 Bianchi Sok 29 SS Niner carbon and blunts
vintagefisher

Postby gtrowbridge » August 1st, 2010, 9:06 pm

vintagefisher wrote: There were spots where one side of the trail was a mud puddle and the other was 3inches deep of loose sand.

We should mix the two and it would be perfect.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 3rd, 2010, 7:44 am

vintagefisher wrote:went riding out there thursday...forgot how brutal it is riding rigid...and even though it rained the day before the sand was still horrible. There were spots where one side of the trail was a mud puddle and the other was 3inches deep of loose sand. Still a great ride though.

A couple weeks and we'll be wishing it was only 3 inches deep. Most of it is already deeper than that. :)
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby ReidRules18 » August 16th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Rode the trial today 8/16 and there is sand. Not sure if that is stating the obvious or not :D
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby dlb » August 19th, 2010, 7:24 pm

Yeah, it's a sandbox, but that's just the way it is this time of year. It looks like the road commission took down a bunch of trees along Gun Lake Rd. One of these trees is down across the trail, so be careful. It's right where you come out along Gun Lake rd. and there's that little stream that comes out from under the road.
Hopefully they will be back soon to cut it out of the way.
dlb

Postby dirtjunkie » August 30th, 2010, 2:21 pm

Rode the trail yesterday (8/29/2010). It's in pretty rough shape.

There is a large tree down in the devils soup bowl area (hills with about 3 miles to go).

The road commission did a huge tree trimming project down Gun Lake rd, which is the blacktop road that is along the south (right) side of the southern most portion of the trail. There is a large amount of debris/logs/branches throughout this entire section. It's been there long enough that there are some creative route-arounds already established.

Be careful!
dirtjunkie

Postby blamp28 » September 27th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Rode the trail tonight. It is in great shape!
blamp28

Postby pharus » October 6th, 2010, 1:24 pm

I'm riding out there for my first time this weekend. Sounds like I need some big balloon tires to get through all the sand out there!
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby blamp28 » October 6th, 2010, 1:40 pm

I ride 2.1" tires and get through the sand just fine. The trail is in Awesome shape!! I did a couple laps Monday after work.
blamp28

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » October 6th, 2010, 4:38 pm

pharus wrote:I'm riding out there for my first time this weekend. Sounds like I need some big balloon tires to get through all the sand out there!

Just hold on tight to your bars and keep pedaling and you'll make it. Have Fun
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Bigtymer » October 6th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Riding threw sand fast feels like floating threw powder snow on skis.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby pharus » October 10th, 2010, 9:26 pm

We had a great ride there on Saturday. Yes, there's quite a number of sandy spots, but if you push your handlebars forward and keep pedaling, its not that big of an issue. There was one gnarly hill we didn't make it up, it had a number of man-made steps in it, maybe someday if I know its coming I could make it. Nice flowing trail, too bad its in the middle of BFE.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » October 11th, 2010, 12:44 pm

pharus wrote:We had a great ride there on Saturday. Yes, there's quite a number of sandy spots, but if you push your handlebars forward and keep pedaling, its not that big of an issue. There was one gnarly hill we didn't make it up, it had a number of man-made steps in it, maybe someday if I know its coming I could make it. Nice flowing trail, too bad its in the middle of BFE.

Yea the rest of those steps are brand new. So if you thought it was hard now imagine with no steps. It was a fun challenge. It used to take practice to find the line but now you just need to power through it. It is a great trail though. Although is slowly becoming easier and easier. :(
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby dlb » October 11th, 2010, 2:46 pm

You're right, the steps have made it easier to get up. I really like the two or three newer sections that were put in a couple of years ago. I think there could be some re-routing done on a few other sections as well. Maybe next spring?
dlb

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions