Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby PK » June 26th, 2020, 10:36 am

I trimmed the Pines today.
Enjoy.
Pete
PK

Postby PK » June 27th, 2020, 11:20 am

Trails are all good today. (2) little puddles on the RollerCoaster but that's it.
Wet / slick rocks and roots otherwise, Tacky-fast.
Pete
PK

Postby wrob » July 2nd, 2020, 12:10 pm

Is there a map showing the " sensitive habitat areas" around Mt . Sheldon? That F.B.photo looks like major excavation.not my idea of single track, but i'm probably in a small minority here, i only need a foot or two of trail bed and room for the groo mer.just wondering how much bulldozing is needed to make an MTB trail? I prefer a minimum foot print if at all possible.
wrob

Postby ChrisW3st » July 2nd, 2020, 12:39 pm

wrob wrote:Is there a map showing the " sensitive habitat areas" around Mt . Sheldon? That F.B.photo looks like major excavation.not my idea of single track, but i'm probably in a small minority here, i only need a foot or two of trail bed and room for the groo mer.just wondering how much bulldozing is needed to make an MTB trail? I prefer a minimum foot print if at all possible.
From the article

“Loop A consists of the Metroparks’ first natural surface handcycle accessible trail, and users will be able to rent a handcycle from the park to experience it for themselves (thanks to a grant from the League of Michigan Bicyclists). “
Chris Westerlund
CRAMBA - NMBP
LTU - MTB
ChrisW3st

Postby wrob » July 2nd, 2020, 12:59 pm

I saw that map showing the"handcycle", trail it's a wonderful addition , that wasn't my question.
wrob

Postby ChrisW3st » July 2nd, 2020, 1:04 pm

wrob wrote:I saw that map showing the"handcycle", trail it's a wonderful addition , that wasn't my question.
The trail currently being cut is wider because of the hand cycle accessibility.
Chris Westerlund
CRAMBA - NMBP
LTU - MTB
ChrisW3st

Postby wrob » July 2nd, 2020, 1:10 pm

I saw the map,i understand that, that term was used in the HCMA post, does the public have a right to know where the sensitive areas are? Just asking , i can't make it any clearer.
wrob

Postby PK » July 2nd, 2020, 1:22 pm

The park doesn't want people in the "sensitive areas" thus, there likely won't be a map showing folks where not to go because then folks WOULD simply go there because that's what people do.
(With, or without masks :shock: )

Pete
PK

Postby wrob » July 2nd, 2020, 1:25 pm

I don't buy that political answer, just thought the public had a right to know, it's our land. How is it enforceable without signage or fencing to let the public know. As i recall Holland Ponds( for example did have red "keep out " signs in the Heron Rookery , and the Inwood Trails are posted " no bikes", i 'll say it again: the hand cycle trail is a wonderful addition, maybe the answer is this: "the major excavation being done on the new trails will not be done in sensitive areas". I don't know, i didn't think it was a big deal to ask a simple question
Last edited by wrob on July 2nd, 2020, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrob

Postby ChrisW3st » July 2nd, 2020, 1:32 pm

wrob wrote:I saw the map,i understand that, that term was used in the HCMA post, does the public have a right to know where the sensitive areas are? Just asking , i can't make it any clearer.
Okay I know what you’re talking about now. This has the study of the existing trails which outlines the concerns. There is no specific location of a sensitive area but rather sporadic areas throughout the trails

http://www.metroparks.com/wp-content/up ... pdf?x91894
Chris Westerlund
CRAMBA - NMBP
LTU - MTB
ChrisW3st

Postby wrob » July 2nd, 2020, 1:44 pm

Thanks
wrob

Postby wrob » July 2nd, 2020, 3:37 pm

I checked the maps, looks like a 48", 72", or 96" corridor needs much more wider clearing than i would have thought,my guess is that the budget for ground cover restoration will be high, hopefully they'll replant properly and not just seed with that "Freeway Rye" that's used along the MUP's.
wrob

Postby c0nsumer » July 2nd, 2020, 4:59 pm

Loop B, the one currently being built, won't be handcycle accessible. However, it's the normal width for machine built stuff. DTE looked like this as well. It'll nicely settle/grow back in.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby wrob » July 2nd, 2020, 5:29 pm

I hope the 8 ft. wide corridor with probably a 20 ft. wide clear cut does grow back and settle in nicely, we'll see, when i supported more s. t. at Stony i didn't anticipate a DTE type "flow trail", don't get me wrong , DTE is fantastic! I just like narrow s.t.with awkward turns and imperfect flow. I have many great trails to choose from. No need to remind me.Bottom Line: i hope everyone will enjoy it and have all the great rides so many of us have had for over 30 years.
wrob

Postby PK » July 3rd, 2020, 9:18 am

Tree down near the base of the Snakes climb up to Mt Sheldon.
Live cherry I think.
Park has been notified.
It could be cut with a large hand saw but it likely would be a challenge.
If you get to it before the park does, post up.

Thanks.
Pete
PK

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions