Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby dirtjunkie » October 21st, 2010, 9:34 am

Yankee was pretty sweet last night. Got in two loops...2nd with lights. Trails fast!

Helped a guy with some Stans in the parking lot...from Byron Center? PM me if you want to ride with our group....and I hope that the quick fix helped!!
dirtjunkie

Postby kms662 » October 27th, 2010, 11:48 am

Anyone been on the trail yesterday or this morning? Looking for a condition report as to any / how many trees are down.
kms662

Postby dirtjunkie » October 28th, 2010, 7:47 am

kms662 wrote:Anyone been on the trail yesterday or this morning? Looking for a condition report as to any / how many trees are down.

Thanks for pulling some of those logs out of the way kms.....we tried to do our share too!

Quite a bit of debri on the trail....and numerous logs to deal with. There were trees down on our second loop that were not down on our first loop! Crazy night of riding.

There is a new re-route just prior to the first of two rubber matts.
dirtjunkie

Postby kms662 » October 28th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Think I counted about 10 trees down on the main trail during my second loop last night. The largest was maybe 14" in diameter. Many could be hopped.

Don't recall any trees down on the 2 mile starter loop that couldn't be hopped. A lot of sticks, branches & debris though.
kms662

Postby dirtjunkie » November 1st, 2010, 9:20 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you to whoever is doing the trail fairy work at Yankee. Numerous trees down after Tue and Wed nights wind storms....trail was great yesterday. I do my share with what I can manage to pull out of the way, but there were areas that needed the chainsaw.

THANK YOU!
dirtjunkie

Postby tdf2437 » November 1st, 2010, 1:02 pm

I'm starting to get discouraged.... I see the various posts which say either Yankee is fast right now and/or getting easier. For me, this trail has been extremely challenging this year. I was much faster on this trail two years ago compared to today, regardless of any added reroutes or extra distance. I think the trail is much harder and more techincal than it use to be. It seems like I have to focus and really concentrate on where I need to place the front tire at all times. I must be getting old and slow!!!! But it's still a great place to train for iceman. Two full loops of Yankee without stopping = Iceman ready.
everyone wants everyone else's everything
tdf2437

Postby dirtjunkie » November 1st, 2010, 1:16 pm

tdf2437 wrote:I'm starting to get discouraged.... I see the various posts which say either Yankee is fast right now and/or getting easier. For me, this trail has been extremely challenging this year. I was much faster on this trail two years ago compared to today, regardless of any added reroutes or extra distance. I think the trail is much harder and more techincal than it use to be. It seems like I have to focus and really concentrate on where I need to place the front tire at all times. I must be getting old and slow!!!! But it's still a great place to train for iceman. Two full loops of Yankee without stopping = Iceman ready.

TDF: Yankee is always challenging!!! That's what makes it so fun in my book. It's not a trail that you can day-dream on for sure!! The hills are tough, and some of the downhills are getting pretty rooty. I think that some of the re-routes have added flavor to the trail (the last one with the switch backs in the pines with about 1 mile to go is really fun).

I think when people say "it's getting fast", it just means that the sandy sections aren't quite as sandy...and the smoother sections are really packed down.

It's a tough trail....2 x through is a great day!!
dirtjunkie

Postby cramer » November 3rd, 2010, 4:26 pm

tdf2437 wrote:I'm starting to get discouraged.... I see the various posts which say either Yankee is fast right now and/or getting easier. For me, this trail has been extremely challenging this year. I was much faster on this trail two years ago compared to today, regardless of any added reroutes or extra distance. I think the trail is much harder and more techincal than it use to be. It seems like I have to focus and really concentrate on where I need to place the front tire at all times. I must be getting old and slow!!!! But it's still a great place to train for iceman. Two full loops of Yankee without stopping = Iceman ready.

+1

I was wondering if maybe I was getting spoiled riding other west side trails like Luton that are a lot less rooted, or like you said, just getting old! When I ride Yankee now, it's a much more technically challenging trail to me compared to what I remember historically (not that there is anything wrong with that). The sand doesn't bother me out there, it never did actually, but the roots are getting pretty nasty. Riding with no suspension doesn't help either. My guess is that if you ride it a few times you can figure out the best lines and dial up the speed but for now, I have to ride it slower than I used to.

I was somewhat surprised to see "the trail is fast now" and similar comments for the same reason, it wasn't getting fast for me. Of course nobody wants to comment that it's getting more difficult lest they be called out on the internets for being a poor rider.
cramer

Postby dirtjunkie » November 4th, 2010, 8:13 am

Folks..

Seems like my comments about the trail getting fast are being mis interpreted....

When I commented about that condition, what I meant was that the areas that were getting quite sandy are back to being packed down.

Yankee is normally faster (read: sand is packed down and the trail rolls quicker) in the spring and fall, when the moisture is coming up out of the ground and the trail is packed nicely. From about mid-Jun through Sept, the trail is "slower", due to the increase in deep sand. The deeper sand slows most of us mortals down. If you roll into a section that was previously 6 inches deep with sand, and it's now void of sand, packed down and smooth....you're going to go faster.

That's all I meant. I did not mean to imply that the roots were gone nor the rocks had disappeared. Sorry if it came across that way. The trail is challenging, regardless of the month that you ride it. Knowing the trail helps with line choice for sure, and it's clear that the folks who work on the trail do a good job. There were 8 spots with trees down last Friday....by Sunday, they were all cleared out.

I rode the trail again last night....it was less sandy than in July. :D
dirtjunkie

Postby kms662 » November 4th, 2010, 2:16 pm

dirtjunkie wrote:Thank you, thank you, thank you to whoever is doing the trail fairy work at Yankee. Numerous trees down after Tue and Wed nights wind storms....trail was great yesterday. I do my share with what I can manage to pull out of the way, but there were areas that needed the chainsaw.

THANK YOU!

+1

Another big THANK YOU to whoever removed the downed trees from the trail this past week! Especially considering it looks like some were cleared with an axe as opposed to a chainsaw...that's a lot of work!!
kms662

Postby dlb » November 9th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Just got back from a ride. I agree that the trail is fast, but there are so many leaves down that if you don't know where the roots and rocks are it can
be treacherous! The new section is a nice addition to the trail. I would definitely join in on some trail maintenance if whoever is doing it wants some help.
dlb

Postby billmania » November 12th, 2010, 5:29 pm

The trail is in great shape for this time of year, even if it is a little bumpy.
Anyone find a pair of Giant gloves out there?
billmania

Postby kms662 » November 12th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Rode two loops today and the trail is in good shape but sand is starting to get soft and deep due to the warm weather and lack of rain. Get out there and enjoy it!
kms662

Postby kms662 » November 19th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Two mile starter loop and main trail are clear of trees & branches. Sand is a little more firm than last week but still soft in spots. Know there are plenty of hunters out in the woods but didn't see or hear them.
kms662

Postby DHackRSX » November 20th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Wow! The 1st section all the way to the guard rail hill was incredible last night!

The slight uphill right after you drop into the trail is almost like riding on the road.

The leaves are packed down and chewed up really nice by all the riders.

The burms are nice and solid...."No Brakes"

The straight sandy section towards the end is still pretty deep.

It was all fun.

I wouldn't want to do it on a rigid fork though......
DHackRSX

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions